Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Teams/Fixtures That Don't Inspire

We've done other teams you like and dislike, but what about the ones that leave you cold? The teams that you neither like or dislike, and the fixtures that do nothing for you.

Sorry to say it, but today's visitors Middlesbrough head that category (just above Everton) for me. We seem to have played them an awful lot, but I cant remember any great matches or even great moments. I don't like them especially, but I've no particular reason to dislike them. It used to amuse me when they were the only team in the Premiership without a major trophy to their name, but even that was taken away when they got their hands on the league cup (but I didn't begrudge them - not like when The Spanners got to Wembley, I hated that even if they did roll over in comedy fashion). Even after a three year absence I'm not too bothered and already I am looking forward to Tuesday more as my dislike of Cardiff City will give that fixture an extra edge that just isn't there today.

Comments

• Options
    As soon as I read the title Boro popped into my mind.

Didn't we have something like six games against them over three years that only produced three goals? Or something like that.

I got a non-Charlton mate a ticket to see us play them one year. He fell asleep during the first half. True story that, eh Boom?
  • Options
    yep boro. boring boro. boring boring boring boring boro.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    In about 2002, a bunch of us were in a bar in milan, pleading with the bloke to put Boro v CAFC on instead of something else Sky were beaming over. After promises of drinking his bar dry etc, he gave in and what followed made the Barnsley game the other week look like the 1970 world cup final. I think what summed it up was an English bloke walked in, came over and had a chat for 5 minutes and watching what was going on the screen, bailed out without having a drink.

I think I learnt the Italian for "f*** off back to England" that day.
  • Options
    Drove back from a rockabilly weekender in Camber to attend a game against Boro once. Mrs gave up her season ticket for a Mexican American friend so he could get to see a Premiership game. Nil nil, needless to say. But he still loved every minute of it, so that made it a bit more worthwhile.
  • Options
    Remember putting a very decent boro side to the sword 3-0 in the play-off year - when I started to believe that something special could happen that year.
  • Options
    Operation riverside wasn't it? I think arsenal v man u or some other decent fixture was on, and I walked the streets of Colchester with a mate for ages until I could find a place that showed it (my wife wouldn't let me watch it at home. Don't blame her with hindsight). God it was bad.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Operation riverside wasn't it? I think arsenal v man u or some other decent fixture was on, and I walked the streets of Colchester with a mate for ages until I could find a place that showed it (my wife wouldn't let me watch it at home. Don't blame her with hindsight). God it was bad.

No, this one was more like an operation for piles.
  • Options
    I had the misfortune to witness four boro goals this afternoon. They were all well taken, but still boring. Perhaps it would have been more exciting in Charlton had tried defending any of them.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Whoaa... You married a woman who would not "let" you watch YOUR team on telly in a live FA cup quarter final????
  • Options

McBobbin said:

Whoaa... You married a woman who would not "let" you watch YOUR team on telly in a live FA cup quarter final????
    Tell me about it... though I quite liked the idea of going to the pub with a mate, rather than sitting in my flat listening to her moan about it... In hindsight she had the better idea.

Hope you're on the mend!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I am thanks, but still trying to get my head around this, despite the fact that she was right in hindsight mate. I mean there are lots of chaps on here who married to birds who ain't keen on football, but to have that lack of understanding of her partner????
  • Options
    Burnley, Walsall, Scunthorpe, Tranmere
  • Options
    2 words for me.

Aston Villa.
  • Options

I am thanks, but still trying to get my head around this, despite the fact that she was right in hindsight mate. I mean there are lots of chaps on here who married to birds who ain't keen on football, but to have that lack of understanding of her partner????

Hahah can't quite remember the circumstances as it wasa few years ago but I seem to remember being glad of the opportunity to go to the pub. Had I known nowhere would show it I'm sure I'd've watched it at home. Its never been a case of "me or the footy"!
  • Options
    Wigan.