Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

PFA proposals - Powell, Dyer and Euell would be in big demand!

One of the PFA's points in their anti-racism proposals is a "Rooney Rule" that interview lists should always include a qualified black coach. If that happens, Charlton will forever be approached for permission to interview key members of our current management staff. Recipe for chaos...

Comments

• Options
    Paul Mortimer was on Talk Sport last night talking about the subject. Is he still coaching the women's team? He seemed pretty aggrieved at the perceived lack of coaching opportunities that he has received.
  • Options
    cant say i agree with the rooney rule either!

best man for the job n all that.
  • Options
    I thought I read that although they mentioned the Rooney rule they weren't keen on introducing it here.
  • Options
    I thought it only provided an opportunity to interview? Not sure it would work in English football where owners have generally made up their mind who they want beforehand.
  • Options
    Joe - Paul Mortimer recently left the women's team. not sure what he is doing now.
    Suzi - it is on the list of PFA proposals announced yesterday.
    Johnny - yes, it is only to interview, but would mean there had to be at least one ethnic minority candidate on every interview list - so that would mean Powell asked for interview by Bolton, Ipswich and Palace at the moment, you could imagine....
  • Options
    It looks like overkill to me. It has probably been brought to the surface to satisfy the Ferdinand Brothers that seem to be on a mission to disagree with as many people as possible to make them the face of black footballers everywhere.

It just doesn't work. In football, experience is even more important than academic qualifications, than most other occupations. These are private businesses, the owners can employ whom ever they want, and normally there isn't, exactly, an interview procedure anyway.

If they push this through there will be a half dozen black qualified managers that will be able to charge for applying and interviewing for positions that everyone knows they will not be offered. If there are six, for example, qualified black managers then if we assume that eighteen clubs change their manager each season these men will have, on average, three interviews a season. Once it becomes apparent that none of these men will get offered the jobs they will be able to demand £10k, £20k or maybe even more for an interview.

If a Premier League club intends to pay £1m+ in compensation to take a lower league manager then why wouldn't they pay £1.1m with the other £100k being used to keep the PFA off their back by interviewing, say, Paul Ince - after the press have announced that a compensation package had already been agreed for the chap they want and will take.

Complete madness!
  • Options
    I'm not a fan of the 'Rooney' ruling , or the man himself , but we could do with him at the moment given our striker crisis.
  • Options
    If you look at the betting for most jobs vacant ATM its the same old names....very few clubs take a chance on a new face either black or white really (I know we both have..)

Clubs could just interview a black person without any intention of appointing them..would that really make them feel better?
  • Options
    Good point, MiA...but don't think we could afford him....
  • Options
    Personally think its ridiculous that you have to interview an ethnic minority

Absolutely stupid

You interview who you would like for the job - why should you have to speak to a token black guy? Surely it just undermines black coaches?

"Thanks for coming to see us - you won't be getting this job but we are filling our quota so that's good"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Swisdom said:

Personally think its ridiculous that you have to interview an ethnic minority

Absolutely stupid

You interview who you would like for the job - why should you have to speak to a token black guy? Surely it just undermines black coaches?

"Thanks for coming to see us - you won't be getting this job but we are filling our quota so that's good"

Totally agree.

What is the basis that the ethnic minority coach should be interviewed?