Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Steve Mackenzie

Each weak on the 'Who ate all the Pies' website, they show a selection of old Panini stickers. This week's features a former player of ours, when he was at West Brom, before Lennie signed him. And I thought Peter Garland was fat :-)

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/lists/145518/the-friday-flashback-20-magnificent-assorted-vintage-football-stickers-vol-9.html

Comments

• Options
    what a player
    remember him scoring one of the goals in a yellow kitted 2-2 at highbury with morts getting the other
  • Options
    That equaliser at Highbury 88/89, great days.

Didnt think he was ever in Garlands league of fatness though, more Nicky Bailey on Saturday.
  • Options
    Just knew oohaah would be first to comment.
  • Options
    How lopsided is that 'tache?
  • Options
    Cracking player though.
  • Options
    didn't he score a decent goal at Everton as well or did I imagine that?, I remember the Highbury one
  • Options
    didn't he also score a screamer at home (selhurst) to Man City
  • Options
    A good player, but a terrible photo. The amazing thing is that he was in his early 20s when the picture was taken, so either he was a real porker at the time or the photographer needs sacking. He looks a lot slimmer in this photo.
  • Options

what a player
    remember him scoring one of the goals in a yellow kitted 2-2 at highbury with morts getting the other

i was there that night, we played well.

• Options
    I think that was my first ever Charlton game. I was actually sat on the wooden benches next to the tunnel at highbury, just behind the benches with Vic Acres (current Arsenal kit man, was manager of the JVC indoor training centre at the time and involved in the U16 coaching).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Terrific player who was once the most expensive teenaged signing before Bowyer took the title.
  • Options
    Remember us signing him and a young Gordon Watson from you lot, he scored twice as we got promoted in 1991.
  • Options

what a player

i was there that night, we played well.

Me too, it was the first time I had ever been to a "big" London Club, remember enjoying the atmosphere walking to the ground from about a mile away and a great match.

• Options
    One of my top five Charlton players. Mr 100%
  • Options
    I remember speaking to Colin Pates some years ago who said..."Steve MacKenzie is the fittest player at the club, he may look fat, but he can run all day long." Classic!
  • Options

I remember speaking to Colin Pates some years ago who said..."Steve MacKenzie is the fittest player at the club, he may look fat, but he can run all day long." Classic!

Clearly the pies diet is much better for endurance than salad!
  • Options
    That photographer must of caught at just the wrong moment with that picture!
    Remember some Full Members/Simod Cup game on a cold winter night at Selhurst. He was over the other side of the pitch and gave away the ball. Someone near me shouted, 'Piss off MacKenzie' which he heard turned around and shouted accross the pitch, F*** off yourself.' Oh those heady Selhurst nights.. As I remember he didn't have a great start with us (overweight?) but came into his own when Colin Walsh was out injured. Never got the best out of them together which must of been Lennnies plan.
  • Options
    different gravy...
  • Options
    Mackenzie's screamer for Man City in the '82 Cup Final replay has always been overshadowed by that Ricky Villa goal. Shame, it was a beaut.
  • Options
    Improved in his last couple of seasons. Goal at highbury only eclipsed by morts volley. my biggest memory was him coming on as sub against Chelsea at selhurst, when we beat them 3-0. Remember him running on the pitch and with his first touch sending the across the pitch and out of play, without any player within 30 yards. Classic
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I remember him giving the ball away easily in the 4-2 home defeat to Southampton in the relegation season and having a little giggle to himself. Put me right off him after that .
  • Options
    Was very good in that 88/89 season, faded badly in the relegation season, scored a cracker at Everton in 1987/88 towards the end of the season, Mickey Bennett crossed it Carlo knocked it down and Mackenzie smacked in a half volley.

I was there with the JR's and we went mental, the point that the goal secured helped keep us up.