Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

John Bond, former Norwich & Man City manager, dies at 79

Sad news, a proper footballing man.
Former Norwich and Manchester City manager John Bond has died at the age of 79.
During three years in charge at Maine Road, Bond took City to the 1981 FA Cup final, where they lost to Tottenham.
He also took Norwich to Wembley for the 1975 League Cup final but missed out on the trophy as Aston Villa beat his Canaries 1-0.
John Bond factfile
Made 381 appearances as a player for West Ham United between 1950-1966
Finished playing career at Torquay United
Managed Bournemouth, Norwich City, Manchester City, Burnley, Swansea City, Birmingham City, Shrewsbury Town and Witton Albion
As a player, was a member of the West Ham side that won the 1957-58 Second Division title and the 1964 FA Cup
Managed Norwich City to the 1975 League Cup final and Manchester City to the 1981 FA Cup final
He spent 16 years as a player at West Ham, making 444 appearances and winning the FA Cup in 1964.
The right-back finished his career with a two-year stint at Torquay before taking his first steps into management at Bournemouth.
In November 1973 he took charge at Norwich and recovered from relegation during his first season in charge to win promotion back to the top flight a year later.
He resigned in 1980, replacing Malcolm Allison at Manchester City, and took the club to the FA Cup final during his first campaign as manager.
Bond went on to manage Burnley, Swansea, Birmingham and Shrewsbury without repeating his earlier success.
His last post as a manager was a short spell at Northern Premier League side Witton Albion in 1998.
Manchester City club ambassador and former player Mike Summerbee has fond memories of his time playing against Bond.
"I knew John from when I was 16 years old," he told BBC Radio Manchester.
"I played for Swindon against him when he was at West Ham. We had some wonderful times off the field.
"He was such a lovely man and it's a very sad day. He was a football man. He knew the game inside out. As a person outside of football, he was a wonderful man.
"You could talk forever about his contribution to the game of football because he was so dedicated to the game and he loved the game so very much."

Comments

• RIP ... a self made man who always talked a good game .. Always good for a quote and made a fortune from talking rubbish on classic programmes like The Saint n Greavsie, always on the panels alongside Atkinson, more tomfoolery than MR T.
    Started the West Ham penchant for family dynasties, the Lampards and the Redknapps. His boy Kev was 'Arry's N0 2 at Spurs. A decent man who never took himself too seriously though everyone else did.
  • Was a real character, him and Allison were brilliant together in the infamous "City" documentary which chronicled their 1981 season when Bond replaced Big Mal as manager early in the season.

The relationship between Bond and Allison was fascinating and Peter Swales was right in there too, stirring the pot.

RIP.
  • Here is the link for that program with Bond and Allison, well worth watching.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=a3KVEy1XKoc

• Brilliant. Proper football. Days when you were actually ALLOWED to tackle, no names on shirts etc. Big Tommy Caton (sad) and Macca in some of the footage. Allison, Swales.....real characters. RIP John Bond.
  • Shocking goal keeping from Corrigan for the first 2 goals......

R.I.P JB
  • Thanks Ormiston for great u-tube clip. John Bond and Big Mal great soccer personalities. Condolences to Kevin Bond and his family on a very sad loss.
  • Shocking goal keeping from Corrigan for the first 2 goals......

R.I.P JB

Rubbish defending from our Tommy though for the first and he/the other CB didn't pick up Souness for the second.
  • Sad News indeed RIP