Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Derby roll out revolutionary ticket system

Comments

• Options
    Think it is a great idea.

Stops supporters using excuses of ticket prices to not go and support their team and means that grounds are likely to have more supporters in them on match day.

Hope it catches on.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Similar systems have been in use in the USA for quite a while
  • Options
    Will work for some and not for others. Wouldnt surprise me if it came in at Charlton but dont imagine Ipswich would!
  • Options
    I've always wondered why we don't do a pick and mix 10 game season ticket for the whole season, like the Jackson 5, but from the start of the season. Would be good for students who are only back in the holidays.
  • Options
    Great in theory.

But then - like the way the train companies do it - greed will take over and the "normal" priced tickets will be considered "cheap" simply because the others are so extortionately expensive.
  • Options
    I think it's a very good idea and I'm surprised it has taken this long to come into English football.

Ross, I do like that idea however I doubt it would be that popular for us at the moment. There isn't much point in doing that as it isn't exactly difficult to get tickets to our games. Would be good if we had electronic turnstiles like other clubs and everyone could just "load" games onto their membership cards, no messing about with getting tickets delivered or picking them up from the ticket office and you could always buy them very last minute and just rock up to the turnstile with your card.
  • Options
    Very true Col. Just an idea for the future I guess.

I agree with the electronic ticket system with cards. However I don't know how much this costs to implement so may be on the minds of people at the club, but not financially beneficial atm. Although cost of postage can't be that cheap.
  • Options
    "We did a couple of experiments where we lowered drastically the price of tickets down to around £10 and we saw a tremendous pick up in sales."

• Options
    Off_it said:

Great in theory.

But then - like the way the train companies do it - greed will take over and the "normal" priced tickets will be considered "cheap" simply because the others are so extortionately expensive.

Disagree, if the prices are still too expensive people just won't go, it's not like the captive audience the train companies have where if you don't drive you really don't have much option.
    Ross said:

Very true Col. Just an idea for the future I guess.

I agree with the electronic ticket system with cards. However I don't know how much this costs to implement so may be on the minds of people at the club, but not financially beneficial atm. Although cost of postage can't be that cheap.

I imagine the initial outlay would be high but ongoing it would probably be cost effective but I would guess it depends on how many people you actually get through the gates anyway which is why you generally only see Prem clubs doing it
  • Options
    Could one of the Millwall fans please come on here and point out that you already have electronic ticketing.
    Thank you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I wonder how it works for away fans?
  • Options
    so is it just a jackson five?
  • Options
    We know that we can fill The Valley if the 10,000 or so available seats (after season tickets/away fans) are sold at £5, whilst we know that we can't fill The Valley at the regular price points.

Thus there is a strong incentive (given the marginal cost of each seat is essentially zero) to find a way to find out what the 'missing' fans are willing to pay - clearly it is somewhere between £5 and £15/£20/£25. The Derby model helps to find this out.

Just offering every spare seat for £5 is administratively easy but it is foregoing valuable income (because many thousands of the fans would have been willing to pay more, often much more) - hence it only makes sense on an occasional basis.

The part of the article I don't agree with is the way that prices have to start below what a season ticket holder has paid - I see no reason why 23 match-by-match tickets combined (let alone for a single match) couldn't be cheaper than a season ticket. A season ticket holder is also paying for convenience and certainty, both of which have value.

Speaking of season tickets, I've been banging the table about the fact that there are not enough season ticket price points (particularly at the higher levels) and thus income is being foregone from wealthier fans who would be willing to pay more, if only they were given the chance!
  • Options
    there are definitely some who won't or can't attend at current prices and plenty of empty seats..