Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Scrap The International Break

It has been common for many seasons now in the top two leagues that everytime there is a round of international qualifiers for either World Cup or Euros the seasons stop for two full weeks. I personally think that this should stop. Not the qualifiers or the World Cup or Euros but stopping the league when the qualifiers are on.

Firstly from a Charlton perpective, if we lose to Blackpool on Saturday we have to wait two weeks before putting having a chance to put things and getting it out the system. If we draw which on paper would not be a bad result at Blackpool but would probably leave us lagging further behind other teams just above us again there is the wait. A win would be great but then having just go a bit of momentum would leave having to wait two weeks to build on it. It would also free up 3 midweek fixtures.

Secondly from a football point of view, with the Premier League season finishing so late not and having to fit the FA Cup Final into a weekend when there are league fixtures it makes it stupid. If the fixtures played later in May were moved to those international weekends then the Cup Final would still be tradional and the season could finish in time.

Now I know the higher you go up the more internation players you've got but if the Prem scrapped the 25 man squad rule then it leaves bigger squad and on those days of internations I think squads are still big enough and it would give younger fringe players a chance to shine and keep the other players on their toes. At Charlton at the moment we could fit in most our first choice squad. But it could still work at Mans City & United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool level. Afterall in rugby union where teams are made of 15 players, 4 bigger than football, rugby carries on when a lot of rugby clubs lose their players to the Six Nations.

Such a measure would keep the game flowing across the season.

Comments

• Options
    Think we need a break gets JJ and Fuller fitter and 2 weeks closer to having Wiggins and Kerms back. But I do hate international football just don't care for it unless it's a major championship
  • Options
    I think you'll find its a UEFA or even a FIFA rule and all the other leagues abide by it around Europe and that there will not be any Serie A or La liga games next weekend for example. Remember it only exists for the top 2 divisons in England so next season you wont have any problems..............
  • Options

Think we need a break gets JJ and Fuller fitter and 2 weeks closer to having Wiggins and Kerms back. But I do hate international football just don't care for it unless it's a major championship

That's the only advantage of it...

I think you'll find its a UEFA or even a FIFA rule and all the other leagues abide by it around Europe and that there will not be any Serie A or La liga games next weekend for example. Remember it only exists for the top 2 divisons in England so next season you wont have any problems..............

That's the only upside of League 1

But I'm sure it would help with fixture conjestion across the whole of of Europe though if something like this is re examined.
  • Options
    Christ i'm actually struggling to get up for this now !

Thanks to the international break ! Scrap it !