Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Favourite all time song?

Comments

• Options
    Happy Birthday Big Rob.........blah blah..........

Then all me presents!
  • Options
    seth plum said:

To develop this idea a bit I want to return to the original question...'best song'. I suppose that means the song can do something whatever the version, by whoever the artist.
    Are people really saying here their favourite version of their favourite song, or are we talking about a song that cuts through whatever the treatment of it?

I hadn't really considered it but it so happens that two of my picks illustrate the point.

1. Thunder Road - as well as the more "rocky" version I had in mind, I have heard Springsteen play a very cut back and slower acoustic version which is stunning.

2. Fields of Gold - Eva Cassidy's haunting vocals make it a very wistful ballad, whereas the original by Sting is faster, more melancholy than hopeful - but both are superb.

I have also seen Springsteen play a superb version of Pretty Flamingo, and I really like the original by Manfred Mann. So I think, in many cases, it's the song that transcends style and delivery.
  • Options
    Walk Like an Egyptian .. The Bangles
  • Options
    1) Chris farlowe - Out of Time
    2) Lonnie Donegan - Always from the Heart
    3) Mark Knopfler - Silvertown Blues
  • Options
    How can you have a favourite song? I remember my 5 year old neighbour asking me this when I was about 12 and evn then I told him that it was impossible to say. I was thinking recently if I'd be able to list my favourite 100 albums. Those of you that name one song are just doing it for show IMO.
  • Options
    I understand exactly what you are saying JM, and for most of my life I have agreed with you, in fact my 99 second favourite songs are interchangeable, and new ones come in and out all the time. But about a year ago, having had this debate for forty odd years, I realised that the one song that always, always makes me happy and gets my feet tapping is The Ace of Spades. I think if I now pretended that I could not name one song, then I would be " doing it for show ", but I ain't, honest guv... That's not to say that I might hear a song for the first time tomorrow, and all that I just wrote will go out of the window...
  • Options
    Don't forget the joker !
  • Options
    Snake eyes watching you...
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Bump

Mardy Bum - Arctic Monkeys.

What's everyone's favourite song 10 months on?
  • Options
    Bastille - Pompeii
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1. Wichita Lineman - Jimmy Webb
    2. Winter Wine - Caravan
    3. Sunshine of Your Love - Cream
    4. Riders on the Storm - The Doors. I listened to this the other night during a thunderstorm.
  • Options
    1. Street Spirit (Fade Out) - Radiohead
    2. Bullet with Butterfly Wings - Smashing Pumpkins
    3. A Certain Romance - Arctic Monkeys
  • Options
    Happy Birthday To Me
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Happy Birthday To Me

@BIG_ROB either that's a hint or you've got simplistic taste in tunes mate.
  • Options
    Pmsl
  • Options
    live forever - oasis
    youre not alone - the enemy
    lucky man - the verve
  • Options
    like AddickupNorth would change hourly, currently

Sweet carolina - Ryan Adams
    One Day Like This - Elbow
    its Getting Better - Mamas and Papas
  • Options
    Depeche Mode - Enjoy the Silence
    Deftones - (Be Quiet and Drive) Far Away
    Jeff Buckley - Last Goodbye
  • Options
    Teenage riot - Sonic Youth.
    I want your Love - Chic.
    Sing it Back - Moloko.
  • Options
    By the way you can have a great night in isslington 02acadmy club in London.

When I went the enemy played a live gig only £6.50 to get in and cheap drinks.

Every Friday they do a rock/indie all night DJ set. Cheap drinks £6.50 to get in.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1. Dead Confederate - The Rat
    2. This Mortal Coil - Kangaroo
    3. Tonstartssbandht - Black Country
  • Options
    Oasis- Slide Away
    The Enemy- Its Not Ok
    The Courteeners- Not Nineteen Forever
  • Options
    Assuming that American Pie is accepted as the greatest song ever written, my personal favourite, the only song I can hand-on-heart say that I will always love the most...

REM - World Leader Pretend (Live at Mountain Stage)

• Options
    Rock the Casbah - Thw Clash
  • Options
    Waterloo Sunset by The Kinks was meant to be "officially" the best song of all time weren't it?
  • Options
    I actually preferred a cover of Waterloo Sunset... might have been Ray Davies and Damon Albarn...it was on The White Room I think.
  • Options
    This land is your land - Woody Guthrie
    Who knows where the time goes? - Sandy Denny/Fairport Convention
    Strange Fruit - Billie Holiday
  • Options
    You have to be there - Helen Sjoholm...yep, I'm a bit weird.
  • Options
    Buffalo Springfield - For What Its Worth