Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Not the End or the beginning of the end but perhaps the end of the beginning

Comments

• Options
    Great words my Churchill. He had an amazing skill for picking the right words at the right time. Here in Bangkok I recently listened to a presntation by the British Legion Thailand branch and they were discussing this campaign and how often it gets forgotten amongst some of the other aspects of the war. All those who fought there deserve our eternal admiration.
  • Options

Great words my Churchill. He had an amazing skill for picking the right words at the right time. Here in Bangkok I recently listened to a presntation by the British Legion Thailand branch and they were discussing this campaign and how often it gets forgotten amongst some of the other aspects of the war. All those who fought there deserve our eternal admiration.

Agree with this.
  • Options
    El Alamein and Monty was not part of the American WW2 victory and I think has been ignored by Hollywood and the public psyche as a consequence. Apart from a couple of black and white British movies this significant turning point in the war has been shamefully sidelined.
  • Options
    God bless them all. My father-in-laws dad went through the desert and then up through Italy. A quiet and modest man, who was affected for the rest of his life by his experiences in what is a significantly forgotten part of the greater conflict.
  • Options

El Alamein and Monty was not part of the American WW2 victory and I think has been ignored by Hollywood and the public psyche as a consequence. Apart from a couple of black and white British movies this significant turning point in the war has been shamefully sidelined.

That's mainly because Eisenhower wanted to attack the Germans head on - not the 'soft underbelly' option of Churchill.

Although a wonderful victory in relation to what had been happening since the Battle of Britain, we captured less Germans than they captured Brits at Tobruck earlier in the year. Monty didn't push on and drive the Germans back to Libya as he should of and most of the Afrika Corps got away.

• Options
    This didn't happen. Everyone knows that WW2 only started when the Yanks got bombed at Pearl Harbour. I've seen it on lots of films.