Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Test driving new cars -what's reasonable

Just wondering what's normal practice in the UK nowadays.

If the car you are thinking of costs about 30k, isn't it reasonable to expect they might bring the car to you, rather than them make you come to the showroom? Or is it that forms have to be signed or something?

And what is reasonable in terms of the time and distance you choose to drive the thing on test? And is it reasonable to expect to drive it on your own, without the salesman

Any other tips for test drives? Haven't done one for years, and in the Czech Republic they seem to have the attitude still that its a privilege for you to be allowed to buy a new car :-)

Comments

• Options
    Should bend over backwards for you if they think you are serious, you will be their new best friend. When companies bought fleet cars dealers would lend a car for staff to borrow for the weekend but relied on the fleet manager to look after things, so not sure if they would do it for someone not a regular customer.
    If you want a particular spec model to test they might need to order one from another site but picking you up should be no problem. Prestige car dealers much more accommodating than others.
  • Options
    Thanks Dippenhall.
    Kind of confirms why I'm a bit grumpy. I am effectively a fleet customer, an ad agency which is my client has fixed it up, and they've already offered me their fleet discount. The thing is the car is -don't laugh - a Citroen, but all the more reason then why they ought to be nice. Especially out here there are not too many people queuing up to pay that money for a Citroen (its the hybrid, even less popular here).

I think that if they drag me over to the showroom, I'll make sure I drive it long enough to my satisfaction.

• Options
    (I think) in the UK if the car is unregistered, untaxed, SORN or whatever then any test drive would have to be on trade plates which covers the tax/number plates/insurance issue. In which case, the salesman would(?) need to be in the car with you. But if it's a "demonstrator" on the road and used by a member of staff they seem to be insured for any driver.
    Some dealers, seem to be very suspicious of requests to take a car away without supervision and whether it's an urban myth or not, I have heard of people stealing new cars on a test having left a low value previously stolen car at the dealers.
    That said, I know some manufacturers have advertised weekend test drives. Audi have offered extended test drives recently. My local Toyota dealer offered to let me take a RAV4 away as well. I've also been on a "drive anything you like" session run by Jaguar at their factory.
    It seems to be the "prestige" dealers that are more prepared to let you do you own thing; particularly if you have a history of doing business with them.
    In short, as you know, the customer is always right so if you feel they are not giving you ample opportunity to ensure the product is right for you in every respect, walk out the door and do your business elsewhere.
    Finally, there are web-based brokers in the UK like broadspeed.com that off-load manufacturers pre-registered but unused surplus stock. (Broadspeed once offered a buy one get one free deal on a Jeep!) I use their quoted prices to squeeze a better discount out of local dealers.
    No doubt someone from the trade will be along any moment to say I'm talking bollocks!

• Options
    If you're thinking of buying a new car from a dealer

Prestige car dealers much more accommodating than others.

Not if the car you're chosing is 'only' £30k.

Plenty of vehicles that cost that 2nd hand and plenty of Euro Crap Renaults, Peugeots and Citroens that cost that new nowadays.

Don't forget they're doing you a favour by turning up at their dealership and asking for a test drive.

Big BMW dealership in Kent that won't even allow you to test drive their vehicles - you have to buy on spec.

• Options
    Prague - I was looking at a new hybrid Lexus the other day and was offered a 24 hour test "drive" - afternoon one day to same time the next. I'm only at the scouting stage so didn't take them up on it but that sounded pretty good to me. Not sure if it is delivered or you have to collect.
  • Options
    Cheers guys

When you think it is for most people the second biggest purchase after a house, you'd think they would at the least be nice and let you drive it thoroughly. Interesting how different the experiences are that you've described.
    Think I will forget about that BMW dealer and instead quote the 24 hour test drive of the Lexus hybrid.
  • Options
    Mate, never, ever buy a new car, if you can afford to throw ten grand away, give it to me. It will keep us going for two years, honestly.
  • Options
    Perry mate, I know iwhat you're getting at ...BUT....

in my case, and on this car I'm getting a fleet discount of 15%, and then I get the VAT of 20% back because I buy it under the company. (my massive company with a headcount of 2:-)) And it won't be leased either, I'll finance it myself and charge the company 8% interest so it'll be a tax free way of paying myself from the company.

If I don't get this one, the other option is a Volvo, and Volvo here are being a bit generous with their 'diplomatic sales' scheme where again you save 25-30% on the list price.

And both of them are hybrids so I will save on fuel bills since of course 90% of my journeys are creeping around the city area.

The current one will be six years old at Christmas, BTW.

So I've insulated myself from the depreciation hit, haven't I? Unless I've missed something I reckon I could sell either car at cost after two years.

What d'yer reckon? Anyone else? I'm genuinely interested.

You listening to the commentary today? I'm not sure when you hear the team news that it'll be good for your condition :-)

• Options
    Guys, not being flash, but don't forget the sheer pleasure of driving a brand new car off the forecourt. Bodywork gleaming, new car smell abounding, looking at the milometer and watching it click over to double figures. Great feeling, if economically a bit questionable.
  • Options
    You make a very good case Mr.H. I think in your case you are right...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Keep the old car.

Put the money into the trust - surely a better way to save tax? :-)
  • Options
    Prague a friend of mine is just heading up a new waterhouse Volvo dealership in Chelmsford and I bet they are keen to get some deals under their belt, I could put you in touch with her if your interested in a comparable quote?
    Let me know
  • Options
    shameless self advertisment :

http://www.redhill-honda.co.uk/

:)
  • Options
    thanks guys, but I can't use the UK market - need left hand drive model. Just wanting to know what custom and practice is.