Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kettering Town

Desperate times at my local team. Moved from Rockingham Road to Rushden and Diamonds old ground, players not paid, unpaid CVAs,

The end appears to be nigh for Kettering Town.

Just when Poppies fans thought they had seen it all, they were met with unprecedented scenes ahead of the 7-0 home defeat to Bashley as their club were only able to name 10 players.

Caretaker-manager Alan Doyle confirmed before the game that he was struggling to get 11 players together after he claimed a new transfer embargo was placed on the club on Thursday.

In the end, he was able to field just the 10 with goalkeeper Ben Gathercole being named on the team sheet, although he failed to turn up.

It meant Doyle had to send his team out in a 4-4-1 formation with striker Will Muzvimbiri playing at right-back while Matt Bamber, who featured in the NFA Hillier Cup win over Peterborough Northern Star in midweek, started at centre-half.

The incredible situation comes during another financial crisis for the Poppies.

Again, the players were not paid on Friday, which was due to be their payday while the majority shareholder is still claiming to be trying to offload the club to a mystery consortium.

But with the latest issue being not being able to raise a team, it now looks like a matter of time until the Poppies cease to exist. They are due to play again at Leamington on Tuesday.

Full report and other issues laid bare here

http://www.northantstelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/kettering-town/poppies-crisis-runs-deep-as-just-10-players-turn-up-for-7-0-defeat-1-4342207

Only seems like yesterday when they were having great cup games against Fulham and Leeds and doing well in the Conference.

Rushden and Diamonds have reformed at least as AFC Diamonds and now play senior football again but in Wellingborough! Getting crowds of 400+, Kettering had 34 turn out for a cup game this week. Desperate times for Northamptonshire football presently

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Are Rothwell Town still going? I remember bumping into one of their fans on the way back from a Charlton game a few years back.
  • Options
    Again another sorry tale, they folded at the end of last season
  • Options
    Have always had a soft spot for Rothwell. Been there quite a few times as my mum was evacuated there. As a point if interest they are nick named The Bones because the crypt of the church there is full of bones said to be dated from the civil war.
  • Options
    I see Swindon are under a transfer embargo too
  • Options
    Don't despair/ There is another thread on here about Dartford now doing well. Were ripped off finacially very badly, went bust but a group of supporters reformed them, started at the bottom and are now flying. Good luck
  • Options
    Rothwell Town are not playing this season though there is hope they could be revived next season.

Kettering Town are unlikely to be able to put a team out at Leaminington on Tuesday & the Southern League ciuld expel them.

Former members if the Poppies Trust have got Kettering FC up & running. As Latimer says, desperate times up here.
  • Options
    i just about remember the FA Cup 2-1 victory in Jan 1989 @ selhurst against kettering did they go 1 up ?
  • Options

i just about remember the FA Cup 2-1 victory in Jan 1989 @ selhurst against kettering did they go 1 up ?

Yes, Ernie Moss scored. Always remember thecrowd that was announced. Kettering brought 8000 and we announced the gate as 16001!
  • Options
    Clem/Oohaah - Your minds are playing a little trick on you guys. We were 2-0 up at half-time thanks to goals from Paul Williams & Rob Lee. Cooke pulled one back just after the break & Ernie Moss had a shot saved by Bob Bolder
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The latest news is that the Poppies are unable to raise a team tonight, they can only muster 6 players so the game is off. The electricity was also cut off at Nene Park last night. Hard to see how they can survive now.
  • Options
    I can recall watching them in the early 80s whenever they played Maidstone, and they were always a good team to watch.
    What really gets me going is that some player get paid well over 100,000 when a club like Kettering would be kept afloat for a couple of years for that kind of serious cash. How can anyone in football justify that?
  • Options
    living so close to nene park and talking to diamonds and Kettering fans and how upset they are,brings back memories of dark days for us.
  • Options
    On the day one solitary player is sold for 85m, Kettering were officially wound up today in the high court over a 58k debt.
  • Options
    cafckev said:

I can recall watching them in the early 80s whenever they played Maidstone, and they were always a good team to watch.
    What really gets me going is that some player get paid well over 100,000 when a club like Kettering would be kept afloat for a couple of years for that kind of serious cash. How can anyone in football justify that?

I sympathise with your sentiments .. but metaphorically, it's like comparing Walmart or Tesco with a little corner shop
  • Options

On the day one solitary player is sold for 85m, Kettering were officially wound up today in the high court over a 58k debt.

Saw that on twitter

More poignant is that Bale earns £58k in less than 2 days

• Options
    Kettering Town - Didn't they announce Paul Gascoigne as manager at one point (early 2000's)?
  • Options
    Kettering were a very strong team in the fifth tier in the 1970s and 80s, often nudging for promotion to the League. We played them in the Fourth Round of the FA Cup at Sell-Out Park in 1989 (2-1; Lee R, Williams), when their fans filled the Holmesdale Road end. It's sad to see their demise.
  • Options

Kettering were a very strong team in the fifth tier in the 1970s and 80s, often nudging for promotion to the League. We played them in the Fourth Round of the FA Cup at Sell-Out Park in 1989 (2-1; Lee R, Williams), when their fans filled the Holmesdale Road end. It's sad to see their demise.

Classic crowd announced that day. The press were banging on and on about the 8,000 fans Kettering were bringing....we announced the crowd as 16,001.

• Options
    BDLBDL
    edited September 2013

Sad to see this last night, similar to Kettering the Vics have had to leave their home. I think this photo is taken where we stood behind the goal.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Classic crowd announced that day. The press were banging on and on about the 8,000 fans Kettering were bringing....we announced the crowd as 16,001.

I remember that distinctly, Clem, and thinking I was the one.

• Options
    There was the high

http://www.northantstelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/kettering-town/jeune-completes-poppies-takeover-as-ladak-departs-1-5222161

But the article mentions a particular hurdle which means that this weekend could be the final league game at home

http://www.ketteringtownfc.co.uk/story.php?story_id=1365

Hopefully Jeune and Ladak will sort it out.
  • Options
    edited September 2013

The most coaches I've ever seen at a Charlton game. I think I remember counting 55 Kettering coaches, walking back to the car afterwards.
  • Options

The most coaches I've ever seen at a Charlton game. I think I remember counting 55 Kettering coaches, walking back to the car afterwards.
    Yes, I remember the coaches too; the Kettering fans were in party mood and all decked out in red, virtually filling the Holmesdale Road end. It was the fourth round of the FA Cup, and they had probably begun their journey in the fourth qualifying round. I can still see Garth Crooks back-heeling a pass in the box for Robert Lee to score.

• Options
    BDL said:

Sad to see this last night, similar to Kettering the Vics have had to leave their home. I think this photo is taken where we stood behind the goal.

Looking @ Wikipedia Northwich didnt receive the money they should have got for their FA Cup run (£180,000) when they beat us for a further year for some reason.

Shame as even though it did help them out eventually it probably was cash needed much much sooner!!