Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

seemed a high number today especially considering the rain and about 800 away fans.

I know that there are often school groups and other cheap or comp tickets but did see them that more than normal in the ground.

Comments

• Options
    Can only assume more than usual season ticket holders went missing , Henry, possibly some due to adverse weather conditions where they live ?
  • Options
    It did look a little more than usual. Hope any newcomers enjoyed it.
  • Options
    Frimpong motivated
  • Options

Can only assume more than usual season ticket holders went missing , Henry, possibly some due to adverse weather conditions where they live ?

But that wouldn't account for the gate being so high.

The STs are counted every game.

• Options
    1,085 Huddersfield, probably over 3,000 comps.
  • Options
    3 wins on the bounce has clearly had an effect.
  • Options
    Good crowd in that weather - from where I'm sat it did look fuller than normal, pity we didn't rip em apart and put on a show
  • Options
    There's the perfect pair - £30 for udders plus posh. That would have brought a few more yesterday & on Tuesday.
  • Options
    My mate got given two free tickets but found out late on that he couldn't go, and didn't manage to give them away.

So it was actually only 20,010.
  • Options
    What number home game was it, I must have nearly all of the tickets still in my ST.. missing so many work is a joke
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MattD said:

What number home game was it, I must have nearly all of the tickets still in my ST.. missing so many work is a joke

It was match 9 yesterday fella.
  • Options
    People next to me were absent, so that's another 2 off the list if you are trying to get an accurate figure. :-)
  • Options
    Was never 20k
  • Options
    My mate and his dad were in Wales for the rugby another two off
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    During 2008/09 attendances were inflated on board level instructions to impress potential investors. This is done by increasing the number of comps recorded to reach 20,000. I believe the same may have happened yesterday.
  • Options
    Oh dear. Here we go again.
  • Options
    It's funny what airman says because that was the first thing I thought of when I saw the attendance yesterday
  • Options
    Never seen a problem with basing attendances on tickets sold rather than through-the-turnstile as the club gets the revenue. Comps are a different matter, particularly if those given free tickets don't turn up! No different to printing tickets for all unsold seats, giving them away in Woolwich market on Saturday lunctime and announcing the attendance as 27,000!!!
  • Options
    edited November 2012

Never seen a problem with basing attendances on tickets sold rather than through-the-turnstile as the club gets the revenue. Comps are a different matter, particularly if those given free tickets don't turn up! No different to printing tickets for all unsold seats, giving them away in Woolwich market on Saturday lunctime and announcing the attendance as 27,000!!!

I agree, unfortunately "tickets issued" is wide open to such abuse, plus the evidence suggests the actual usage of comps is under 50 per cent when they are issued to the community trust, etc. I doubt if there was 15,000 in the ground yesterday at the very most. We also have very large numbers of season ticket holders who don't attend consistently. Given the weather yesterday I'd have expect 2,000 of them to be missing, maybe more.
  • Options

Good crowd in that weather - from where I'm sat it did look fuller than normal, pity we didn't rip em apart and put on a show

Nice Charlton player pun there......

• Sponsored links:

• Options

It's funny what airman says because that was the first thing I thought of when I saw the attendance yesterday

It's also "funny" that he wasn't shouting about it back in 2008/9. I wonder why?

Seriously, not happy with this constant sniping at the club which everyone takes as gospel. The fella was binned after all, so it wouldn't be a massive leap to think he had a grudge.

Just my opinion of course. I'm not one of those who pretends to know more than I do - which is f*ck all (like most on here).

• Options

During 2008/09 attendances were inflated on board level instructions to impress potential investors. This is done by increasing the number of comps recorded to reach 20,000. I believe the same may have happened yesterday.

That's actually quite a serious accusation in my view.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

It's also "funny" that he wasn't shouting about it back in 2008/9. I wonder why?

Seriously, not happy with this constant sniping at the club which everyone takes as gospel. The fella was binned after all, so it wouldn't be a massive leap to think he had a grudge.

Just my opinion of course. I'm not one of those who pretends to know more than I do - which is f*ck all (like most on here).

This.

• Options
    cafctom said:

Off_it said:

This.

Agree, stinks of sour grapes to me, but of course just my opinion.

• Options
    If there were 20k there than there were more home fans present that at the palace game, not a chance.
  • Options
    So, we can't trust the current board to even declare the right crowd now.

