Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Leeds Utd v Charlton| 23 October 2012| Preview, News, Views & Line Ups

edited October 2012 in General Charlton
The introduction

There is no doubt that there will be a different perspective on this game for the national media than for most Charlton fans.

The press will be closely scrutinising the behaviour of the home fans following the assault (for which the assailant has now been jailed for 4 months) at the Sheffield Wednesday v Leeds game last Friday.

That some Leeds fans thought running on the pitch from the away end at Hillsborough was OK still beggars belief especially when you remember why the Leppings Lane end no longer has any fences.

Some of the Leeds chants also drew criticism and we don't mean "Champions of Europe". No one has ever made unsubstantiated claims against our manager as is the case with Dave Jones but that has never stopped certain fans in the past. Regardless of the result the news story will be what the Leeds fans do and say. Get used to it Charlton fans, to the red tops, broadsheets and the TV/radio we are just there to make up the numbers.

But from our perspective this is another important game. Our away form has stood up well despite going two months without a home win. Wins at Ipswich and Blackpool both proved false dawns however.

The Opposition

Leeds' season has not gone quite to plan. Expected to be challenging and with a manager in Neil Warnock who knows how to get team up from this tier the Whites were expected, by their own fans and many pundits, to be sitting higher than 9th.

A middle -eastern takeover that would have finally seen the departure of the unloved Ken Bates appears to have stalled. Meanwhile some key players were sold in the summer.

They have been strong at home losing one and drawing one of their five games at Elland Rd but often these games have come by narrow margins. The Peacocks needed a disputed penalty to beat Barnsley last time out at home.

Becchio is their main goal threat with 9 strikes already. They also have former Addick Luke Varney and former trialist Ryan Hall although both are likely to start on the bench. Expect the usual big, bruising but well organised Colin side.

The line up.

The lack of substantial injuries was a major factor in last season's success. Only Dale Stephens was missing for a long period. Already this term we have lost Wiggins, Kermorgant and Taylor and Ricardo Fuller joins that list. The big striker will be out for "several weeks" which cynics will read as "months and months". Things are so bad in the striking dept. that a suggestion to Chris Powell that Leon Clarke might be recalled wasn't dismissed out of hand.

With the players he has left Chris also has to re-find the balance that has brought that precious pair of away wins.

CP was quick to switch to 4 - 4- 2 for the second half v Barnsley but with a negative consequence so 4-5-1, which worked so well v Blackpool would seem to be the order of the day.

Ex- Leeds forward Rob Hulse seems the obvious choice of lone striker if we are to stick to 4 - 5 - 1 although he is quite a different player to Fuller. The little and large combination of Hulse and BWP is still an option.

Abdul Razak's role of man marking Barnsley's playmaker Perkins succeeded in neutralising the blonde midget in the first half but also took the young Man City loanee out of our game. Razak was billed as a defensive midfielder when he came so CP may risk playing him deeper but that means moving Hollands and/or Stephens. Jackson could also play in the middle or wide to replace Kerker. Or the French-Algerian could be moved into the attacking midfield role that we at Preview Towers believe better suits him.

On the right Chris might stick with Danny Green despite his stinker on Saturday or push the more impressive Wilson forward. But to do that Evina would have to return to allow Solly to shift across. For whatever reason Powell doesn't appear to like this option but Wilson in the middle would give us more steel.

The prediction

Endless headlines about Leeds fans and chants that will ignore the small band of travelling Addicks happy enough with a 0 - 0 draw.

Hamer
Solly Cort Morrison Evina
Wilson Stephens Razak Jackson
Kerker
Hulse

Comments

• Options
    Hulse will score against them
  • Options
    Hamer
    Solly Cort Morrison Evina
    Wilson Stephens Razak Jackson
    Wright Phillips
    Hulse
  • Options
    I was so pleased with the Fuller signing. How quickly pleasure turns to pain.

Warnock is an expert at galvanising teams, imparting a backs to the wall attitude: no one likes us .. do we give a hoot !!?? (that 's really for the Owls)

As I predicted for the Blackpool game, I can't see ANYthing but a home win and a good few bruises for our players: I'll be there, fog permitting.

Leeds United 2 v CAFC 0. Time for changes: Hamer Solly Morrison Cort Dervite .. Wilson Stephens Pritchard Razak .. Wright-Phillips Hulse. There is no point going for a draw, attack attack attack attack attack .. but I fear not.
  • Options
    3-0 loss.
  • Options
    Looking forward to this not expecting anything though, they've scored in every game this season and I cant see us getting goals without fuller. On the 2pm train up there and sTaying for the night, I'll try and stick up a post match review #coyr
  • Options
    I am worried for the next 2 games.

that said, we'll probably go and get 4 points now
  • Options
    1-4
  • Options
    no chances , no goals, no clean sheets, no creativity, no away fans , no points

2-0 to the millwall of the north
  • Options
    Were an away team and got a feeling we will pick up at least a point. Then again, no fuller changes everything. Hope hulse can come in and do a job and maybe we will see a similar result to the blackpool game.

I'll go with 0-0 though
  • Options
    Leeds have a terrible midweek record, plucked this from their forum, not sure how far back it goes.
    D-L-L-L-L-L-L-D-L-L-W-L-W-L-L-D-W-D-L-L-D-L-W-D-D-L-D-D-L-D-L-L-L-D

However they are playing Charlton so 1-0 victory to Leeds.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    2-0 loss I fear.
  • Options
    looks like they're due a midweek win then !
  • Options
    As long as Hamer wears a head guard....
  • Options
    It's such an unpredictable league, that the only thing I can say with certainty is

No Charlton fan will run on the pitch to attack the Leeds Goalkeeper.

An away game, where the world's eyes will be on the home team (and supporters) is setup for the classic gritty Charlton away performance. Please.
  • Options
    Will be listening to this on Player, I'm afraid.

Last time I deserted the boys away from home we won 2-0 so why should this one be any different ?

A gutsy, storming performance is what the travelling fans deserve and I think we'll come up trumps.

COYA !!!!!!
  • Options
    Strangely I think we may nick a draw despiet the awful gam eon Saturday why? It appears we play much better away from home but it's a tough one
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Norfolk Enchance of a result 3-0 loss
  • Options
    3-1 charlton we are playing well away from home
  • Options
    4-0 to Leeds
  • Options
    The way are season is going im semi-confident we are gonna get a 2 1 win, BWP & Green with the goals.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Watching leeds on friday made me think we got a chance. watching us on saturday makes me think not much of a chance. 1-1.
  • Options
    five nil to dirty Leeds
  • Options
    1-1 seems about right.
  • Options
    gritty 1-1 draw. Charlton equalise late on. Hulse with the goal.
  • Options
    3 1 leeds
  • Options
    Blackpool away was a pleasant surprise but our midfield was woeful on Saturday and I'm afraid I cannot see beyond a comfortable win for Leeds.

I'll take a point now.
  • Options
    How many we sold, am making the trip by train at 2 tomorrow!!
  • Options
    i'm feeling more confident today 4-0 leeds
  • Options

How many we sold, am making the trip by train at 2 tomorrow!!

350 sold as of this morning.
  • Options
    We will lose 3-0