Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Clive Dunn (R.I.P.)

2»

Comments

• RIP Clive"Grandad" Dunn......thanks for the memories and laughs.
  • RIP Corporal Jones.
  • One of the first comedy series I got into when I was very little. Cheers Clive.

RIP
  • edited November 2012
    March51 said:

Addickted said:

RIP

So just Pike and Hodges left?

I think the vicar (Frank Williams) is still around. Heard him on the wireless fairly recently.
    RIP Mr. Dunn, thank you for all the laughs.
    I think "Mrs. Fox" is still with us too?
  • March51 said:

Addickted said:

RIP

So just Pike and Hodges left?

I think the vicar (Frank Williams) is still around. Heard him on the wireless fairly recently.
    RIP Mr. Dunn, thank you for all the laughs.
    I think "Mrs. Fox" is still with us too?
    She must be ever so proud that her son made the subs bench last night.
  • Clive Dunn brought a lot of joy into the lives of people one way or the other.

RIP
  • Sorry to change the subject slightly, but this thread has prompted me to say to you youngsters out there, take time to listen to your Grandparents while you can. They have some wonderful stories to tell, particularly about WW2, don't leave it too late.
  • The lost generation mate when they go a breed of man and woman this world will never see the like of again

They made them harder tougher funnier than they do now

I donr know maybe it was ww1 that set the tone for that generation and the way they bought up their kids but between ww1 and ww2 this country and many others made men that were men of steel and women who maintained this country whilst the men fought

I watched a program the other night about great british carrott and watching kids eating a carrott on a stick as an ice lolly and looking happy about it due to rations

Unbelieavable people

• The lost generation mate when they go a breed of man and woman this world will never see the like of again

They made them harder tougher funnier than they do now

I donr know maybe it was ww1 that set the tone for that generation and the way they bought up their kids but between ww1 and ww2 this country and many others made men that were men of steel and women who maintained this country whilst the men fought

I watched a program the other night about great british carrott and watching kids eating a carrott on a stick as an ice lolly and looking happy about it due to rations

Unbelieavable people

Good post.
    I study WW2 History, I've met many many veterans, and my grandfather was a professional soldier from 1925-1951, I researched his army history and produced a book, the stories were unbelievable, he joined up in '25 at 15 years old just so he could have a pair of long trousers, he went to India as a drummer boy and was there for 3 years. I wont go on but suffice to say, he lived more in his then most people would in ten lifetimes. When I was a kid there was still air raid shelters at my school and we use to play in them!! Health and Safety would go mental now.

Sorry to go off topic, but we should just listen to their stories before they disappear.
  • Sponsored links:

• Agree Greenie. My Grandad wrote his memoirs shortly before dying, and I didn't know half the stuff he'd done. I knew he'd served as a Royal Engineer in Burma, but he spent time as a machine gunner, and served in India as well. Wish I'd asked him and my other Grandad more. They didn't like to talk about the war too much though. Saw some horrible things.
  • Trivia fact - the guy who wrote "Grandad" played bass on "Walk on the Wild Side"

Wasn't it Herbie Flowers?

RIP Clive.

• Classic humor, remember watching it with my Dad,

RIP
  • edited November 2012
    McBobbin said:

Agree Greenie. My Grandad wrote his memoirs shortly before dying, and I didn't know half the stuff he'd done. I knew he'd served as a Royal Engineer in Burma, but he spent time as a machine gunner, and served in India as well. Wish I'd asked him and my other Grandad more. They didn't like to talk about the war too much though. Saw some horrible things.

My father fought out in Burma and was in the royal engineers as well, he had a fantastic life and lived it to its full extent, he came from the wrong side of Dartford, but got on. He never really mentioned Burma, but the few things ha did say was horrific.

First day they got out there they where taken to a hospital that was overrun by the japs, and shown crucified nurses and British soldiers that where bayoneted in the beds, as he sai pd that made you grow up. He was involved somehow in the battles of Imphal and Kohima, both where horrendous and anyone interested should read these stories, after the break out from Burma through India he teamed up with British and Aussies they never took a single prisoner the hatred was that great. When he came home he met his son of 31/2 for the first time.

When I was 21 I was not allowed a Japanese watch for birthday present and never allowed a Japanese car. His last trip was back to Burma wargraves to say goodbye to his long lost friends, the old Gerkhas who fought with him walked for 2 days to be with there old comrades, they where all in their 80's. some of his last words to the vicar was restating his hatred of the Japanese race.

As someone said a different generation of men of men and women.

RIP Clive Dunn.
  • RIP Clive - so many classic comedy moments provided by the Dads Army team.
    I don't know why really but whenever I saw his Cpl Jones role, it just reminded me so much of Richard Hearne's Mr Pastry. Anyone remember him?
  • I think many of us have lost a familiar face that brought us lots of enjoyment when growing up. I think many don't really know though, what a genuine nice decent bloke he was. R.I.P. and thank you from the boy in me.
  • cafcfan said:

RIP Clive - so many classic comedy moments provided by the Dads Army team.
    I don't know why really but whenever I saw his Cpl Jones role, it just reminded me so much of Richard Hearne's Mr Pastry. Anyone remember him?

I'm too young

:-)
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2012
    Saw these for sale in Clintons Cards today. Quite fitting really.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A7MCr4-CMAEFwAH.jpg

RIP
  • Re,Granpa comment,I been tracing my family history recently,and there are lots of thing,s I wished I had asked my parents and grandparents.