Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Expectations for next two home games

2»

Comments

• Options
    Scoham said:

We don't have the quality in midfield to play 4-4-2, need to play a form of 4-5-1.

Our strength is our defending, we can win games scoring 1 or 2 goals a game.

If we don't have the quality in midfield, then why play 5 instead of 4? Where's the logic in that?
  • Options

If one up with 5 across the middle gets us points then so be it. We play more attractive football that way too with these players. We should play to our strengths. Same as under Curbs when we needed points, defend and counter-attack can be best home or away.

It gets us draws away from home but that's no good to us at The Valley .

Remind me. What happened when we played 4-4-2 in the second half against the mighty Barnsley?

We were crap but our only home win of the season was achieved by a 4-4-2 formation . By all means go 4-5-1 once we take the lead but from the start it just does not work when the onus is on us to win at home.
  • Options
    Two 6-0 wins.
  • Options
    Just got to pray fuller is fit for one or both of these games. We need a finisher if we are going to win one if these games
  • Options
    edited October 2012

If one up with 5 across the middle gets us points then so be it. We play more attractive football that way too with these players. We should play to our strengths. Same as under Curbs when we needed points, defend and counter-attack can be best home or away.

With you on that, swords

It gets us draws away from home but that's no good to us at The Valley .
    Remind me. What happened when we played 4-4-2 in the second half against the mighty Barnsley?

Bedsaddick said: "We were crap but our only home win of the season was achieved by a 4-4-2 formation . By all means go 4-5-1 once we take the lead but from the start it just does not work when the onus is on us to win at home.

The one win at home was very lucky as we were over-run for long periods. Slowly slowly catchy monkey. We are not going to change this home form problem in one game. Time for caution. 4-5-1 or bust. Two shut outs will be an improvement then the confidence can grow. Sneak a one nil and a 0-0, fine by me.
  • Options

Scoham said:

We don't have the quality in midfield to play 4-4-2, need to play a form of 4-5-1.

If we don't have the quality in midfield, then why play 5 instead of 4? Where's the logic in that?
    Nathan, Is that a serious comment ?

I agree with Scoham. It seems any 4 aren't good/mobile enough. Although having Wilson in there, is definitely better.

But if we don't want to keep getting overrun, then 5 men are obviously better than 4.
  • Options
    If Bailey plays, give him a clap for me
  • Options
    both teams won on the weekend. one is top of the league the other is third. Its going to be bloody difficult to get anything out of them but a couple of points out of them can be achieved.
  • Options

Scoham said:

Nathan, Is that a serious comment ?

I agree with Scoham. It seems any 4 aren't good/mobile enough. Although having Wilson in there, is definitely better.

But if we don't want to keep getting overrun, then 5 men are obviously better than 4.
    It was serious. I don't think Nathan thinks with both feet.

• Options
    6 points 6 goals scored 0 conceeded
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    At best, 1 point.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Spot on. Think this is the key point. Powell clearly knows it too now so let's hope he's been earning his money at Sparrows Lane this week and has come up with a plan!

• Options
    Need 6 but i'll take 4points.
  • Options

Not gonna be a great spectacle utilising a counter-attacking set up with nine defenders and striker who can't score at home but needs must.

0-0
    0-1
  • Options
    A lot of people are talking about this whole home/away difference.

Personally I think its more down to opposition. We have played better against the bigger sides (hence why we beat Leicester at HOME).
  • Options
    No expectations for me...just that we play to our best ability and entertain.
  • Options
    think that george friend needs to be stopped and a combination of Wilson and Solly should achieve that .Does that require 5 in midfield or 4 ?not sure but i would think that a midfield of Wilson ,Dervite ,Pritchard ,Jackson and Kerkar will definitely start assuming all fit .Then we go 442 only if we are chasing the game .BWP will lose out to Hulse but will get a chance second half if we need a goal .if not then no chance for BWP.Powell will want to win at home on saturday and would likely be thinking that the best prospect is to eek out a result with a 451 line up .Concerned however about lack of pace in team .to an extent that would be addressed when Wiggins comes back in but that is not fully the answer.
  • Options
    4-5-1 at home can work if you had a goal threat, say Haynes and Waggy playing wide, perhaps interchanging so they can shoot with good foot (and FBs push on). FBs were not getting forward with Solly on left, hopefully more of that now. I'd like perhaps Cook at home for a pace option.
  • Options
    MUST win 1 of them, one win and one loss wouldn't be a disaster.
  • Options

MUST win 1 of them, one win and one loss wouldn't be a disaster.

agree with this
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ashley said:

Concerned however about lack of pace in team .to an extent that would be addressed when Wiggins comes back in but that is not fully the answer.

Concerned by the lack of pace? Im pretty sure Wiggins coming in for Evina will make us even slower considering Evina is absolutely rapid.
  • Options
    Really tough games, aren't Boro on 5 wins away and Cardiff top of the league. I'll be happy with 2 points but fear two 2-0 defeats which I have predicted for the last two games so hopefully the result will go true to my prediction form
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Kap10 said:

Really tough games, aren't Boro on 5 wins away

No they're not on 5 wins. Certainly not league wins. They've won 3 & lost 3.
  • Options
    edited October 2012

Kap10 said:

Really tough games, aren't Boro on 5 wins away

No they're not on 5 wins. Certainly not league wins.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/middlesbrough
    Correct only 3 and prior to that interestingly they lost 3 on the spin in this topsy turvy league away to Barnsley, Millwall and 4-1at Blackpool so there is hope! COYR
  • Options
    I think people are making too much of a big deal over this " were too negative at home ". As someone mentioned we played 4-5-1 against Blackburn and should of won comfortably.
  • Options
    Boro have won their last five away in all competitions. Blackburn, Preston (LC), Watford, Brighton & Sunderland (LC).
  • Options

Might be more interesting to ask who our scorers will be in the next two games?

• Options
  • Options

Might be more interesting to ask who our scorers will be in the next two games?

Spot on!

That is problem with our 4-5-1 who are our goal scorers... Hulse? No. Kerkar? No. Stephens? No.
  • Options

Might as well put money on a 4-4 goal-fest now while you have the chance...

(Solly hat trick plus late equaliser from Hamer)