Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Double Glazing Companies - Installation

Just wondering if someone can guide me on this.

Agreed a price for double glazing around all my house last week - £6k for 13 windows and 3 doors (agreed it now, so god knows if I have a good deal, and quite frankly I dont want to know if I havent!). Leaded windows at the front, and equal sightlines all round. Wood grain UPVC.

Anyway - the surveyor came round on Tuesday and my wife signed off the form. Nobody mentioned to her (I only picked up on a read through) that the surveyor stated that not all the windows can be reached by a ladder. I have seen horror stories online about people agreeing a price, and then being told to cough up ridiculous fees for scaffolding after the 10 day cancellation period has passed.

Could anyone clarify:

1) How much a very simple scaffold tower should cost for 1 day hire (the estimate they gave me was 500 quid which seems a joke). I dont want them using the chance to milk a few hundred quid for their own pockets
2) I thought you can fit a window from the inside, so why the hell cant they just do that?
3) Is it reasonable to expect scaffolding to be required on a normal detached house - only two stories high?

Thanks everyone.

They are calling me tomorrow to let me know if anything is required payment wise from me. This is a major nationwide company I am dealing with here. Am terrified that I will be left with a massive scaffolding bill that I shouldnt even need to pay (and may well struggle to pay).

Comments

• edited October 2012
    Without knowing the finer details I would imagine that if you only agreed it all on Tuesday you are entitled to a "cooling-off" period.

If they try to pull a scaffolding scam use it.
  • No - problem is that the contract was signed last Friday. Survey carried out on Weds but I am still waiting on the results of it. If it drags out to Monday I am held in to the deal.

I just have a feeling that Tuesday morning I will get a call claiming they need to build the eiffel tower round my house to fit the toilet window and I am screwed.
  • Phone them up and say you want to cancel. When they ask why (because they will) explain the situation and state you will only agree to continue if they guarantee the agreed price. Oh and insist on their response in writing (due to the time scale an e-mail but to be followed by a posted letter). Someone with legal knowledge on here will hopefully say that will cover you.
  • What does the small print say?

I would have thought that on the face of it if you have been quoted a price then scaffolding (if needed) is their problem not yours.

I would both e mail and write to clarify in writing pronto exactly what you have paid for as it is your understanding that the agreed £6k covers all costs. Stress that you have asked for this information (and they have received your request) within the required cooling off period.

If (when) they don't reply you will be on good ground to refuse to pay any more than the agreed £6k as you will be able to demonstrate you did all that is reasonable to clarify the position.

If of course they play a straight bat and clarify matters immediately you can make an informed decision dependent on what is said.
  • The whole point of the survey is to price the job, you should be ok
  • Did they give you a quotation or an estimate?
    Should not make a difference if they are a reputable company as the price they gave you should include everything neccesary to complete the agreed work.
  • Damo
    I would definitely challenge them on the costs, a simple 2 storey 3 stage scaffolding tower to hire for a day is around £70.00 with safety barriers. Re fitting of windows, these days most windows can be fitted direct fix to the brickwork through the frame and from within side the house, quick question here are they internally glazed / external solid bead, or externally glazed / internal bead solid bead, nearly all modern upvc windows are internally glazed.

They will probably require some external access to weatherproof silicone seal the windows around the frame and below the cill.
    As a guide I pay a good sub contractor window fitter around £150.00 to £180.00 a day

PM me if you need more advice
  • £500 for a days hire for a scaffold tower???They could get a powered platform for less. Inbox me and i will get you one cheaper.
  • Had this a few years ago when i was in dartford quoted the job then tried it on with remote scaffold claiming couldnt get up the front because of garage below refused to pay so they tried to do from inside made a real mess trying to smash the old metal frames out glass every where ,chunks of plaster ripped out had to have the whole lounge redone ended up getting 3000 off price
    Dont pay in full till your happy with job
    Had them back about 10 times after !
    Complete cowboys
    Still trading though