Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

German footie on ITV

Yesterday I found myself sharing the autobahn from Stuttgart to Nurnberg with thousands of VFB fans. Too late I realised I could have taken the game in if I had planned it in advance, but afterwards I discovered that it was a 43,000 sell-out (and Nurnberg are a nothing club, with a recent history of QPR levels). However I vaguely remembered reading that ITV are showing regular highlights, and sure enough there it is, Mondays, 22.00, ITV4. Going to be more fun than the FLS I reckon.

Comments

• Options
    The commentators are terrible but I enjoy the programme. The fans are excellent at every game. I can't reccomend going to a German city for a weekend to watch a game enough.
  • Options
    I've watched a few games via stream over past couple seasons. I really enjoyed it as the games appear competitive, quality action and great stadiums, pitches and supporters. You can see why they are so good at International level as most of the players appear to be German, they give youth more than a chance and appear to play without fear. I should watch more.
  • Options
    best league to be a supporter in Europe, no debate about it
  • Options
    I don't catch that many german games on ESPN but they always seem to have a lot of atmosphere and the footballs usually pretty good as well.
  • Options
    It helps that a season ticket at Borusia Dortmund can be bought for just £180, have to go down to League 1 in the UK for that, and it's just to imposed limits from the leagues, meaning you nearly always get sell-outs. Wish we had that in the UK rather than spiralling prices, not so bad at CAFC, but at QPR it was like £50 for an adult ticket at some games!
  • Options
    Any game involving Dortmund is normally good, they've got some great players and a fantastic atmosphere.
  • Options
    Did the TSV Munich derby fans are nuts
  • Options
    I envy the German fans. They had 80k for a third division Berlin derby last season.

• Options

Yesterday I found myself sharing the autobahn from Stuttgart to Nurnberg with thousands of VFB fans. Too late I realised I could have taken the game in if I had planned it in advance, but afterwards I discovered that it was a 43,000 sell-out (and Nurnberg are a nothing club, with a recent history of QPR levels). However I vaguely remembered reading that ITV are showing regular highlights, and sure enough there it is, Mondays, 22.00, ITV4. Going to be more fun than the FLS I reckon.

Maybe a bit harsh , 'a nothing club' but you did well mentioning their 'recent' history. When they won their ninth title in 1968, they were by far the team with the most trophies. They're still second best, far behind Bayern Munchen but still in front of Borussia Dortmund. A fallen giant.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    adrian said:

Maybe a bit harsh , 'a nothing club' but you did well mentioning their 'recent' history. When they won their ninth title in 1968, they were by far the team with the most trophies. They're still second best, far behind Bayern Munchen but still in front of Borussia Dortmund. A fallen giant.
    Wow, that'll teach me to look things up before posting such comments. I had just never registered them in European competitions. It's a pity they never win anything now, if they could draw my Viktoria Plzen in the Europa league, that would be a real derby, it's only 90 minutes by motorway between the two cities, zipping across a Schengen border that was an Iron Curtain...

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    They probably serve a nice pint and Bratwurst to.
  • Options

adrian said:

Wow, that'll teach me to look things up before posting such comments. I had just never registered them in European competitions. It's a pity they never win anything now, if they could draw my Viktoria Plzen in the Europa league, that would be a real derby, it's only 90 minutes by motorway between the two cities, zipping across a Schengen border that was an Iron Curtain...

Wow @adrain was right, they've won loads of stuff, I think they may have earned the right to be called massive:

National:
    German Football Championship, Oberliga Süd & Fußball-Bundesliga
    Champions: 1920, 1921, 1924, 1925, 1927, 1936, 1947–48, 1960–61, 1967–68
    Runners-up: 1922, 1934, 1937, 1961–62

DFB-Pokal
    Winners: 1935, 1939, 1962, 2007
    Runners-up: 1940, 1982

Süddeutsche Meisterschaft
    Champions: 1916, 1918, 1920, 1921, 1924, 1927, 1929

Southern German Cup
    Winners: 1919, 1924

Bavarian champions: 1907

Ostkreis-Liga
    Champions: 1916, 1918

Kreisliga Nordbayern
    Champions: 1920, 1921

Bezirksliga Bayern
    Champions: 1924, 1925, 1927

Bezirksliga Nordbayern
    Champions: 1929, 1932, 1933

Gauliga Bayern
    Champions: 1934, 1936, 1937, 1938, 1940

Gauliga Bayern (northern division)
    Champions: 1943, 1944

Oberliga Süd
    Champions: 1947, 1948, 1951, 1957, 1961, 1962

Regionalliga Süd (II)
    Champions: 1971

2nd Bundesliga Süd (II)
    Champions: 1980

2nd Bundesliga (II)
    Champions: 1985, 2001, 2004

International:
    Intertoto Cup
    Winners: 1968

Cheers Adrian I never knew that.
  • Options
    Thanks, will put this on series link. I'd like to go to St Pauli, purely because I've heard they have a "sausage train", but I don't actually know what this is.
  • Options
    That is interesting. My buddy is an Eintracht Frankfurt fan, that's sort of derby territory too, but he never seems to talk about Nurnberg. I'll ask him to comment.

I believe a nice pint at a German game is more or less a given
  • Options

Thanks, will put this on series link. I'd like to go to St Pauli, purely because I've heard they have a "sausage train", but I don't actually know what this is.

It's a train, well a mini one, that delivers sausages to the fans.

• Options

Somebody posted a foto of it on another thread, but can't remember which one it was

• Options

Think that is more likely to take place at Selhurst Park.

• Options
    I believe this is the fabled Sausage train:

• Options

That was what I imagined, but didn't dare to believe it could be real.

Ta Prague, just found the picture, that's remarkable. They also have the coolest supporter merch on the market, I'm a convert.
  • Options
    Great foto.

Although in Prague we prefer our model trains to bring the beers...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Intertoto Cup
    Winners: 1968

Can this be correct? I know it's on wikipedia but the intertoto was not around then surely. Is it another competition?

For those that are interested, Nurnberg have a Bauhaus style main stand.
  • Options
    I too took a double-take on the InterToto...
  • Options
    edited September 2012

That was what I imagined, but didn't dare to believe it could be real.

Ta Prague, just found the picture, that's remarkable. They also have the coolest supporter merch on the market, I'm a convert.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    It was first called the International Football Cup and was founded in 1961 but this changed to the Intertoto Cup in 1995 when the competition was taken over by uefa.

Read more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Intertoto_Cup
  • Options
    Off for a German footy weekend in December. Saturday: Bayer Leverkusen v Hamburg in Bundesliga1, Sunday: Bochum v Paderborn in Bundesliga2. Leverkusen is a suburb of Cologne which is a great city and should be excellent just before Christmas.

Means missing the Christmas Market in Bolton unfortunately...