Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Parking at the retail park near Halfords / PC World - Fined £95

2»

Comments

• Options
    Swisdom said:

I'm sure there is CCTV in there though so hard to say it wasn't me

Except they don't know what you look like and never take these things to court so will never find out!

• Options
    honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/keywords/?word=parking+fines

Try this - lots of good advice, though the whole topic is a minefield.
  • Options
    Anyone know what I can do about a ticket from Lidl's in Eltham? seems they have changed the length of time you can park there and I have been caught out
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Anyone know what I can do about a ticket from Lidl's in
    Eltham? seems they have changed the length of time you can park there and I have been caught out</blockquote

Ignore it I did, they sent me 3 letters ignored all of them that was 2 years ago not heard another thing

• Options
    Is it the car park opp Ransome walk? If so, we parked there for the Palace game and have heard nothing (yet!) and we looked all over for the cameras and couldn't find any
  • Options
    It's the one round the back of Lidl's in Eltham High Street, always used to be 2 hour stay but apparently its now 60 minutes
  • Options
    Appeal
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Well I thought I'd update folk on here.

My original fine related to 21st August and they finally wrote to me on 20 Sept. Against much of the advice in this thread I got this paid.

You can imagine my delight this morning when I got ANOTHER fine through the post dated 14th September which was posted to me on 18th October.

I am contesting this one because I now believe they are deliberately delaying sending these fines out so that they can get people multiple times knowing fully well that people will use the same car park repeatedly. Naturally if I had got the fine in good time I would never have parked there again!

Really hope nobody else gets caught out by this
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Well I thought I'd update folk on here.

My original fine related to 21st August and they finally wrote to me on 20 Sept. Against much of the advice in this thread I got this paid.

You can imagine my delight this morning when I got ANOTHER fine through the post dated 14th September which was posted to me on 18th October.

I am contesting this one because I now believe they are deliberately delaying sending these fines out so that they can get people multiple times knowing fully well that people will use the same car park repeatedly. Naturally if I had got the fine in good time I would never have parked there again!

Really hope nobody else gets caught out by this

Presumably they had the same notices up about parking on both occasions?
  • Options
    Nothing changed but they had signage for years and I've never had a problem before.

The good news is it took longer than 28 days to notify me and, by law, that's too long so planning to fight this one
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kings Hill Addick said: So does that mean that if someone parks on my drive I can't do anything about it? Does that mean that I can drive into the car park at The Valley on a match day and park in the Chairman's space and they can't do anything about it?

I'm not disputing what you say, but they're must be something that protects people's right to stop others from parking on their land?

Strange one this. We have a social club about 200yds down the road from my house and on busy days w*****s insist on parking across our drive crossover hence blocking our exit or entrance to the house. I confronted one bloke who refused to move even though I told him that I was going out so I called the police who duly came and removed the vehicle much to the owners anger I can tell you. However the policeman told me that if I had come home and couldn't get in my drive they are not entiled to move the car so they can only act if you are blocked in but not if you are blocked out. I mean who thinks this up?

On the other hand I get incendescent with these people who park their car in parallel to legally parked cars in the Sherrington Road area on match days because they live there. Its illegal and dangerous but the police ignore it.
  • Options

Kings Hill Addick said: So does that mean that if someone parks on my drive I can't do anything about it? Does that mean that I can drive into the car park at The Valley on a match day and park in the Chairman's space and they can't do anything about it?

I'm not disputing what you say, but they're must be something that protects people's right to stop others from parking on their land?

Strange one this. We have a social club about 200yds down the road from my house and on busy days w*****s insist on parking across our drive crossover hence blocking our exit or entrance to the house. I confronted one bloke who refused to move even though I told him that I was going out so I called the police who duly came and removed the vehicle much to the owners anger I can tell you. However the policeman told me that if I had come home and couldn't get in my drive they are not entiled to move the car so they can only act if you are blocked in but not if you are blocked out. I mean who thinks this up?

On the other hand I get incendescent with these people who park their car in parallel to legally parked cars in the Sherrington Road area on match days because they live there. Its illegal and dangerous but the police ignore it.

I suspect the plod might be right (partially). I believe the offence is unreasonably obstructing the highway NOT highway users. That's obstructing the free flow of traffic ALONG the highway. So, that's you coming out of your drive. But if you were already on the highway, you could easily - if very inconveniently - drive straight on: hence the law may not apply.

However, I think there is still a the common law public nuisance offence. S28 Town Police Clauses Act 1847 makes it an offence to obstruct the street to the distraction, annoyance or danger of residents or passengers. You might wish to draw this legislation to your local plod's attention and ask them politely whether it applies. Ancient law sure but it also could come in handy if anyone starts slaughtering cattle outside your house as it covers that too!