Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

One second . . . . . . . !

Received a summons through the post today from Essex Police.

Particulars of the Offence

Photographic evidence that the driver failed to comply with a red light.

The speed of the vehicle was 24mph in a 30mph limit. The time into red was 1 second!

Offence carries a maximum of £1000 fine and 6 points.

My luck!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    is this a joke that i dont get?
  • Options
    so you went through a red light?

throw away the key! (smiley , smiley, carol smiley)
  • Options
    £1000 fine for jumping a red light by 1 second?

Are they for real?
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    If that was the second that my daughter thought she could use the crossing safely..............

Did you not see the light ahead?
  • Options
    Hard lines, Fella
  • Options
    iainment said:

If that was the second that my daughter thought she could use the crossing safely..............

Im no saint but i agree with this.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Well your daughter would be in the wrong I'm afraid. The green man wouldn't have shown up 1 second after the red light.

I actually failed my test for braking at a red light as it changed right as I got to the light. Afterwords I was told it would have been safer for me to carry on through the light
  • Options

iainment said:

Spot on.

Pay the fine and thank your lucky stars it wasn't a lot worse.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    I agree that it is wrong to jump a light.

£1,000 though? Really?

To be fair, if you were travelling at 24mph, maybe you should have sped up to 30 and made the traffic lights in time
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    its a maximum. it wont be that much, no way.
  • Options
    edited November 2012

Well your daughter would be in the wrong I'm afraid. The green man wouldn't have shown up 1 second after the red light.

I actually failed my test for breaking at a red light as it changed right as I got to the light. Afterwords I was told it would have been safer for me to carry on through the light

agree with this.

I have had to go through a red light when it has just turned. The breaking distance would of made me stop over the line and the guy behind me might of ploughed into the back of my car. 1 second is ludicrous and they are taking the piss. Yet another way for them to make more money and ruin peoples lives.
  • Options
    Although if you were travelling at 24mph, maybe you should have sped up to 30mph and made the lights in time ; )
  • Options
    I think they should fine anyone driving at 24mph in a 30mph zone ;-)
  • Options

I actually failed my test for braking at a red light as it changed right as I got to the light. Afterwords I was told it would have been safer for me to carry on through the light

Surely that's what the amber light is for?
  • Options

iainment said:

Spot on.

Pay the fine and thank your lucky stars it wasn't a lot worse.

I agree x 2 - just be thankful your loss of concentration didn't have consrquences

(Assuming the amber was on for around 3 seconds and you were doing 30 mph you would have travelled for 176 feet from the start of the amber to 1 second into red, which is quite far compared to the highway code thinking+stopping distance of 75 feet @ 30mph)
  • Options
    surely thats why the lights turn amber first?!!!!!...gives the driver, who should be paying attention, plenty of time to slow down as the lights are turning red.
  • Options
    If it went red as you crossed, one second before you finished crossing, that's a bit harsh.

If it went red 1 second before you started to cross, can't really complain.

Sorry to hear though - horrible to get points and a fine.
  • Options

surely thats why the lights turn amber first?!!!!!...gives the driver, who should be paying attention, plenty of time to slow down as the lights are turning red.

Agree. Not really any excuse I'm afraid.
  • Options
    red_murph said:

Agree. Not really any excuse I'm afraid.

Sorry Officer.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Check out which prospective Police & Crime Commissioner has vowed to stop the police persecuting motorists and (if there is such a beast) vote for him/her tomorrow.
  • Options
    From a very young age we are taught traffic lights incorrectly. Below is what they actually mean:

Green = Go
    Amber = Stop if safe to do so
    Red = Don't go (as distinct from stop)
    Red+Amber = Prepare to go

Of course the way lights are treated is typically:

Green = Go
    Amber = speed up to beat the red
    Red = Stop (unless it's just changed, then floor it)
    Red+Amber = set off like it's the start of a grand prix

• Options
    Many years ago, when I was gigging and then starting work at 6am, I fell asleep at the wheel driving home & went thru a red. Taxi driver just swerved to miss me.. Bloody terrifying!
  • Options
    What I got
  • Options

1 second is ludicrous and they are taking the piss. Yet another way for them to make more money and ruin peoples lives.

When do you suggest they enforce the law? 2 seconds after a red light? 5? 20?

@Essex_Al - Travelling at 24mph (10.7 meters/second) your stopping distance is roughly 17 meters or 1.5 seconds. So for you to have gone through the a light that had been red for 1 sec you basically must have ignored it.

• Options
    iainment said:

How quickly does your daughter walk???
  • Options
    she's 11'4''
  • Options
    DRF said:

iainment said:

How quickly does your daughter walk???
    I'd guess less that 10.7 metres per second
  • Options

she's 11'4''

Passes the CL height test. Sign her up
  • Options
    Go back, smash the red light lense and then write to say the t/lights were broken and it wasn't obvious that it had turned to red.