Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Take the Charlton Fan survey

edited October 2012 in General Charlton
Make your views known, take the Charlton Fan Survey here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/YPN8877 castrust.org

(BR)

Comments

• Options
    Done. Good idea.
  • Options
    Done
  • Options
    Done
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Sorry, excuse my ignorance. but what is the point/driver behind this?

I filled it in, but then it wanted personal (ie email) details, so my instant (cynical) reaction was "fuck that".

Happy for it to be explained to a thicky like me, but nothing on this thread so far appears to outline anything about anything!
  • Options
    done
  • Options
    "Sorry, excuse my ignorance. but what is the point/driver behind this?"

There's nothing to be suspicious about. It is just a way to find out what the general climate of opinion is among Charlton supporters about priorities, who owns the club, what role supporters should play etc etc.

If the survey revealed that the vast majority were very satisfied with everything and saw no point in a supporters trust then the group trying to get the trust off the ground would find better things to do.

Asking for your e mail address is in order to validate each entry. The worst thing that can happen by submitting your e mail address is that you receive e mails with news about the trust over the next couple of months. After it is formally set up (should be December) you can decide whether to join or not. If you don't join you won't be on the mailing list.

• Options
    Done.
  • Options
    doneski!
  • Options
    Same as Off It.
  • Options
    It's a little biased and emotional if you don't mind me saying. Do you care who owns the club? Well kind of. I wouldn't want to government to own it, I wouldn't want a mass murderer to own it, but I don't care if the owners made their money in finance or housing or inherited it and are 10th generation Charlton fans or Man City fans.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Done.
  • Options
    Agreed on DRF's point. It does come across a little reactionary to what's going on behind the scenes at the moment.
  • Options
    I tend to agree, but if the answer is 'it depends', then you do care ... so survey answer would be 'yes'
  • Options
    I've done the survey, but also not sure re the "email address for validation". That is likely to put some people off and thus reduce your responses to the survey. The Trust organisers might need to check things like Data Protection Act as you develop the database for the Trust. I work in areas related to this - market research and direct marketing - so PM or email me if you need some informal advice (seeing as you now have my email address from the survey and because I have signed up for the Trust already).
  • Options
    Stopped at the email bit too, which means you've got a self selecting group of respondents that might be interested in getting follow up correspondence, which may be the intent I guess. As DRF points out the ownership question cannot be properly answered as a yes-no.
  • Options
    As above, would have completed it but email bit put me off, also agree that the questions are very leading based on the current situation
  • Options
    Thanks for all your feedback, we'll definitely take note.

The email field shouldn't be compulsory, it also asks permission to send information, we also road tested it before going to the web, I agree however that it could be improved. We do strive to get things perfect but as you may appreciate we have limited resources. Perhaps if you guys with an eye for detail fancy coming to our next meeting you can help?

Thanks

BR

• Options
    Not just me then!

Still not got over the fact that I posted at 2am, pissed, and made more sense than I usually do!
  • Options
    Did picos explanation not help then?
  • Options
    I also must say i don't agree with all the points raised. Not sure how you could rephrase the do you care who owns the club question. Saying it is emotional seems a bit of an exaggeration to me, and anyway it is a fan survey. Also it provides opportunity to give the set up of the club 5 out of 5, so I also can't see where it is biased.

What it could do with is more explanatory stuff about what its purpose is, although the mentions of the trust and a chance to register are a large hint if you ask me; and it could probably have some guarantees about email address etc it may suffer slightly from being an interview sheet and this as an online survey is missing that element.

BR
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Done. (and gave e-mail address).
  • Options
    Would have done but all questions requiring an answer when there is no don't know option would make it inaccurate. For example you can think a supporters trust could be a good idea in certain circumstances but not emphatically always. Likewise a view on off the field Q6 encompasses Chris Powell and his team as well as whoever was responsible for sacking Airman so cannot be answered as the question is far too broad. And surely if you would answer no to Q10 you wouldn't bother taking this survey. so inevitably the views expressed will be of the sack the board tendency?

Although one has reservations about certain things, there are obvious significant positives since the takeover. I do think a supporters trust lobby group should have a clear agenda for the changes it wishes to see and if it lobbies for change it must have a realistic alternative proposition. We all need to recognise that we are now on a road to somewhere and most of us can only guess where. We might have a better idea when the club is next sold, which of course must be the present owners intention.

This feedback is meant in a constructive way. The people who are putting time and effort into this initiative deserve respect.
  • Options
    I don't agree it's inevitable at all, in fact most people answered 3 on club set up (which doesn't sound like sack the board to me), and some that a trust was not a good idea. So I make you wrong.

I know some folk love to pick holes so I'll leave it there, it is what it is.

BR
  • Options
    Thanks for your final thought Bryan, altho as I said (sorry posted as castrust, my bad) I don't agree with one of your points. As I recall a don't know would just be no answer I'll amend the survey shortly to reflect that. The key questions for us are the priorities questions and I don't think there's any moans around those, although I'm sure someone on CL will find a hole in one of them somehow, its why I love you guys...

:)
  • Options
    People have asked what is the point of the survey... the idea is through face to face interviews and now online the people looking at setting up the trust want to gather a wide range of opinions from a cross section of the support.

And its a good way to publicise the trust idea beyond charltonlife life!

As soon as we have a statistically valid sample we can look to publish results which should be accurate +/- 5%.

Yeah the question design could be fine tuned but it worked for face to face interviews... can look at the comments above and do a version 2 later in the year... right now a group of people are working hard to launch the trust and could do with a hand when it comes to distributing leaflets and planning the launch.

note that this group has no policies and represents nobody right now...the survey findings will guide it and it will then be up to you to steer once the trust is up & running

Charlton till I die!
  • Options
    I will complete it after suggested alterations...I understand how difficult it is to present it in a non emotional way, but how can it not be emotional, for most of us it's our first love (hope the missus isnt looking in)
  • Options
    I've done all I'm likely to do this morning @maybe_baby
  • Options
    It's all too easy to tear apart another person's questionnaire.

Why not fill it in and leave blank the bits you are unhappy with?

Something is better than nothing to help the group get off the ground I would have thought.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    You could start the survey - do you agree with a fans forum at this current time time and if not why not? Then invite those that agree to answer the other questions. That is if you want to claim down the line it shows percentage levels of support for a forum. I think those that only strongly think it is the right thing to be doing right now will actually get to the end and submit.

As a survey for people commtted to a fans forum - it's fine.
  • Options
    Done