Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Children in need

13»

Comments

• Options
    I think the thing to solve most problems is to significantly cut fuel prices, the fuel price influences everything, food in the supermarkets cost more to deliver, so we are charged more, post prices cost more because of the same reason, shop goods, even online goods. Rail fares have gone up significantly because all road fares have do they can get away with it. Coaches, buses, taxis etc too. The average size family car is costing twice as much to run as it it did 8 years ago. People pay more to go to work, holidays because of air fares are becoming impossible for the average families. Car companies are closing plants everywhere causing massive job losses, small businesses are suffering with the prices going up on all wholesale, even big chains are suffering. People are spending so much on fuel in one way or another there is little left for anything else. Freezing fuel duty isn't the answer they need to slash it, then sit back and watch the economy repair itself.
  • Options
    I think the answer to solving most of the problems is to end the poverty trap. That was we will see more children lifted out of absolute poverty (rather than the poverty figure that charities will like to use which is "relative poverty"
  • Options
    Stig said:

sralan said:

Bankers on £4m. bonuses, footballers on £ 100,000 + per week. People living in poverty. Something has gone bloody wrong somewhere.

That's called private enterprise. If employers want to pay people £100,000, they can and will

That certainly is what it's called, but that doesn't make it right.
    Unless its funded or been bailed out by taxpayers money, nobody has the right to dictate what a company pays its employees, no matter how unfair you or anyone lose thinks it is.

If your company decided you were worth treble your pay and a large annual bonus, would you refuse it on that moral basis?

• Options

so 13 years of a Labour Gov and did what for "child poverty" ? arnt they the party that is SUPPOSED to equal out the wealth of this country and why didnt they do it 13 years IS A LONG TIME IN POLITICS,

2 years of Cameron and they are supposed to get rid of the debt mountain, stop Labours mass immigration policy, end child poverty, turn round Labours NHS PFI balls up, get out of two wars, keep us in or get us out of Europe. If ANY party could actually do one of those in 2 years then they would get my vote ---end of.

As for "poverty" in this country that definition moves about all over the place.

This

Some cannot get over there pure hatred of anything Tory, they are to blame for all our ills, no matter what the evidence or stats, it's a default setting.
  • Options
    ... and others can't get over their hatred of the Labour party.
  • Options
    I despise both !
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

... and others can't get over their hatred of the Labour party.

Don't hate them, just wouldn't vote for them
  • Options
    I wasn't referring to you DA9. ;-)
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

I wasn't referring to you DA9. ;-)

GH obviously :-)

• Options

Finally the event isn't called bad parents in need or glib, easy answers and generalisations to difficult questions in need

It's about Children

It's also not about Barnardos and their mass generalisation of statistics and dig at the current Government, yet not mentioning the previous encumbents 13 years of working for the poorest in our communities.

Everyone on this board has gone without in the past. No washing machine for six months as you can't afford to replace it? Doesn't put you in poverty.

And the educations stats make me laugh - are school dinners different whether you pay for them or not? Do schools do 'value' school dinners and 'M&S' school dinners? I suspect the vast majority of the differences there are about the input of the parents into their childs education rather than poverty per se.

There is child poverty in this country - but it's all relative. No one dying from starvation or lack of clean water, or hypothermia or cureable diseases. Everyone of them receiving free helath care and free education. None of them being terrorised for their religion or political believes or being a minority.

Povert is such an abstract word and certainly cannot be defined by the likes of Barnardos, who have their own agenda.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "Poverty is such an abstract word"

What does that actually mean?

Of course all poverty is relative but just because no children in the UK are as bad off as kids begging on the streets of Bombay (thankfully) that does not mean that we should re-enact some version of the 4 yorkshiremen sketch whenever someone points out the real problems that some children living in the same towns and cities as us have to deal with.

Yes, in some cases it is the parents fault but just why are those parents so bad?

Unless there is at least an attempt to do something the cycle just repeats itself.

Meanwhile the children suffer
  • Options

Meanwhile the children suffer

I don't disagree with that. CiN is a worthy cause, just as NCH and the likes of Demelza. All my donations are to childrens charities both here and abroad.

But not 3.6 million? Where do Barnardos get these figures from?