Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gary Glitter's arrest today

Just seen it on the news. Recognised the building he was coming out of/going back to - it turns out he lives about two minutes walk away from where I work.

Can't imagine it's all going to prove very popular with the neighbours as it's not exactly cheap round there. Crime - and sick vile crime at that - clearly does pay.

(Admin: hopefully this topic isn't too near the line - if we're all sensible - but please do feel free to close if you think it is.)

Comments

• Where's he live (for all the chavs out there) ?
  • When they said the clocks go back this weekend.

Didn't realise it meant arresting Gary Glitter again!
  • A lot of other people involved in the music industry at that time will be worried and should be. However, some seem to be villified and others aren't - depends on the band they were in clearly....
  • When they are talking about a dozen other "stars" being implicated in the Savile thing, it would be hard to imagine GG not being on the list.

Can't imagine it would be popular with the neighbours anywhere. At least if you've got the money to live somewhere swish, you've got the money to get away if it bothers you.

• Now released.

Don't think it can be said, in this instance, that crime pays. He made his money from sources other than crime as far as can be seen. Although there is a strong argument that his wealth should be distributed amongst his victims.

• There are still parts of the world where his music is popular so he's still raking in royalties.
  • I saw a mail on a music list from an Aussie who walked into a bar in Thailand and put GG on the jukebox. Seems everyone else in the bar was British and they put their drinks down and glared at him. After a while he asked them what the problem was, he genuinely hadn't heard about Glitters conviction, he said he felt pretty sick when they explained it!
  • I saw a mail on a music list from an Aussie who walked into a bar in Thailand and put GG on the jukebox. Seems everyone else in the bar was British and they put their drinks down and glared at him. After a while he asked them what the problem was, he genuinely hadn't heard about Glitters conviction, he said he felt pretty sick when they explained it!

If we'd've hung him the news may've travelled further!
  • Or put him on one of them glue board things and try to flush him down one massive khazi, eh @BIG_ROB?
    ;o)
  • Off_it said:

Or put him on one of them glue board things and try to flush him down one massive khazi, eh @BIG_ROB?
    ;o)

Yeah, you got it Offy pal! ; )
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2012
    Off_it said:

Just seen it on the news. Recognised the building he was coming out of/going back to - it turns out he lives about two minutes walk away from where I work.

Can't imagine it's all going to prove very popular with the neighbours as it's not exactly cheap round there. Crime - and sick vile crime at that - clearly does pay.

(Admin: hopefully this topic isn't too near the line - if we're all sensible - but please do feel free to close if you think it is.)

Same, I have been flat sharing a stone's throw from that building for the past 2 years. Sickening.

• I can't believe that the tabloids didn't hear all the gossip about Savile and his associates, why didn't they publish? And now there all full of how the BBC should've acted.
    Hypocrites.
  • edited October 2012
    Everyone involved in this should be brought to justice, doesnt matter if you preformed the sexual contact or witnessed it and was too scared to say anything all are just as bad in my eyes. Also before people go on about how it was different in those days I would of kept going and got the truth out whilst Savile was alive, wasnt there this one group who campaigned for twenty years against a police force.
  • iainment said:

I can't believe that the tabloids didn't hear all the gossip about Savile and his associates, why didn't they publish? And now there all full of how the BBC should've acted.
    Hypocrites.

The tabloid press hypocrites surely you jest!
  • I am sceptical about what the police will be able to do in most of these cases. They are keen to be making the right noises - saying there's no hiding place and all that - taking the allegations seriously and to be seen doing something. But how are they ever going to bring prosecutions for offences that may have happened forty or fifty years ago? Even today with modern forensics and DNA testing it's very difficult to bring a prosecution and secure a conviction for sexual assault or rape. It will be the accuser saying, "He did it" and the accused saying, "No, I didn't". You can't bring a prosecution on that basis. There must be compelling corroborative evidence, such as reliable witness statements, but I get the impression that the allegations are coming from individuals - I doubt that anyone but Savile would have been given free rein to wander around hospitals and children's homes committing abusive acts in full sight of witnesses.
  • Yet again an arrest by police was 'caught' on camera, this is absolutely wrong. No matter what he (Paul Gadd) is accused of doing, the police should not be tipping off journalists. As the Leveson enquiry has shown this is the thin end of police corruption, it distorts our system of justice and at times has blighted the lives of innocent people.

