Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why Did Rufus Never Hit Big Time?

edited October 2012 in General Charlton
Sure you could argue he did with us, but I was wondering, if Rufus was as good as we all believe he was, why did nobody come in with a big money offer?

We weren't exactly in need of the cash, but was there a specific reason why the big guns didn't come in for him? I know he was linked to Liverpool before we sold Lee Bowyer but did they make an offer?

Dean Richards, rest his soul, went for a ridiculous amount when Ruf was at his peak...

Comments

• Options
    He did hit the big time , he played for Charlton.
  • Options
    Always a mystery to me, as was that he didn't get into the England squad. A fantastic player with outstanding pace. I guess his distribution and goal return may have been weaker than his pure defensive play but he was a colossus at the back.
  • Options
    Cos Rufus is a dogs name
  • Options
    Distribution
  • Options
    At his peak he was the best man marker in the country. His loyalty to Charlton held him back as the England managers at the time didn't have the nous to look beyond who he played for. When Powell got picked for England, I think most Charlton fans expected it to be Richard. Not saying Sir Chris didn't deserve his call up - he did and in the few games he had, he let nobody down. But, Rufus must be up there as one of the best centre backs never to play for England - the sad thing is that only Charlton fans will ever be aware of this fact.

Rufus is my favourite ever Charlton player - simply because I think he was the best in his position.
  • Options
    Injury. Simples.
  • Options
    Injuries at the wrong times.

• Options
    He was injury-free enough to play 288 times so I was kinda hoping for more than 'simples'! I didn't realise he was injury prone, at least until 2001 when the knee stuff started. Prior to that, it seems odd nobody flirted with him.
  • Options
    I think I am right in saying that Richard played for England U21's, and as captain no less.
    There were other players picked for the senior squad who were not as good as Richard, none as mobile for sure, that he wasn't picked or transferred says everything about the managers of other clubs and countries, but is not because Richard wasn't special, they were simply blind to his qualities.
    Our immense gain.
    As a club we have had a lot of great players, but Richard Rufus is amongst the very elite of those.
  • Options
    When he captained the U21's his defensive partner was Sol Campbell, so he was highly rated by those in the England setup. As said above injuries at the wrong time are what hampered him. Just as he was making a name for himself in the Prem he got a bad one. Then when he got himself back playing he suffered another one the next season. England had already established Campbell and Ferdinand as their main centre backs by then. Rufus never really got over the second injury.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    a small factor may have been Rufus was playing in a period of change within English Football. We had a new era of 'footballing' centre halves that were creeping into the top sides (Lebouf at Chelsea for example) so perhaps a big lanky centre half from plucky charlton wasnt a fashionable purchase?
  • Options
    Simple. (Sorry). Whilst quite simply one of the best defenders I have ever seen in a CAFC shirt - his pace was incredible, brave as a lion, a superb header of the ball - I believe the big clubs never took a gamble on him because his distribution of the ball was frankly not that great.

RR wasn't a ball carrying defender - he just got it out of trouble. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but it just meant that he often hoofed the ball out. To anyone watching, it might have put them off and they might have considered that such a style wasn't fitted to the Premier League.

That's the only possible reason I can think of as to me RR will always be a legend and a man who stood at the heart of those few never to be forgotten years when we could actually see CAFC not only playing the big boys, but beating them.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Distribution

If there were a single reason then this would be it, imho.

Yes, injuries at the wrong times and "the Charlton factor" probably didn't help but in my mind - and trying to be objective - the real top defenders are more comfortable on the ball and have better distribution than our Richard did, and they need to be because they probably see a lot more of it in possession than our guys did at the time.

As an out and out defender I would still rather have him over most of his peers of the era and am absolutely honoured that I witnessed such a great player playing for us.

Lovely fella too, by all accounts.
  • Options
    Rufus is and always will be a club legend, met him for the first time at the Hartlepool game and he was a lovely fellow as well
  • Options
    It is true that he wasn't a footballer in the sense he could spray the ball around but he did his job and if there was a lack of football ability, it was never exposed. Would have been a terrific man marker for England - possibly the best we have had. Nobody had the wit or wisdom to identify it though. Too late now though.
  • Options
    i don't recall him ever being subject to much transfer speculation either
  • Options
    Oakster said:

i don't recall him ever being subject to much transfer speculation either

Was always being linked with Arsenal , but they never came in for him apparently.

• Options
    I do recall there being speculation from Newcastle but clearly nothing came of it.

I'll never forget 'that' game on Sky Sports where he made a surprise return from injury to start against Spurs. A certain unlikely left-back grabbed the winning goal that night!
  • Options
    he was never injury prone until he got his career ending injury ...he was fast and he was getting even better when injured ...he played for an unfashionable club which was why he didnt get the recognition he deserved
  • Options
    Rufus is still my favourite player.

The way Leon Cort plays reminds me a bit of Rufus. Maybe more on the ball.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes, distribution wasn't good enough to be a world class defender. If Rufus had Steve Brown's passing ability and positional sense he'd have been an England regular. Conversely if Steve Brown had Rufus's pace he could have partnered Rufus in the England team!
  • Options
    Rufus was one of the best defenders we had. He was solid, fast, good at tackling and Charlton through and through. Gave some bizarre penalties away (one where he claimed to be pushed into someone even though no one was near him), but he will always be my favourite charlton defender. If he had stayed fit one of the bigger clubs would have come in for him
  • Options
    Legend.....for all those that were at Wembley play off final.
  • Options
    12th Man said:

Legend.....for all those that were at Wembley play off final.

Absolutely. I still remember his header. It felt like it went in in slow motion. Great time to score first goal for Charlton :-)
  • Options
    Was always a great admirer, but when we first went up I thought he got found out. However in the championship season and back in the prem he just grew in stature. Maybe he didn't make a move because he liked it here, or our board and curbs fought to keep him? Also the press and to a lesser extent are a bit funny about who they rate. I don't think Parker is much of a better player than he was with us, but only seemed to get the medi and national team recognition fairly recently.
  • Options
    I think Curbs knew what he had so would have done whatever he could to keep him.
  • Options

Was always a great admirer, but when we first went up I thought he got found out. However in the championship season and back in the prem he just grew in stature. Maybe he didn't make a move because he liked it here, or our board and curbs fought to keep him? Also the press and to a lesser extent are a bit funny about who they rate. I don't think Parker is much of a better player than he was with us, but only seemed to get the medi and national team recognition fairly recently.

This.

Look at players like Cleverley, if he was playing for someone like Stoke he wouldn't be anywhere near the England team but because he's at a fashionable club he's in everytime, the same with someone like Downing.

Funnily enough I saw Parker walking around the Wharf looking lost at lunchtime today.
  • Options
    A great defender and always a very modest and genuine guy. A real hero and a model professional.

I remember an interview in which Richard Murray revealed that his nickname was Scud (as in missile) - you knew he was coming but there was nothing (polite word) you could do about it !!
  • Options
    Q. Who was the best Rufus or Costa?
  • Options
    Rufus.