Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What laptop?

Anyone know what I'd get for around the £400 mark? Cheers.

Comments

• Options
    Have a look at Morgan Computers, decent selection at reasonable prices.
  • Options
    Surely it should be "Which laptop."

This is a public service announcement on behalf of the English language.
  • Options
    Ha! I did actually have "which", but I changed it for reasons I know not why.....
  • Options
    BDL said:

Have a look at Morgan Computers, decent selection at reasonable prices.

Cheers pal, will have a butchers!
  • Options
    There is a really nice spec and looking (thin) Asus at Currys for 330. Will do a link when possible.
  • Options
    ebuyer are usually at gd prices, worth a look
  • Options
    Stay clear of Acer - he says with white vertical line on his screen -laptop just over a year old!!!
  • Options
    As long as you stick with Intel, have at least 4GB ram, and preferably have a HDD spinning at 7200rpm, you'll have a very capable machine
  • Options
    I just wanna be able to crop me photos for Whose Rack really....

Anyway, looks like Currys is the way forward.

Cheers
  • Options
    Beware though mate you'll have to pay another bullseye to get set-up on windows 8
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Shag said:

Beware though mate you'll have to pay another bullseye to get set-up on windows 8

50 quid for 8 windows don't seem bad?
  • Options
    Go MacBook Pro. I made the switch from windows 6 months ago and I'll never get a windows laptop again.
  • Options

Stay clear of Acer - he says with white vertical line on his screen -laptop just over a year old!!!

Does it not wipe off?
  • Options
    ozaddick said:

Go MacBook Pro. I made the switch from windows 6 months ago and I'll never get a windows laptop again.

For £400?

• Options

I've never had any issues with the two Acers I've previously owned (one was stolen, the other I gave to my Mum and its still working 4 years later!)

• Options
    Acer's are decent.
  • Options

Does it not wipe off?
    Pmsl
  • Options
    Just bought a shiny new Lenovo laptop. 6GB RAM and 750GB hard drive. So pleased with it, it was recommended to be me by the IT technician at work. Cost £400. You can pick one up from Argos or PC World no probs.
  • Options
    Has it got a decent graphics card?
  • Options
    Have a Macbook Pro myself but when buying for my mum last year IT at work recommended Acer or Lenovo. We plumped for an Acer with an i3 processor, 4GB RAM for £350. It's a really fast and smooth, recommended.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2012
    i know naff all rob, but i bought my first ever laptop this year (get me i know) and it too was lenovo which my 'computer mate' said was a good brand and well built laptop for around the same money your quoting, so far so good, not a squeek out of it and all me other 'tech mates' when seen it say for the dosh its a bloody good laptop... sorry if ive blinded you with jargon ;~)
  • Options
    just looked up where i got it from if you wanna have a nose on there (cant do links) but it was... www.saveonlaptops.co.uk
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Cheers fellas, not over till 19th Dec so got time to have a good look.
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

I just wanna be able to crop me photos for Whose Rack really....

Cheers

I'd love to be there when the salesman asks you what you want to use it for and you tell him that!
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Has it got a decent graphics card?

It has shared graphics so no actual graphics card. But the RAM is plenty big enough to support this so shouldn't be any problems. Its not really designed for gaming though.

• Options
    I am just making the laptop vs. tablet decision myself and if I do go laptop then Lenovo gets my vote after reading a LOT of reviews. If you want something bulletproof for reliability/spec that doesn't forego value for money Lenovos look perfect.
  • Options
    Check the gadget show from last Monday, compared 3 laptops around £400 mark. Lenovo won on all tasks.
  • Options
    Not a lot of good to Rob but the PCUK Computer centre in Bellegrove rd Welling is owned by a CAFC supporting family and is good for 2nd hand laptops. I got one for my boy and it's turned out a bargain.
  • Options
    Right! The time has now cone when I'm definitely getting a new lappy. Gonna buy new as its for both mine and the missus' businesses and so want a decent one. Must be good for designing publicity and stuff, letter writing and also internet use all at between 5-600 quid?

Any advice would be appreciated.
  • Options
    From years of experience ASUS followed by Lenovo (The new, old IBM Thinkpad now owned by the Chinese firm that built them) and in a close 3rd Toshiba
    Any Laptop can develop issues but when/if they do a rule of thumb is that the 3 above are the best at fixing.
    Go for an older unit that has Windows 7 (unless you really want windows 8) as you get almost the same spec for two thirds the price.
    Don't get anything under 4gb of RAM but the faster and more of it the better.

I personally steer clear of AMD processors in Laptops as they tend to get hotter faster and a laptop is just that, a machine you use on your lap in front of the TV on the sofa, and that last thing you need is a burnt leg.

Last thing to do is to draw up a list of must haves (i.e. 4gb RAM minimum, price sub £400) and a list of wants (eg. blu ray) and a wish list (eg. USB 3) and then do search for what you want when you find that machine search every price site to get the best deal.