I'm not saying that this man in innocent (indeed I strongly suspect not) but, until such claims are tested in a court of law with due process his arrest and especially his home address should remain private. Given the nature of the claims made against him, it is highly likely that his safety has been put in jeopardy. Some might say that is a good thing but, we must protect our system of justice for everybody.
  • scum bag easy target --- why with all the Glitter has done didnt some naffing Plod think it might be worth looking into his track record over the last few decades?

no hiding place for the abushers----no matter who they are. Let them worry about the 6am knock on the door.
  • I had no idea he wasn't locked up already, sick f***.

Did anyone ever watch this documentary ?

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-execution-of-gary-glitter/episode-guide/series-1/episode-1
  • Loco said:

Yet again an arrest by police was 'caught' on camera, this is absolutely wrong. No matter what he (Paul Gadd) is accused of doing, the police should not be tipping off journalists. As the Leveson enquiry has shown this is the thin end of police corruption, it distorts our system of justice and at times has blighted the lives of innocent people.

I'm not saying that this man in innocent (indeed I strongly suspect not) but, until such claims are tested in a court of law with due process his arrest and especially his home address should remain private. Given the nature of the claims made against him, it is highly likely that his safety has been put in jeopardy. Some might say that is a good thing but, we must protect our system of justice for everybody.

I agree entirely with what you say Loco. But, surely, even the Met's finest wouldn't be so utterly stupid in the current climate to go around taking money from the media for a tip-off? (Or indeed after Leveson, the media to offer up a bung.) Perhaps the press, having heard the allegations on TV, had Glitter's address staked out?
    A bit odd by the way that the plod seemed to be taking stuff away in bin bags rather than proper securely sealed evidence sacks. I can only think that the bin bags were used to hide the contents from prying eyes and had the evidence bags - which are transparent - inside.
  • Sponsored links:

• If I was a camera man who knew where Glitter lived - I'd camp out there for a pic of his arrest as it was always going to happen wasn't it and most papers would want it. Doesn't mean anybody was tipped off.
  • I'm making an assumption that he was arrested in relation to the accusation he was seen having sex with an underage girl in the early 1970's. Chances of making that stick are slim to none. However looks like an excuse to get him for a more recent crime (hence taking away some of his current belongings). As he's got previous I have no problem with that approach.
  • Where does he live? Is that picture taken in Battersea?
  • edited October 2012
    Looks like Fulham to me.

And anyone who thinks that GG's home wasn't under 24 hours press watch is being very naive imo.
  • Loco said:

Yet again an arrest by police was 'caught' on camera, this is absolutely wrong. No matter what he (Paul Gadd) is accused of doing, the police should not be tipping off journalists. As the Leveson enquiry has shown this is the thin end of police corruption, it distorts our system of justice and at times has blighted the lives of innocent people.

well said that man
  • Deviating slightly (no pun intended!), I used to know a pro Bass player who was in Freddie Starr's tour backing band for a couple of seasons back in the 80s. He told some rather 'interesting' stories.. Nothing about underage stuff, but but some very dodgy things involving groupies (Freddie had many - usually good 'Would ya' candidates). Not sure if I could post them up here, for legal reasons - as much as I'd like to.. Let's just say "is what I'm doing legal" wasn't a point FS seemed to ponder long & hard on...
  • edited October 2012
    Photographers were camped out there 8am this morning.
  • A lot of these allegations aren't rape but "sexual assault".

I may be wrong but I think a lot of these claims are about wandering hands as much as anything so pretty much impossible to price or disprove.

As said the police are doing what they have to do but not much chance of much sticking.

Max Clifford was on tv last week saying he's had loads of nervous celebs contact him saying they didn't do anything wildly wrong - it was a different era and not as frowned upon as now.

The whole thing is a mess and will just rumble on with no real result at the end that we don't already know
  • But Glitter is a serious nonce case so regardless of whether this was minor , it's a great chance to lock him up and throw away the keys.
  • Photographers were camped out there 8am this morning.

Yeah, and a TV van.

Looks like there was some sort of "security guard" on the door as well. They'd all gone when I went past again at about 8pm though.