Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dr Dre Beats

Does anyone own a pair? A lot of hype but worth the money?

Comments

• Options
    I have a pair, very expensive for what they are - sound quality is great but other cheaper alternatives are available.
  • Options
    I've got a pair too. Decent and was expensive when I bought them but they have dropped in price now I think
  • Options
    Looking it to it I have some technics at the moment but the lead is too long to take out and about.
  • Options
    These are predominantly a fashion item.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    you can try them on in hmv woods, quality sound but i wouldnt walk around in public with them on.
  • Options
    Not the most sturdy either, but if you care for them and stick them in their carry case etc., they're great sounding and help if you travel by air regularly. I had to recently mend mine with a touch of super glue.
  • Options
    Perfecto for on the train when you have women nattering the whole journey
  • Options
    90% of products of a similar price are superior, as are many of the slightly cheaper products. Dre's name has added at least £50 to the price
  • Options
    There are loads of vastly superior headphones available at that price point. Anything Bose will blow the Dr Dre plastic fantastic crap out of the water.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    For that sort of price I would expect Dr.Dre to be standing in a room dropping lyrics to me while i'm wearing em lol

Na seriously if you want to spend over £200 then get yourself some audiophile headphones like these Senns.

http://www.sennheiser.co.uk/uk/home_en.nsf/root/private_headphones_audiophile-headphones_009969

These get great reviews on headfi.org, though will need amp to drive them otherwise pointless buying them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Have a pair of Solos. Wouldn't be without them. I'm not sure why it's taken people so long to start caring about sound quality. People put up with the god awful iPod earphones for years, and even Apple must have known the public didn't care because with all the money they were making they never bothered to invest in their sound.
    As far as Beats go though, as a hip hop fan I think they are fantastic, the bass is incredible - I can sit on the train, put a song like Still Dre on, turn it up and it's heaven. I'm not sure I would recommend them to a non hip hop fan though for the same reason I wouldn't go and buy a pair of Lady Gaga's.
  • Options
    Fashion statement. Robbers to steal them!
  • Options
    They are a bit of a con in my view. The fact of the matter is that MP3 sound quality is pretty dire and £200 head phones are not going to change that. I also wonder just how much the good Dr had to do with their design.

I have a mid range set of Studio cans (£50 Audio Tecnicas) and they blow any of the higher priced boutique headphones clean out of the water.

The bottom line are you paying for sound quality or are you trying to be cool?

Which by the way if you are, you can't be. Nobody in the history of the world that has tried to be cool has ever succeeded.

• Options
    Dre has merked the world.
  • Options
    Clever move on his part
  • Options
    It's all he knows
  • Options
    Making money not a bad thing to know.
  • Options
    Exactly
  • Options
    JT said:

Exactly

Go to bed ;)
  • Options
    Bought a copy pair for my daughter in a market in Hua Hin. Small ones (solos)? Cost 99 baht (GBP2). Copies all over the place here. Shows they are more of a fashion item than anything.

I personally have a mid-priced AKG set. Good sound.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Got a pair of dre buds dirt cheap over here, quality is still top n.
  • Options
    Vinnie V. said:

The fact of the matter is that MP3 sound quality is pretty dire a

Indeed. It's strange seeing a pair of cans plugged in to a iPhone. I've got a pair of V-moda remotes which sound fantastic.

• Options
    Who is the good doctor, and who did he beat?
  • Options
    As Gaz said, Senhieser.
    If you're going to spend that much money on earphones buy some proper ones.
  • Options
    Can't go wrong with Sennheiser CX 400-II Precision
  • Options
    They are good but very over priced. The Apple of headphones really. I recently invested in some Shure ear buds for when I'm commuting and some Grado headphones for home. Cost of them combined was less than beats and I'm very happy with them
  • Options
    Can't get my head around the idea of spending so much money on phones to cart around with you. The sound quality can never be great when out and about precisely because you are out and about. You could wrap your head in Rockwool and you'd still never get rid of the background traffic noise and nor, if you've got any sense, would you really want to.

It's a different matter when you're indoors though where you'll get the benefit of the technology. But as Gazza has said, you'd do better to invest in a quality pair of Sennheisers than in 200 quids worth of fashion accessory.
  • Options
    Klipsch X10i or higher end Shure, imo these are the ones to have.
    I've had Sennheiser's, Dennon's and DrDre's, Dr Dre's no better than £50 Senns.
    X10i's are very good.
  • Options
    Vinnie V. said:

The fact of the matter is that MP3 sound quality is pretty dire and £200 head phones are not going to change that.

MP3 properly ripped @320kpbs are pretty good but thats as low as you want to go. FLAC is the best audio format imo but a lot larger in size.
  • Options
    Dre beats are overhyped rubbish....and distorts the bass too much. The company that made them are doing their own thing. As mentioned on here already sennheisers are the way to go. I got sennheiser adidas hd 220 originals and they are great... Cut background noise and play well..£50
    MP3 quality awful.....flac is good but ogg vorbis is the best