Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How many countries do you think Britain has invaded?

Comments

• Options
    Cause of shame? You sure?

It makes me feel immensely proud that, in a time when half the world were "at it", we were the best "at it".

I'm on me blower atm, but if I was at me PC right now I'd have to attach a clip of the band of The Royal Marines playing Jerusalem and have a blaaaady good sing along!
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Don't see why we should be ashamed of it, it is probably the only thing that makes me proud to be British is our history.
  • Options

Don't see why we should be ashamed of it, it is probably the only thing that makes me proud to be British is are history.

But not OUR language : - )

• Options
    Quite depressing when you look at us now.
  • Options
    Yeah why should invading other people's lands with at best an arrogant disregard for their way of life, and at worst a willingness to oppress and kill, all for the economic benefits of a small elite at home be a cause of shame? How ridiculous. Rule Brittania!
  • Options

Yeah why should invading other people's lands with at best an arrogant disregard for their way of life, and at worst a willingness to oppress and kill, all for the economic benefits of a small elite at home be a cause of shame? How ridiculous. Rule Brittania!

Get a grip ffs!

• Options

I tend to agree. I feel more pride when we win at the Olympics than I ever do reading about the Raj or the slave trade etc...
  • Options
    This is why we can't get to host the World Cup and why we will never win Eurovision again.

Nobody likes us and we don't care (much).
  • Options

absolutely spot on

• Options
    McBobbin said:

I tend to agree. I feel more pride when we win at the Olympics than I ever do reading about the Raj or the slave trade etc...
    In a time it was widely exceptable to do so! Go to some african countries today and you'll still find slavery!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What was the point in starting the thread @Uboat? And just when we were all getting on.....

; )
  • Options
    we were prawper nawty.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    BIG_ROB said:

It makes me feel immensely proud that, in a time when half the world were "at it", we were the best "at it".

I'm on me blower atm, but if I was at me PC right now I'd have to attach a clip of the band of The Royal Marines playing Jerusalem and have a blaaaady good sing along!

It makes you feel "immensely proud" ?

It's an interesting fact but it doesn't fill me with pride in the slightest, and I don't think that others were "at it" too is a good enough to explain away the misery the empire and it's many associated atrocities caused.
  • Options
    I'm not proud of it, but it's good that we were better at it than the French!
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

This is why we can't get to host the World Cup and why we will never win Eurovision again.

Never a truer word said in jest , we are the Millwall of the world.

• Options
    Saga Lout said:

I agree, let's hope we never get The Olympics, The Commonwealth games or Presidency of the EU
  • Options
    se9addick said:

BIG_ROB said:

It's an interesting fact but it doesn't fill me with pride in the slightest, and I don't think that others were "at it" too is a good enough to explain away the misery the empire and it's many associated atrocities caused.
    Bore off ffs
  • Options

Do you have an up to date British passport ?
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

se9addick said:

BIG_ROB said:

Bore off ffs
    I would argue, Big Rob, that if a tiny island the other side of the world kept invading countries which included yours, and there was a bloke with a massive gun patrolling outside your house, and someone told you to 'bore off' after making a point about it - you'd probably be a bit pis*ed off...?
  • Options
    From an historical perspective, it is arguable that countries ruled by colonial Britain fared somewhat better and progressed substantially faster than those which were not. Many of those now independent have struggled on their own. Not saying it was right, but we were probably best described as somewhat incompetent, self-serving rulers - much preferable to some of the brutal regimes which had their own colonies.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BIG_ROB said:

se9addick said:

BIG_ROB said:

Bore off ffs
    Haha, excellent counter argument.
  • Options
    We should really celebrate it more, educate children more about it otherwise it will be lost in the past. If you read up about it it is amazing how we such a little island once dominated the whole world. I would also like to point most countries were involved in the slave trade.
  • Options
    edited November 2012

BIG_ROB said:

se9addick said:

BIG_ROB said:

Bore off ffs
    I would argue, Big Rob, that if a tiny island the other side of the world kept invading countries which included yours, and there was a bloke with a massive gun patrolling outside your house, and someone told you to 'bore off' after making a point about it - you'd probably be a bit pis*ed off...?

Big "what if" there Neil.

My point is that if we were doing it now ie invading and conquering it would be different, but it was done in a time where anyone with the ability to do it, done it! Invade or be invaded!
  • Options
    se9addick said:

BIG_ROB said:

se9addick said:

BIG_ROB said:

Bore off ffs
    Haha, excellent counter argument.
    Sorry, but your point was boring!
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

BIG_ROB said:

se9addick said:

BIG_ROB said:

Bore off ffs

Big "what if" there Neil.

My point is that if we were doing it now ie invading and conquering it would be different, but it was done in a time where anyone with the ability to do it, done it! Invade or be invaded!

I assume you're kidding? Actually I know you're not. So Afghanistan and Iraq aren't happening?

That 'what if' has been the reality for real people time and again in countless countries, and is the current reality for Afghans and Iraqis right now. That was the point I was making - that you wouldn't enjoy it one bit of you were on the receiving end - but generally people with your views seem incapable of putting yourself in others' shoes. Not a dig at you, just a dig at the whole train of thought...

• Options
    PL54 said:

I don't know what you mean by this.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

From an historical perspective, it is arguable that countries ruled by colonial Britain fared somewhat better and progressed substantially faster than those which were not. Many of those now independent have struggled on their own. Not saying it was right, but we were probably best described as somewhat incompetent, self-serving rulers - much preferable to some of the brutal regimes which had their own colonies.

I agree with a lot of this, it was largely considered a benign empire mainly held together by trade agreements and not invasion, it was also normally self-policing with only 50,000 British troups spread across the whole of the empire. It is interesting that virtually all former countries of the empire continue the link via the comonwealth voluntarily. Also most of our ancestors did not benfit from the empire whilst they were up chimneys, in the mills and the on the farms. As someone of working-class stock I have nothing to feel gulty for even if the middle-class left-wing student bores of today think I should.

• Options

PL54 said:

Assuming you have the miserable pleasure of living in the UK and hate the way The British acted over the years then you should distance yourself from it all.

• Options
    PL54 said:

PL54 said:

Assuming you have the miserable pleasure of living in the UK and hate the way The British acted over the years then you should distance yourself from it all.

What a ridiculous comment.
  • Options

Precisely. For the pure intent of showing how boss we are. Sounds pretty sweet