But, so it appears, we couldn't trust the previous board to declare the right crowd either - only we didn't know that at the time.

Priceless.

Nothing to see here - move on.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

So, we can't trust the current board to even declare the right crowd now.

But, so it appears, we couldn't trust the previous board to declare the right crowd either - only we didn't know that at the time.

Priceless.

Nothing to see here - move on.

Au contraire. I think there could very well be an awful lot to see.

• Options
    Where is the sniping ? It's common knowledge to all of us that for years our attendances have been exaggerated by the use of comps.

Nothing wrong with that, though it means the announced attendance a bit of a farce. I'd happy fill the ground with kiddie comps every game to use up empty seats.

Can understand including paid ticket holding no shows in the attendance, including non attending freebies is stretching it a bit though.

Interestingly, my family tried to by an extra ticket during the week around them, but found there were none available, which seemed odd as its.normally a sparcely populated area. Turned up yesterday and there was hardly anyone around them.
  • Options
    More importantly, how is oohaah going to factor this into his home/away ratio spreadsheet.
  • Options
    Trouble is you accuse Airman of having a grudge and therefore being biased but then defend your own stance with the always lame "it's my opinion". So you can have an opinion but if Airman or someone else has a different view they "have a grudge" or are "biased"

Off-it, you also said "everyone takes (what AB says) as gospel" when quite clearly you and many others don't., even on this thread. Why do you have to pretend that you are some lone voice in the wilderness who is the only one who can see the truth?

Even people who sympathise with Airman being sacked and recognised what he has done for the Club, including me, disagree with him on some issues and some of his statements and have said so on here.

Many others just don't buy any of his views on the the way the club is run and have constantly said so.

Seems do be a big element of groupthink here. You take the stance that the board are great and so if there is any suggestion that they are less than perfect or the situation is not ideal not just that view but the person saying it must be undermined so what they say can be ignored.

And before you wade into me I'll state my view. Again.

Which is based mainly on what I have read on here and not on "inside" info.

1. I think everything was going well until around March at which time Kevin Cash decided to pull his financial feed to the Club. Reasons unknown.

That lead to a summer of uncertainty for the directors and Powell leading to little spending on new players, certainly less than the previous summer.

It also meant that Varney and Kavanagh fell out with Slater and Jimenez. PV and SK left on bad terms (evidenced by minimal mention of their departures and the lack of thanks).

2. With the departure of KC, Jimenez became the main man as proved by his increased shareholder as stated on the OS.

3. TJ has an uneasy relationship with Powell which even in public Powell has said he "has to manage" but he hasn't sacked Powell as some said he would despite having plenty of opportunities both in the season before last and this season after defeats to Watford and when we were in the bottom three for example. So in my view if he wasn't going to sack him then he won't sack him now or in the near future.

4. While the lost of Cash's money was a blow Jimenez has kept on pumping money which is greatly to his credit. We didn't flash the cash but we didn't sell our major assets either. Then again we didn't buy anyone but Wilson.

5. In recent weeks we have seen three premiership players come in on loan. Now seabourne and Hulse weren't even in their teams squads so may well have come cheap or even free. Frimpong? Would be on big wages by our standards but we don't know how much of them we are paying.

6. So the worst case scenarios of Seth Plum and Airman Brown have not come to pass. Which I didn't think they would.

Or at least they've not come to pass YET.

7. So where are we know?

Not in admin or with Powell sacked but not challenging either.

The board are communicating even less than last season. Slater has gone silent, TJ always was and the new vice chairman Prothero is almost invisable. So what? Does that really matter? Yes, it does but that's is not the key issue now.

8. So the what is the key issue?

For me it is that TJ is still putting money in but where is it coming from?

My gut feeling is that he has found, or is very confident that he will soon find, other backers to fill the gap left by Kevin Cash.

Will we every find out if that is the case? most likely not just as we never had it confirmed that Cash was the true owner.

Personally, I am unhappy with the way people like Kav where forced out, unhappy with the lack of communication and honesty with fans but I'm not worrying that the administrators will be calling at SE7 any time soon.

With luck Chris will keep us improving and we can dream of the play-offs this season.

Long term the ownership and finance needs to be sorted out, if it hasn't been already.