Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A question that divided opinion in the pub last night

This is not from personal experience as i have never done it but a question was asked last night that really seemed to divide opinion

If you work nights and get in from work at, say 8am and have a beer, or an alcoholic drink of any kind, does it make you an alcoholic??

Thoughts?

For the record I think the answer is no

Comments

• Options
    Dnot nurdesatnd the qeutsoin
  • Options
    No it don't, walk around Smithfield Meat Market at 7-8am they're all in the boozers. We use to go for a curry at 8 o'clock in the cafe round there when I was on nights. Strange getting the train home at 9am, pissed up while all the suits are going to work! Lol
  • Options
    I'd say no and i'm sure some of the markets up town have pubs open in the morning for the night workers.
  • Options
    Not at all.
  • Options
    addiction makes you an alcoholic
  • Options
    Very strange that question would divide opinion, of course it doesn't.
  • Options
    Being an alcoholic is not about what time of day you drink. Its about how much and how often you drink.
  • Options
    The definition of an alcoholic is someone who drinks more than their doctor.
  • Options
    DRF said:

Being an alcoholic is not about what time of day you drink. Its about how much and how often you drink.

This.

If you get in at 8am and you HAVE to have a drink, even if it's just one, then this could be an addiction.

• Options
    The Elephant and Castle in Woolwich is open from about 6 every morning for all the market traders though you do get a load of the alkis in there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wetherspoons....always see the same old faces in there...I probably pop into our local one once or twice, every couple weeks but can more or less guarentee who will be in there.
  • Options
    Dylan Thomas' definition of an alcoholic;
    'Somebody you don't like who drinks as much as you do.'
  • Options
    We use to get on it at 7am in The Horse on marrathon days!
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    ......but then again, I most probably was an alcoholic at the time.
  • Options
    U get kinda used to nights ur morning is the same as day workers evening so you end up doing stuff in the morning instead ,i worked with a few who would go out to their car at lunch 2 am and guzzle a couple of cans every night that to me is alcoholic? Not a couple in morning after you finish?
  • Options

U get kinda used to nights ur morning is the same as day workers evening so you end up doing stuff in the morning instead ,i worked with a few who would go out to their car at lunch 2 am and guzzle a couple of cans every night that to me is alcoholic? Not a couple in morning after you finish?

So that would be like office workers going out at lunchtime and sinking 3 pints? I would find it strange tho.

If i regularly did nights i dont see why at 8am on a Friday morning you cant all go to the pub together. Nowt wrong in that, tho Im sure it would feel very weird.
  • Options
    Not sure but personally I would find it an odd thing to do but it doesn't make you an alcoholic by definition that is a person who cannot do without a drink!

Pint anyone?
  • Options
    Make mine a half as its before midday.
  • Options
    On my journey to work I frequently see people on their way to work supping cans. They ain't shift workers! If your breakfast is a can of cider you're an alcoholic even if you (currently) hold down a job.

I don't think shift workers having a pint after work is the same thing but it could easily become a problem if it's after every shift though.

We have a huge problem with alcohol in this country and it's only getting worse.
  • Options

We have a huge problem with alcohol in this country and it's only getting worse.

Yeah, it's too faaaakin expensive!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    used to do this regularly when i worked nights. nothing wrong with it.
  • Options
    Have done it when I worked nights on the tube, cracked open a cold one at 5-6 a.m. when home, nothing wrong with it.
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Remember it well, big Pete laid on the breakfast and my mate Gary King doing his Elvis.
  • Options
    No.
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Yeah, it's too faaaakin expensive!
    Lol. I'll 2nd that
  • Options
    Most certainly not in my opinion.

If you worked a night shift and got up at 8pm to get ready and go to your work and had a drink then I would consider that more of a problem!!!

I think a lot of the time it's about how long you have been awake for me.
  • Options
    DA9 said:

BIG_ROB said:

Remember it well, big Pete laid on the breakfast and my mate Gary King doing his Elvis.
    Memories eh? I wonder if the nigels from the church that now owns the place will lay on an Elvis for the runners?

Every band Pete laid on always kicked off with the customary Keep On Running. Legendary times indeed!
  • Options
    Alcohol sales are actually on the decline in this country, the price being a factor and slight cultural changes amongst young people apparantly.

It's difficult to define an alcoholic as opposed to a heavy drinker or pisshead. A beer or 2 after work doesn't make you an alcoholic. 7 pints after work, every day would be dangerous and unhealthy, but if you can survive all day without a drink you're probably not an alcoholic.
  • Options
    No not at all