Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

When Is The Time Right .... To Offer Chris Powell A New Contract?

Chris Powell , joined Charlton in January 2011 , and signed a 3 year contract , so by my reckoning in January he will have 12 months left on his contract.

Would it not be a state of intent and also confidence in his ability to do the job to offer him another 3 year contract Asap , what with all the recent goings at the club , would it not also restore a bit of faith amongst the supporters , and add confidence and stability to the club as well as attracting potential new players , knowing that Chris is here for the long haul.

What with 'Who let the Doug out ' of the Stripey Nigels , doing a runner this week and only having 8 months left on his contract , increasing Chris Powell's contract would also potentially send out a signal to other clubs who may wish to nab Chris on the cheap, what do you think?

Comments

• Options
    Powell will stay / go when he wants regardless of his contract. Also don't think the owners are in a position financially to offer him an improved deal.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited October 2012
    I don't think he'd sign more than an extra year at most and not before the end of this season.
  • Options
    Would have to clear it with the new board first.
    Think they want Redknapp.
  • Options
    Good point but I doubt we've given Powell a contract just till January 2014 no managers contract runs out halfway through a season.

Think there's more important matters on the agenda at the moment though, change of ownership or investment and new people might have their own ideas on how things are run
  • Options
    I think he signed a 3 and a half year contract Mendonca.
  • Options

Would have to clear it with the new board first.
    Think they want Redknapp.

Cheeky!!!
  • Options
    Sack him. Clearly we need to "push on to the next level"

Wobble. Dribble. Helmet helmet.
  • Options
    He has gone from being the next one sacked to only signing a one year deal in the space of 3 days

I'd call that progress
  • Options
    Love him to death, really nice bloke, but not proven as a Manager yet. A lot will depend on what this season brings, both on and off the pitch.
  • Options
    He is proven as a manager. He has won the League One championship with 101 points breaking numerous records along the way. About 1% of established managers can lay claim to that sort of success so early in their career.

If he left Charlton, he would have no problem finding work elsewhere. So yes, he is proven.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm not so sure about that cafctom. He had one good season with us with significant backing.

Don't get me wrong I don't want him to leave, but I'm just not so sure if he would get another manager job at another club in the Championship or with the money to spend in the third division.

I can't see any reason to offer him a new deal, nor can I see any reason for him to want one. If his contract was going to be extended the time was in the summer. I can't see any good reason to do anything until next summer now unless someone starts sniffing around, and I can't see that just yet.
  • Options
    If he keeps us in the Championship then he will have done a much better job than what Alan Pardew or Phil Parkinson were able to do.

And also last season wasn't just a "good" season. It was exceptional, 10/10 - nothing less. There may have been backing involved, but he certainly didn't buy obvious choices. His dealings in the transfer market was nothing short of brilliant.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

If he keeps us in the Championship then he will have done a much better job than what Alan Pardew or Phil Parkinson were able to do.

And also last season wasn't just a "good" season. It was exceptional, 10/10 - nothing less. There may have been backing involved, but he certainly didn't buy obvious choices. His dealings in the transfer market was nothing short of brilliant.

The former is by no means a certainty, and I wasn't playing down last season, I really wasn't. Last season was, indeed, fantastic, but it would be a real gamble of another club to employ him based on just that season.

You need to remember that he failed to better Parkinson's results with the same squad, and the addition of Bradley Wright-Phillips and a couple of loans from higher divisions.

Again, I reiterate that he is most welcome at The Valley as far as I'm concerned, I just don't think he has 'proved' himself in one season when we did make some really impressive signings.
  • Options
    Yesterday...
  • Options
    You never realise what you have until its gone. Yes SCP is still very much learning his trade and will make mistakes but personally I have seen enough of him to think he has exactly what it takes on numerous levels and we are fortunate to have him. I would be looking to tie him down sooner rather than later.
  • Options

You never realise what you have until its gone. Yes SCP is still very much learning his trade and will make mistakes but personally I have seen enough of him to think he has exactly what it takes on numerous levels and we are fortunate to have him. I would be looking to tie him down sooner rather than later.

Agree. Hope he's here for a long time.
  • Options

Need to be careful with your phraseology, SHG ....!

But I agree 100%

• Options

But I agree 100%

Tut tut Fanny. You have a dirty mind.

• Options
    Didn't Newcastle just give Pardew an 8-year deal or something? Ridiculous but Powell's achieved at least as much with us over a similar period of time, probably for a tenth of the price and with a 100th of the ego. I'd be giving him a 5-year deal ASAP to demonstrate that we are as committed to him long-term as we would like him to be to us.
  • Options

But I agree 100%

That's what happens when you read " Fifty Shades " ! I've been corrupted !

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Managers have strengths and weaknesses, even the best. I don't undertsand how anybody can say that last season didn't make Powell a proven manager. It wasn't as if he inherited a team and with the funds he did spend - which wasn't as much as some think - he worked some miracles. Of course he will still be learning but that is surely a good thing. I definitely feel as happy with our manager as I have done since Curbs.
  • Options
    no
  • Options
    I hope that his contract included rewards for promotion and for keeping us up this season, there is no rush to give a new contract and 5 year contracts should not be given to anyone in this league.
  • Options
    Bit of a stab in the dark this, but would it be when his old contract runs out?
  • Options
    He is appearing at Dartford Football Club on the evening of 22 Nov. why don't you all go along and ask him yourselves? I believe even readers of the Sun will be admitted.
  • Options
    I think it all depends on how well he does this season regarding league position. If he keeps us up comfortably then hes earnt that new contract and hes the man to take us forward but if we just scrape it then we need someone else to take us forward. But personally I think Chris Powells is finding that winning formula so come the end of the season I think we will be sitting comfortably in the table and he will get his new contract.
  • Options

But I agree 100%

That's what happens when you read " Fifty Shades " ! I've been corrupted !

Thought you told me you wrote it!!!! ;-)

As for Chris, we have a man at the helm who has shown he can bring in a set of players and instil in them a desire and belief to play for THIS club. HIS club. OUR club. I hope no-one, be they fan or owner, ever underestimates how difficult that is and how few managers out there can do it.

Yes, he's learning, but as he showed last year he learns fast. Some club will reap long term benefits from his leadership. I hope that it will be us.
  • Options

If he keeps us up comfortably then hes earnt that new contract and hes the man to take us forward but if we just scrape it then we need someone else to take us forward. .

I think that would be a bit harsh.

I get the impression some are losing sight of the fact that we are the new boys in this league and we don't have a divine right to finish that far above the relegation zone. If he keeps us up this year then it is a successful year in which progress has been made.
  • Options
    One more win and then get the pen out Mr Jimenez, and sign him up!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Agree.

How anyone can think CP is anything but the right man to take this club forward in a footballing context, is off their rocker.