Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Safe Standing

1235»

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2012

Disappointing that we aren't on this list.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20679867

yea gutting, i hate sitting down.
  • Options
    I'm all for it but what happens if the standing area sells out? The rest of us are then forced to sit down by what I'm sure will be much tighter stewarding
  • Options
    "The majority of away fans obviously want to stand, as they spend the vast majority of the time doing so. Either some way has to be found to stop them, or some form of safe standing needs to be introduced. The current solution of allowing fans to use seated areas for standing cannot continue forever, it is only a matter of time before some people get seriously injured, especially at ground where there is a high rake in the seating area (e.g. Newcastle where the away fans are high in the top tier, it is only a matter of time before a couple of people fall forward and there is a cascade effect)."

The fact that 'at some point someone might get hurt standing in a seating area' simply cannot be used as an argument for standing, 'safe' or otherwise. The fact is, no one has ever been killed from standing in a seating area (as far as I am aware). No one is going to change the law based on maybes like this. You claims about falling forward are more of an argument for flatter stadiums rather than standing or sitting.
  • Options
    Don't Man United away fans have a standing area anyway?

I guess if we had standing areas if would mean there'd be less seats to throw on the pitch.
  • Options
    No surprise that the likes of Peterboro, Brentford and Wimbledon want it. Saves them spending money on seating when they already have standing in place now.
  • Options
    Signed and sent to friends. It works abroad and it all looks pretty safe to me. It wasn't standing that killed people at Hillsborough, it was too many people in one area.
  • Options
    Needs to happen best way to watch football is standing
  • Options
    edited December 2012
  • Options
    Perhaps the German model is not as good as Prague suggests?
    bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20708310
    bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20711610
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Struggle to see the link with standing
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

cafcfan said:

This
  • Options

cafcfan said:

This
    It might just be a massive coincidence, but they have standing and we don't. They have significant rises in trouble at grounds, we don't.

Clearly there are, potentially, other factors but.......

• Options
    '•Beer and sausages are delivered to your seat in some Bundesliga stadiums '

Sounds great
  • Options

It might just be a massive coincidence, but they have standing and we don't. They have significant rises in trouble at grounds, we don't.

Clearly there are, potentially, other factors but.......

but nothing. They've always had standing, it's not suddenly been introduced, so therefore a rise can't be down to standing. The fact that a German MP used Hertha Berlin as an argument against standing, when their ground has no standing areas tells you everything you need to know, even those staunchly against standing can't find an example of where it's contributed to problems significantly.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    redcarter said:

'•Beer and sausages are delivered to your seat in some Bundesliga stadiums '

Sounds great

im just imagining having a saveloy treat and a pint brought to me in the covered end now while watching the haddocks, i dream a dream...?
  • Options
    KHA

you understand, I guess, that German standing is not like the old Valley, where you could walk round most of the ground, and where away fans could infiltrate the Covered End? Away fans are carefully segregated, standing or otherwise. I hope you don't wish to suggest that people who prefer to stand are more likely to cause trouble? As for your claim that we don't have any crowd trouble, I suspect Rio Ferdinand would beg to differ with you.
  • Options
    I find standing with my legs slightly apart with my toes pointing forward is pretty safe.
  • Options

hope you don't wish to suggest that people who prefer to stand are more likely to cause trouble?

As for your claim that we don't have any crowd trouble, I suspect Rio Ferdinand would beg to differ with you.

No, but I suspect that those that want to cause trouble are more likely to want to stand.

I said Germany has rises in trouble. I was talking about the statistical trends, not the actual numbers of incidents.

I'm not against standing, I just think that if we are to get it approved we need to be open to all discussions both about the benefits to those that want to stand and the obvious objections from those that don't want it.
  • Options
    edited December 2012

@KHA: I'm not against standing, I just think that if we are to get it approved we need to be open to all discussions both about the benefits to those that want to stand and the obvious objections from those that don't want it.

Bring it on. I trust it will be a discussion based on facts rather than conjecture and prejudice.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    The whole Germany reference is a complete red-herring in this case. They had safe standing already, trouble has risen recently, both at grounds with and without safe standing. Some of the worst examples of trouble have been at grounds that don't have any standing areas. Therefore, the trouble in Germany has absolutely nothing to do with standing at matches. In many ways football mirrors society. We've had economic woes, having to bail out other countries, Germany have had to bail out others more than any one. That means society as a whole isn't as happy as it was and anywhere that people go to vent their stress will see a rise in, and exaggeration of any troubles it may have had before.

Same here with abuse of players. Have the grounds suddenly changed? Of course not, what's happening is that everybody is feeling the economic pinch whilst players are getting paid more and more. The connection between fans and players becomes more and more broken, fans no longer see players as normal people, but as something to be refiled and attacked.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I trust it will be a discussion based on facts rather than conjecture and prejudice.

Sadly, I doubt it!