Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Carl Jenkinson called up for England squad vs Sweden

Another exCharlton England international? (sold for peanuts)
Wilfried Zaha and Carl Jenkinson get England nod as five pull out

INTERNATIONAL FRIENDLY: SWEDEN V ENGLAND
Venue: Swedbank Arena, Stockholm Date: Wednesday 14 November Kick-off: 19:30 BST
Coverage: Live commentary on BBC Radio 5 live Sport from 19:00 BST & on BBC Sport website

Arsenal defender Carl Jenkinson and Crystal Palace striker Wilfried Zaha have won their first England call-ups after the withdrawal of five players from the squad to play against Sweden.
Tottenham's Tom Huddlestone is also in the squad for Wednesday's friendly.
Wayne Rooney, Theo Walcott, Jonjo Shelvey, Kyle Walker and Aaron Lennon have all been ruled out of the squad.

Jenkinson - who has represented Finland at Under-19 level - has started eight games in the Premier League for Arsenal this season.

Comments

• Options
    How much does that net us £££ ?
  • Options
    Nothing I understand. We was lucky to get what we did as his contract was up.
  • Options
    just got a new 5 yr deal worth £32k @ week at Arsenal if the papers are to be believed too.
  • Options
    Nice one Carl. Good to still have an ex-Addick in there with Jonjo dropping out.
  • Options
    Jonjo dropped out?
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited November 2012

just got a new 5 yr deal worth £32k @ week at Arsenal if the papers are to be believed too.

Truly incredible. He lucked out in a roundabout way with Sagna's injury. I doubt he thought he'd be even close to the first team for a couple of years at least and although he got pelters early on, seems firmly established in the match day 18 now. What a dream for an Arsenal fan.

Good luck to him.
  • Options
    Good for Carl but I can't help thinking that he is nowhere near ready for the international team yet (or ever?). Much as I hate to say it though, I think Zaha is a good shout. He could become a real England star by the time we get to Rio in 2014.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Jonjo dropped out?

He has a thigh injury, which is why he wasn't in Liverpool's 18 yesterday.

• Options
    Good luck to him but ignoring his Charlton connections, personally I think this underlines the current weakness of the England side / squad. Don't think he is anywhere near being a top-class full-back yet. If I was more bothered about England I'd be worried that we're having to break the likes of him through already.
  • Options
    In all fairness we have Walker, Johnson, Richards, Kelly, Smalling, Jones, A. Cole, Bertrand, Gibbs able to play in full back positions with full and/or U21 experience. All but three of those players are currently injured so he has been very much fast-tracked.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Probably so he doesn't choose to play for Iceland.
  • Options

Probably so he doesn't choose to play for Iceland.

... Or Finland. :-)
  • Options
    Glad Zaha is getting a runabout.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

Good for Carl but I can't help thinking that he is nowhere near ready for the international team yet (or ever?). Much as I hate to say it though, I think Zaha is a good shout. He could become a real England star by the time we get to Rio in 2014.

Or Ivory Coast star
  • Options
    Well he's got his cap. Nice one.