Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Michael Owen and going over to win pens.

He has launched today the right to fall over in the penalty area if the player feels he has been fouled even if they could stay on their feet. I'm not sure if this is in the spirit of the game but can understand why it happens. Any views?

Comments

• Options
    You can understand that view if referees only give penalties when a player goes over.
  • Options
    If you are fouled and you dont think you will score from the situation, then of course you go down. Its tw*ts like Bale, Young and Suarez who fall over before contact that get me, I think a one match retrospective ban for diving would soon put a stop to it
  • Options
    The problem is that it's a contact sport. The attacking player doesn't have the right to decide if the contact was legal or not. Now it's understandable if you think you've been fouled and the ref isn't going to give it unless you go down. But the solution is not for attackers to decide to go down if they think they've been fouled, the solution is to improve officiating.
  • Options
    It also doesn't help that referees seem to have forgotten, or simply ignore that obstruction is an indirect free kick. A large percentage of penalties should be indirect free kicks.
  • Options
    If I felt contact, and the chance to score was slipping away, id just crumble, give up, rather than dive, then see what the ref made of that.
  • Options
    Very different from diving, don't see anything wrong with it.
  • Options
    Perhaps the question should be, why does someone have to fall over to get a penalty? If someone is fouled it is still a foul whether they hit the deck or not, but you never see penalties given unless they go over. There is a culture within the game that refs don't look for the crime (the foul) they look for the consequences of the crime (the fall). Until that is addressed, there will always be divers.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

If you are fouled and you dont think you will score from the situation, then of course you go down. Its tw*ts like Bale, Young and Suarez who fall over before contact that get me, I think a one match retrospective ban for diving would soon put a stop to it

Sorry but that is balls. There is no difference between Owen or Suarez (in terms of diving). If people don't like cheating/diving to win pens or free kicks then stick with it. It can't be based on who the player is.
  • Options

It also doesn't help that referees seem to have forgotten, or simply ignore that obstruction is an indirect free kick. A large percentage of penalties should be indirect free kicks.

dont agree with that
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

sam3110 said:

Sorry but that is balls. There is no difference between Owen or Suarez (in terms of diving). If people don't like cheating/diving to win pens or free kicks then stick with it. It can't be based on who the player is.
    But Owen goes down after actually being fouled as he says defenders get aeay with the foul if you dont. Suarez dies a horrible and painful death everytime, throwing hands and head back as he falls, contact or not.

Take Ashley Young last season, he trailled his leg deliberately to get the contact as he dives, he is looking to artificially create the contact, whereas Owen is saying you feel the contact and then go down.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sam3110 said:

colthe3rd said:

sam3110 said:

But Owen goes down after actually being fouled as he says defenders get aeay with the foul if you dont. Suarez dies a horrible and painful death everytime, throwing hands and head back as he falls, contact or not.

Take Ashley Young last season, he trailled his leg deliberately to get the contact as he dives, he is looking to artificially create the contact, whereas Owen is saying you feel the contact and then go down.
    Agree. I remember against watford when bwp was put through he got pulled back, was off balance but stayed on his feet and the keeper saved his shot.

IMO he should have gone down
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

colthe3rd said:

sam3110 said:

But what you are talking about is a player should throw himself onto the ground if there is any sort of contact. Surely, its only a foul if the contact that is made is enough to bring the attacker down? Otherwise is that still not simulation?
  • Options
    Unfortunately there is little incentive for the player to stay on his feet because unless he goes down he won't get a free kick and if he struggles on a gets a shot away it will not be called back for advantage, even if the shot is made much more difficult because the player is off balance or had to pause allowing the keeper/another defender to close him down.

There needs to be a carrot and stick approach to this - more bookings and retrospective punishments for cheating and a revised application of the advantage law to incentivise players to try and play on knowing play will likely be pulled back if a genuine advantage doesn't materialise.

As it is if advantage is played it is deemed over within a couple of touches after the foul. I'd like to see the period advantage applies for to last much longer.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

sam3110 said:

colthe3rd said:

sam3110 said:

But what you are talking about is a player should throw himself onto the ground if there is any sort of contact. Surely, its only a foul if the contact that is made is enough to bring the attacker down? Otherwise is that still not simulation?
    Owen says most fouls aren't so strong that they literally knock you off your feet. In our modern game nowadays that would be classed as a straight red anyway. If it's enough to knock you off your stride and stop you getting a shot on goal, then why would you stay on your feet? I wouldn't say it's simulating a foul, to me I think it's more letting know the officials you have been fouled. The speed of the game and the denial of everything that has crept into the game (look at how every player claims it's their throw, goal kick or corner, no-one ever owns up and says yes I touched it do they?) means officials rarely see everything. To me empthasising a foul and simulating a foul are two different things. I agree there is a very hazy line between the two,. but unfortunately it's as much a part of modern football as anything else.
  • Options
    There are a lot of grey areas here. A defender might deliberately 'clip' your leg/foot which by itself might not be enough to knock you down but will be enough to knock you off balance and deny you a goalscoring chance.

Go and Google Besart Berisha Grand Final and you will see a classic case of this, the player is about to shoot and has drawn his leg back for a full power shot and is fully off the ground, the defender (ex-Celtic player Liam Miller) then very lightly 'clips' Berisha's raised shooting foot.

It was not a violent challenge BUT the contact made clearly knocks Berisha off balance and the referee award a penalty - and rightly so.

I once played a practice game against an ex-Charlton defender and some of the stuff he did to knock you off balance and prevent you from getting a clear shot on goal off was incredible (he was a mate, it was a muck around game), it really opened my eyes to the 'cat and mouse' anticsthat go on between centre-halves and strikers at the top-level.

By the end of the practice game I realised that I was really a million miles off being good enough to make it as a Pro!
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

colthe3rd said:

sam3110 said:

colthe3rd said:

sam3110 said:

Owen says most fouls aren't so strong that they literally knock you off your feet. In our modern game nowadays that would be classed as a straight red anyway. If it's enough to knock you off your stride and stop you getting a shot on goal, then why would you stay on your feet? I wouldn't say it's simulating a foul, to me I think it's more letting know the officials you have been fouled. The speed of the game and the denial of everything that has crept into the game (look at how every player claims it's their throw, goal kick or corner, no-one ever owns up and says yes I touched it do they?) means officials rarely see everything. To me empthasising a foul and simulating a foul are two different things. I agree there is a very hazy line between the two,. but unfortunately it's as much a part of modern football as anything else.
    But there is contact in football all the time, for me it's diving. No difference to going down with no contact or leaving a trailing leg.

For the record diving doesn't bother me that much. I've said here before I think more of us should take a more continental view on the matter and see it as parrt of the game. But what I disagree with is criticising one player for diving then saying its justifiable if another does it.
  • Options
    Its just alien to me that anyone could ever dive to the floor, fouled or not, deserved or not.
    My natural instinct always makes me resist going down.
    I think this will just give players more reason to go down for the slightest knock.