Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Downton Abbey - Series Three

edited September 2012 in Not Sports Related
How good was that last night?

Couldn't fault it - and to see Maggie Smith and Shirley MacLean go head to head was just a hoot.

Absolute masterpiece.

Comments

• Options
    Gutting ! missed it , was watching the mentalist , forgot it was on.
  • Options
    Usually the sort of thing I detest but I was hooked right from the first series.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Lord Grantham definitely wasn't a Charlton fan. No watching Tommy Dowling or Seth Plum for him!

How do I know?

His new footman is too tall according to Carson :-)
  • Options
    I'm enjoying Parade's End as well. I once got the book from the library and found it unreadable .. whoever did the screenplay must be a master of innovation
  • Options
    Brilliant. Maggie Smith is fantastic.
  • Options

I'm enjoying Parade's End as well. I once got the book from the library and found it unreadable .. whoever did the screenplay must be a master of innovation

Tom Stoppard if I remember correctly
  • Options
    Downton Abbey? You sure?

Is this some sort of sick wind up for Us blokes doing the "Would ya's?" Ffs

; )
  • Options
    I normally come on Charlton life when my wife watches that crap, now it's on here!!
  • Options
    Did they say, 'Did that hit the spot' in 1920?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Come on, even you grunts on here must have a guilty pleasure that also expresses your more feminine side ? Not me you understand, I prefer cross dressing!
  • Options

Come on, even you grunts on here must have a guilty pleasure that also expresses your more feminine side ? Not me you understand, I prefer cross dressing!

Better than walking round the house in a Palarse kit!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Nicholas said:

I normally come on Charlton life when my wife watches that crap, now it's on here!!

I realise this is a slightly tongue in cheek comment but I can assure you that you won't go soft or be accused of being too in touch with your feminine side by watching it.

I admire the programme on a number of levels

1. It is brilliantly acted
    2. The settings are superb
    3. The scripts are great
    4. The costumes are sumptuous
    5. Most importantly for me, the scripts weave their way through the social history of the time in way that books or museums, even documentaries cannot match. This week we experienced the Irish question plus the financial challenges of stock holdings in the post railway mania age.

Like Upstairs Downstairs before it (the original version), they are far and away the best drama series that ITV have made and also amongst the best that UK TV have produced.

My family worked for rich landowning Lords. My Great Grandfather was a woodman, and my Great Aunts were parlour maids. There was massive social upheaval during this period and it affected millions of people. Many of my family lost their jobs as the rich landowning estates downsized or were sold off.

Another of my Great Aunts was an Irish Catholic who married an Englishman. She could never resist a dig at the "murdering British" and the "filthy Black and Tans". This series deals with some of these issues and it kindles and re-kindles my interest in the history of these times.

There is much there to watch.

• Options
    But is there any cross dressing in it?
  • Options

Not that I have seen. There are plenty of corsetts and stocking though.......

• Options

I came over all peculiar when Lady Sybil got into bed.....
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

I came over all peculiar when Lady Sybil got into bed.....
    Who is Peculiar?
  • Options

Nicholas said:

I realise this is a slightly tongue in cheek comment but I can assure you that you won't go soft or be accused of being too in touch with your feminine side by watching it.

I admire the programme on a number of levels

1. It is brilliantly acted
    2. The settings are superb
    3. The scripts are great
    4. The costumes are sumptuous
    5. Most importantly for me, the scripts weave their way through the social history of the time in way that books or museums, even documentaries cannot match. This week we experienced the Irish question plus the financial challenges of stock holdings in the post railway mania age.

Like Upstairs Downstairs before it (the original version), they are far and away the best drama series that ITV have made and also amongst the best that UK TV have produced.

My family worked for rich landowning Lords. My Great Grandfather was a woodman, and my Great Aunts were parlour maids. There was massive social upheaval during this period and it affected millions of people. Many of my family lost their jobs as the rich landowning estates downsized or were sold off.

Another of my Great Aunts was an Irish Catholic who married an Englishman. She could never resist a dig at the "murdering British" and the "filthy Black and Tans". This series deals with some of these issues and it kindles and re-kindles my interest in the history of these times.

There is much there to watch.

Don't like it myself but I understand why some like it so didn't want to slag it off too much but the above is way over the top.

Downton Abbey and Parade's End are dumbed down classical dramas - nothing wrong with that, I like more than my fair share of dumbed down TV, just not this. But it is dumbed down classical drama nonetheless.

• Options
    What do you count as classical drama on TV charente Addick?
  • Options
    Emmerdale
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

What do you count as classical drama on TV charente Addick?

Personal opinion, but I would say most classical drama on TV is 'dumbed down' to get ratings - I was thinking more in comparison with films like Remains of the Day & Elizabeth.

I'm not trying to offend anyone who tunes in to it - I watch X Factor in the full knowledge that it's garbage. I just thought that Bing's observations were more than a little over the top - it's just watchable TV for a lot of people, nothing more.

• Options
    I love Downton & X factor!
  • Options
    Addickted said:

How good was that last night?

Couldn't fault it - and to see Maggie Smith and Shirley MacLean go head to head was just a hoot.

Absolute masterpiece.

quality programme

• Options
    edited September 2012

I enjoy Downton as I did Upstairs, Downstairs but no way are they the best drama series by ITV IMHO

Brideshead Revisited was and is 100 better and so was Jewel in the Crown.

I'd also put Morse and even the Sweeny above them.
  • Options

I enjoy Downton as I did Upstairs, Downstairs but no way are they the best drama series by ITV IMHO

I've never watched DA so no comment - but I'd put Seinfeld above all those.
  • Options
    Not made by ITV
  • Options

Its all a matter of opinion. It's also true to say that I never watched Morse, Brideshead or Jewel in the Crown or much of The Sweeney. Perhaps I should have said, of those that I have have watched. We can only comment on those things we have actually seen.
  • Options

Its all a matter of opinion. It's also true to say that I never watched Morse, Brideshead or Jewel in the Crown or much of The Sweeney. Perhaps I should have said, of those that I have have watched. We can only comment on those things we have actually seen.
    You know what to ask Mrs Bing for for Xmas then : - )

BR is a fantastic adaptation of one of my favourite books. JITC is great too.

• Options

You know what to ask Mrs Bing for for Xmas then : - )

BR is a fantastic adaptation of one of my favourite books. JITC is great too.

BR was avidly watched by my sister and thus at the time a compulsory miss as far as I was concerned. I definitely have now got more in touch with my feminine side - so perhaps I will!

JITC was a favourite of my Dad - having spent some of the war in India. I'm not really sure why I didn't watch it. Probably because it was on ITV and I didn't believe they could better Upstairs Downstairs.....:-)
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply Charante, I don't entirely agree, but I can see the point you make. If we are talking quality, I Claudius takes a lot of beating.