Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• edited November 2012
    Although this subject has been done to death it is wrong to say Millwall are our biggest rivals , in my opinion. It's Palarse all day long.
    I couldn't care less about Millwall .
  • DRFDRF
    edited November 2012
    Apparently Wimbledon's main rivals are AFC Wimbledon??!! Do they hate themselves or are MK Dons fans confused about their name?

Actually some great stuff in there. The descriptions about how nicknames came about is good. Although they shy away from explaining why Liverpool fans are called bindippers.
  • The nicknames part is hilarious!

Sheffield Weds call Sheffield United "piggies" = Reference to their red and white striped kit.
    Sheffield United also call Wednesday "the pigs" = Reference to their blue and white striped kit “resembling” a butcher’s apron and reference to the folklore that their ground was built on the site of an old piggery

Lots of teams are referred to as "dingles" it seems.

And the best one.....Oxford United's name for Swindon....

"Moonrakers" = Reference to folk tale that the people of Swindon tried to rake the reflection of the moon out of a pond to stop it drowning
  • edited November 2012

Although this subject has been done to death it is wrong to say Millwall are our biggest rivals , in my opinion. It's Palarse all day long.
    I couldn't care less about Millwall .

You may change your mind after next Saturday. Millwall are our rivals without any doubt. The only reason that Palace are "up there" is because we have played them a lot more in the last 25 years & it's never the best idea to start saying how much you hate Millwall :-)

Millwall - Charlton 4 miles ? Palace - Charlton 10 miles ? Yet we slag off Palace for saying that Brighton are their rivals.
  • Research a bit lacking with no reference to "Nigels" or "Stripey Nigels"? I'm sure we arent the only ones who use that

No-one hates us. Sad or a good thing?
  • Nigel's was invented by millwall fans
  • I wasn't claiming it, just saying it is in common useage.
  • When you really think about it, the rivalry and so called "hatred" in football is stupid.

That being said i really hate Millwall & Palace.
  • cafctom said:

The nicknames part is hilarious!

Sheffield Weds call Sheffield United "piggies" = Reference to their red and white striped kit.
    Sheffield United also call Wednesday "the pigs" = Reference to their blue and white striped kit “resembling” a butcher’s apron and reference to the folklore that their ground was built on the site of an old piggery

Lots of teams are referred to as "dingles" it seems.

And the best one.....Oxford United's name for Swindon....

"Moonrakers" = Reference to folk tale that the people of Swindon tried to rake the reflection of the moon out of a pond to stop it drowning

"Moonrakers" that’s bloody genius. lol.
  • Weird rivalry between Wycombe and Colchester...some real oddballs in there...Carlisle and Chesterfield...not exactly just down the road.
  • Sponsored links:

• Indeed, think I saw Plymouth and Burnley in there as a distant rivalry too!
  • TEL said:

Weird rivalry between Wycombe and Colchester...some real oddballs in there...Carlisle and Chesterfield...not exactly just down the road.

Something to do with when they were in the conference together I think.
  • Some good stuff in there but it's definitely a good few years out of date.
  • Nearly 10 years old so would imagine thats why wimbledon arent yet mk.

Would doubt gillingham would put fulham above us now

Gillingham fan who lives down here considers Swindon to be their main rivals.....they have history apparently.

Gillingham fan who lives down here considers Swindon to be their main rivals.....they have history apparently.
    Same with Fulham......I seem to remember something about stabbings.