Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Magical Mystery Tour

edited October 2012 in Not Sports Related
I've just watched this for the first time in years. While it remains mostly a piece of pretentious bilge, I was surprised when everyone on the coach starts singing the Red Red Robin as I hadn't realised it was in it. Is this the first example of the rumoured Macca support?.

Comments

• Options
    Crap film but great music
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited October 2012
    Great to see Ivor Cutler in that

"Good Morning, how are you?, shut up"
  • Options
    And Viv Stanshall...
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited October 2012
    First time I've watched it (not all of it admittedly), bloody pretentious.
  • Options
    My older son (Tom, 25) caught a bit of it and said "I see where the Mighty Booch got their ideas from". As I have not really seen much of the Mighty Booch, does anyone agree with that assessment?

Not sure Boxing Day, after Val Doonican and before Petula Clark was the right scheduling for it's first showing.
  • Options
    I went to see it on the 'big screen' at Greenwich Picture House last Thursday. I think me and my friends were the only ones singing along (loudly) with the Red, Red, Robin.

It may seem pretentious now but at the time I believe it was totally different and of its time. Happy to be shot down by film buffs who will give hundreds of examples and a timeline of how each scene evolved from a French/Polish school of film making.
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

My older son (Tom, 25) caught a bit of it and said "I see where the Mighty Booch got their ideas from". As I have not really seen much of the Mighty Booch, does anyone agree with that assessment?Not sure Boxing Day, after Val Doonican and before Petula Clark was the right scheduling for it's first showing.

yeah, which imo is also crap. difference between the two programmes is that the magical mystery tour had decent music.
  • Options
    Off topic .. today would have been John Lennon's 71st birthday
  • Options
    72 actually, Lincs.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

72 actually, Lincs. Born 1940.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
  • Options
    Only wanted to add to my post .....and now their are 4 of them.
    Oh well, better day tomorrow.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

72 actually, Lincs. Born 1940.

thanks Oggy
  • Options
    Saw it first time around and couldn't make head or tail of it then got introduced to certain chemical enhancements that really explained to me where it all came from. That said it was codswallop with great songs! which I suppose is better than codswallop without any great songs.
  • Options

Saga Lout said:

My older son (Tom, 25) caught a bit of it and said "I see where the Mighty Booch got their ideas from". As I have not really seen much of the Mighty Booch, does anyone agree with that assessment?Not sure Boxing Day, after Val Doonican and before Petula Clark was the right scheduling for it's first showing.

yeah, which imo is also crap. difference between the two programmes is that the magical mystery tour had decent music.
    Beg to differ. The boosh do some cracking tunes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSKuMYJCrIg&feature=related
  • Options
    It is well known that McCartney is a closet Charlton fan.
  • Options
    Having not seen it for 30 years, and 'knowing' it was rubbish, I wasn't expecting much, but you can see what they were trying to do. If they had managed to get someone in to work with them on the sketches and dialogue, it could have worked, as the musical numbers are fine...

Unfortunately they never overlapped, but imagine the Pythons and Beatles together, and what a film that would have been! I guess The Rutles is the nearest we'll get to that I guess...

• Options
    As a idea I think it failed, but a brave failure never the less.
    The music as others have already stated was it's saving grace.
    I feel that they were just bored with being presented as pop star variety fodder, that churned out pop tunes.
    Probably there best days were behind them as a group, but the tragic shooting of Lennon outside the Dakota put pay to any future collaboration. And popular music was the poorer for it. I felt that they needed to develop there own projects, which they did, amid a distinct bitter rivalry beetween Lennon and McCartney.
    Trying to be an art house movie, it has some good ideas, but a few rewrites, and a lack of a director with a vision for the small screen was at heart it's failure.As the subsequent programme about it explained the American's just did not understand the concept of a 'mystery tour' and it's random storyline/s. Interesting that Frank Zappa's 200 motels was also met with similar distain. Interesting that Martin Scorsese cities it as an influence
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    It was largely McCartney's idea to fill the void left by not touring. Brian Epstein's influence was gone, and realistically who would say no to the Beatles. I don't think there was a huge rift between McCartney and Lennon at this stage, as John was still in his pre-Yoko couldn't be bothered stoned period. So Paul was having to take the lead and was the one coming up with band projects.

If there had been a "proper" director it may have had a structure and plot line, (and been less disappointing), but that wasn't the point. It was supposed to be avant-garde and experimental. It may have been influential to other directors like Scorsese, but it was amateurish (because the Beatles were amateur film makers), and went in the wrong direction (as the bus did when it got stuck on a narrow bridge in Wales).

At least it proved that the Beatles weren't infallible, and removed the expectation of more mop-top tomfoolery from the public.

I thank you, and hope that I have passed the audition. Could the people in the posh seats please rattle their jewellery in appreciation.
  • Options
    The mistake The Beatles (and especially Paul) made was thinking their instinctive ability to conjure up great music out of nothing applied to other fields as well. It's understandable though, and unless you stretch yourself you won't find your limits. In retrospect maybe they should have just stuck to producing a series of improvised avant garde films accompanied by music, as at that way, you have the music even if the visuals don't work.

Even something like the relatively conventional Fool on the Hill sequence proved a nightmare, as Paul didn't mime accurately enough!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    pilchard said:

Source?

• Options
    DA9 said:

pilchard said:

Source?

Probably lysergic
  • Options

DA9 said:

pilchard said:

Source?

Probably lysergic
    Is that what they call an acid remark?......
    or is stars that play with Laughing Sams Dice......?