Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Paul Hayes booed at Brentford

Feel sorry for the lad, had a cracking start last season for us and played a big part in some of the best football I had see at Charlton for quite a few years, Very unlucky to be dropped for Kermit but fair play to Kermit he took his place and never let it go. Hope he finds his form soon.

http://www.hounslowchronicle.co.uk/west-london-sport/west-london-brentford-fc/2012/10/23/rosler-hits-out-at-brentford-boo-boys-after-hayes-abuse-109642-32091917/

Comments

• Options
    I'm sure all football clubs are the same , but we'd never do that would we? :-0
  • Options
    I wonder how long it will be until someone blames our fans?!
  • Options
    Booing a player when the team wins - idiotic.
  • Options
    Charlton 5 - 1 Notts County
  • Options
    That wasn't booing Boggzy, that was shouting "OFF OFF OFF OFF" !! That makes it alright !! ;-)
  • Options
    Oh yeah!! Forgot about that! Remember Curbs going apeshit at the end telling all the players not to clap us...
  • Options
    I wrote to Kim Grant after that Notts County game as I was so embarrassed by the actions of our fans.
    Hope Paul wins them over at Brentford he did a good job for us when called upon.
  • Options
    Sounds like Brentford have moronic fans just as we do.
  • Options
    My mate whose a Brentford fan already strongly dislikes Paul. Feel sorry for him, I insist he's a good player but it's hard for him to take when he's missing 4 sitters like (apparently) in the last game.
    Not that booing him is gunna help anything obviously
  • Options
    I thought Paul did well for us, especially link up play and working very hard. But I'll be honest, whenever he was in a goal scoring position he's not one of those players you'd bet your house on scoring...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    To be fair, although he didn't get booed, I remember sections of our fans getting very frustrated with him not long before he was dropped for Yann.

Think there's just some people who can't be doing with a forward who doesn't frequently bang them in.

• Options
    Just out of interest (I'm not condoning booing), for those who feel booing is never appropriate, damages morale etc how would you rather voice your displeasure as a paying fan when a team/individual clearly haven't put a shift in or are under-performing? Or do you feel it's never appropriate as the players know when they've not performed and don't need the fans to point it out? What about the players for whom things aren't going right (missing sitters etc) but then don't attempt to make up for this with an increased effort or work rate?
  • Options
    Ross - more so the latter. Players know when they've had a bad game/spell. The whole point of having a manager in charge of the team is to be able to guide them back on track when necessary.

If you know you've had a sh!t day at work, your boss tearing a strip off you is unlikely to change anything for the better.

Tell me a time when booing a Charlton player or manager has really worked in our favor?
  • Options
    I liked Hayesy and thought he contributed to our success last season - hope his fortunes turn around at Brentford.
  • Options
    Good player, maybe his confidence is shot and finding it hard to get it back?

Did have games where he couldnt find the net, remember the scunny game last year when he missed about 6-7 chances and was replaced by Jason Euell.
  • Options
    Looks a decent Div1 link up player but a natural goal getter he certainly isn't. Remember one game last year PH storming into the 6yard box to meet a cross & he actually tried to control it rather than give it a little prod into the goal.
    Think his little spell at Wycombe fooled herr rosler
  • Options
    If you can cheer when its going well then you can boo when its not, cant just have it one way. If fans feel they need to show discontent, then thats up to them.
    Supporters pay their money. I wouldn't boo my team for losing, but I will if they have no fight or spirit and just give up. If any pro footballer doesn't like it then pack up the game they are privileged and lucky enough to get paid (well) for and go and do a normal job like most of the supporters do.

*Retreats into Anderson shelter*
  • Options
    I liken Paul to Luke Varney for us. Worked hard, looked better on the flanks, and not a natural goal scorer.
  • Options
    "If you can cheer when its going well then you can boo when its not, cant just have it one way. If fans feel they need to show discontent, then thats up to them.
    Supporters pay their money. I wouldn't boo my team for losing, but I will if they have no fight or spirit and just give up. If any pro footballer doesn't like it then pack up the game they are privileged and lucky enough to get paid (well) for and go and do a normal job like most of the supporters do."

Fine, boo them if you feel necessary - but again, it won't actually achieve anything whatsoever other than more discontent.

I'm sick of hearing about how supporters pay their money and therefore expect results. Supporters of all teams play money to watch Football, but they can't have it their way all the time. Teams have to lose every now and then. From time to time, they have to get a thrashing - it wouldn't be Football if it didn't work like that.

And believe it or not, there are also times when players don't put in 100% or have an off day, for whatever reason. Have you given absolutely 100% in every day you've had at work? Have you never come away from work thinking "Maybe I could have done a bit more in reflection"?
  • Options
    "If you can cheer when its going well then you can boo when its not, cant just have it one way. If fans feel they need to show discontent, then thats up to them.
    Supporters pay their money. I wouldn't boo my team for losing, but I will if they have no fight or spirit and just give up. If any pro footballer doesn't like it then pack up the game they are privileged and lucky enough to get paid (well) for and go and do a normal job like most of the supporters do."

Fine, boo them if you feel necessary - but again, it won't actually achieve anything whatsoever other than more discontent.

I'm sick of hearing about how supporters pay their money and therefore expect results. Supporters of all teams play money to watch Football, but they can't have it their way all the time. Teams have to lose every now and then. From time to time, they have to get a thrashing - it wouldn't be Football if it didn't work like that.

And believe it or not, there are also times when players don't put in 100% or have an off day, for whatever reason. Have you given absolutely 100% in every day you've had at work? Have you never come away from work thinking "Maybe I could have done a bit more in reflection"?

I'm sick of people comparing being a privileged pro footballer and someone doing a normal job, people do not pay their hard earned to watch me at work. Ridiculous comment.

Read my post again Tom, any sportsman who plays with no spirit or passion deserves all they get, I never once mentioned expecting results. A poor effort at spin!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Excellent post cafctom!
  • Options
    "I'm sick of people comparing being a privileged pro footballer and someone doing a normal job, people do not pay their hard earned to watch me at work. Ridiculous comment."

It doesn't matter how privileged they are. They are still human beings who suffer the same ups and downs with work as the rest of us do.

All this tripe about "no spirit or passion" - so many seem to get this mixed up with lack of confidence. And more often than not, that lack of confidence comes through lack of backing from those around them.

Everyone gets in a huff and puff about how much England players earn and how little result they produce in tournaments. Sorry, but if I played for the England team and 90% of the supporters had no interest in doing anything but slagging off, then I probably wouldn't play to the best of my ability either. Nothing to do with 'no passion'.
  • Options
    cafctom - you are obviously not reading my posts. Either that or you cannot make an objective debate. you take one word out of all I posted 'privileged', conveniently ignoring my points, if I had said just 'footballer', then your comment would have no relevance. They are privileged, people pay to see them, they earn very good money, like I said you cannot compare what the average Joe does for a living compared to a pro footballer it is a ridiculous comment.

No do not seem to have any idea about the make up of most sportsmen, you can have as much skill as you like, but if you have no passion, or spirit or fight, then all the talent in the world will not make up for that. A club at our level will not have the greatest technical players, so we have to make it up with fight and passion. It is not 'tripe' it is fact. If they leave that in the dressing room then we have no chance, there is no excuse for not fighting for our club and for that I will boo, like I said in my first post, I will not boo a player for trying or for getting it wrong, BUT if they do not try I will be on their back.
  • Options
    I had a lot of time for Paul Hayes, but there is no doubt that his first touch is not very good, and he does have a tendency to miss chances that you would expect him to put away. I don't suppose he is deliberately missing chances at Brentford, and I suspect that he is giving his all, as he always seemed to do so for us but, as a fan you are entitled to be disappointed if a player misses something that he shouldn't.

The booing debate has been done to death on here and I'm not interested in opening it again but Paul had the benefit of playing in a better side with us; we had a fantastic start to the season; and he had BWP scoring goals from the assists he was providing. If he was signed as an out and out goal scorer then he is going to suffer some criticism from the fans as he, clearly, is not one of those. His time at Wycombe was not, really, characteristic of his career and unless they have a poacher that can feed off his passes like BWP or Beaveron (what ever his name was) he is going to struggle a little bit.

His best seasons have been as a modest scoring forward in teams that challenged for or won promotion from the third division, I don't see Brentford as one of those so I have to wonder if his time there is going to be more Scunthorpe or more Preston.

Good luck to him, but if the rumours of him being on a contract of £5,000 a week are true then I can understand why some of the Brentford fans might be expecting a little more.
  • Options
    Greenie-just out of curiosity, which Charlton players have you booed for not trying/playing with passion?
  • Options
    Greenie-just out of curiosity, which Charlton players have you booed for not trying/playing with passion?

OK, I dont mind fueling your fire, off the top of my head - M Bent, JFH, Carlton Cole, even Murphy had a few games where he appeared to not give a fuck! Enough or do you want more?

What I find appalling is the treatment given to players like David Mooney, who was booed by morons before he had even taken to the pitch, but I guess you were expecting me to name him in my list above.
  • Options
    I'm with greenie on this - lack of ability or a poor result is one thing but a lack of effort isnt acceptable in my opinion. They are all incredibly privileged (although some may not appreciate it as they've never know any different). In the most part, football fans will love a player purely based on their work rate and commitment and it sometimes surprises me when players don't make the most of that and it does make me question how much some of them care about their respective club/fans.
    I do agree with Tom that booing doesnt achieve anything in terms of outcome but a player who clearly isn't working hard is pretty much taking the piss out of fans that sing his name, pay good money to support them and the kids that idolise them.
  • Options

I wrote to Kim Grant after that Notts County game as I was so embarrassed by the actions of our fans.
    Hope Paul wins them over at Brentford he did a good job for us when called upon.

The most disgraceful behaviour to one of our players in my years of supporting
    . I wrote to him too to apologise for the covered end.

People complain about booing the team (even when sometimes it's deserved) but when it's directed at one player it's really not on.
  • Options
    Whats this notts County game everyone is referring to?
  • Options
    I was expecting the names you gave to be honest and, although i try not to get on any player's back, wouldn't disagree with any of them. I just think that occasionally people get lack of ability mixed up with lack of passion and give a player stick even though they are giving 110% and more. Although the points you make agree with this, as an admitted booer, I just wanted to make sure you weren't slagging off any players unjustly!