Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

10 Men vs 12.5

Just got in and well, what can I say apart from this was a day I was proud to be a Huddersfield Town fan and proud of our Players to a Man. Despite the clear numerical disadvantage (the referee and linesman to our left, the little Ginger one) were both an absolute and total disgrace. What should have been a good game of football was ruined by a shambolic refereeing decision against us and I think even you Guys will agree we may well have got three points today with a fair ref and his gimp on our left was also appalling.

Anyway, we dug deep and could even have won it at the end if only Hammill had got on the end of the low cross from our right.

I thought you looked dangerous on the break, although to be fair, threatened very little (as did we after the`sending-off`but what do you expect with 10 men). Fuller would be a good player if he tried to stay vertical and not go to ground as easy.

Got to say though my thoughts on Charlton as a club and your fans has not changed, a proper Club with proper fans and have enjoyed banter with your fans today.

Thanks to all who posted advice re pubs, we had a great time round Borough Market before the game and Greenwich after it. One pub we did go to that was not mentioned was I think it was called the Gypsy Moth, next to the Cutty Sark. superb!.

Be interested to know how our singing compared with other away fans, it sounded loud from where I was stood!.

All the best for the rest of the season and thanks for being great hosts for another thoroughly enjoyable away day at the Valley.

Comments

• Options
    nice post, enjoyed game, thanks a lot mate
  • Options
    Haven't seem a replay of the sending off yet but thought it looked harsh from where we were . So annoying for both sets of fans when the officials ruin the game like that.
  • Options
    Great u enjoyed ur day
    Ur right the ref ruined it should have been a good game of football instead of us trying to break down ur 10 men! U stuck in there rode the storm and fought back at the end and deserved ur point to take home
    See you next time
  • Options
    Your team lucky to be only one man, they where obviusly under orders to go in hard at start of game, so put some very wild tackles in. Down to 10men they played proper football, but got a sympathy penalty from the ref, and given far to many frre kicks in the second half.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Got no idea what you are talking about mate. Two footed tackle, you go, simple as ;-)...The ref spent the whole second half trying to make up for it, highlighted when a cleanly won header lead to a free kick to you, seconds later exactly the same thing the other way around and he waves play on. We all see it form our point of view. I thought we had all the possession even before the sending off, did not creat enough chances from it though. If Hulse had buried the easy header a few minutes before the pen it would have been curtains for The Terriers.
  • Options
    I think the best opportunity was Fullers when he decided to be greedy and take on the shot himself when the better option was to play it to Hulse who was standing alone.
  • Options
    First of all thanks for the responses.

We all know that football is a game of opinions and by `default` we supporters will always veer to seeing things from the perspective that suits the Team one supports.

I have to say that Southern`s challenge was not two-footed. Two committed players got to the ball at the same time, it`s a contact sport FFS (or used to be). I believe Grayson is appealing the decision and that is good enough for me.

In addition, what part of a high studs showing tackle that connects with a Players chest not a penalty!!!???. Going by the letter of the law, that is a red card.

Would have happily taken a point before the kick-off and think we deserved it in the circumstances. You could though have got a second which would of course have killed it.
  • Options
    To be fair, the referee at the galpharm last year literally handed you a win so I thought this guy was trying to even it out until he gave the penalty...
  • Options
    Your lot were giving the Lino stick for giving a clear free kick in the first half when your player never got anywhere near the ball. The ref booked your man, which I thought was a bit harsh, but what else could the Lino do?

The ref then evened it up less than five minutes later by booking our fella when he clearly got the ball.

Thought the sending off was harsh on first viewing, but not so sure having seen it again on tv - it was late and the way he flew in could be seen as reckless. Seen them given before so not entirely surprised.

And then you talk about "letter of the law" for the penalty and want our bloke sent off?

Get the blinkers off sunshine and get that bag of McCains off your shoulders.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Your lot were giving the Lino stick for giving a clear free kick in the first half when your player never got anywhere near the ball. The ref booked your man, which I thought was a bit harsh, but what else could the Lino do?

The ref then evened it up less than five minutes later by booking our fella when he clearly got the ball.

Thought the sending off was harsh on first viewing, but not so sure having seen it again on tv - it was late and the way he flew in could be seen as reckless. Seen them given before so not entirely surprised.

And then you talk about "letter of the law" for the penalty and want our bloke sent off?

Get the blinkers off sunshine and get that bag of McCains off your shoulders.

........If you are going to quote me then please may I ask that you quote me correctly. I said that a studs showing chest-high tackle is by the letter of the law a red card which it is. I did not say I wanted the man sent-off (I didn`t actually, the penalty was good enough for me).

Referees have a difficult job and as you say on first viewing it looked harsh so what does the referee base his decision on.......first viewing?. I rest my case. It was a shocking decision and the fact that watching it on TV is inconclusive in your view only amplifies how bad a decision it was. If you are sending a player off after 30 minutes of a match on a greasy surface, you have to be 100% sure and he cant have been.

No chips on my shoulder and we both know what the reaction of yourself and the Valley faithful would have been had the decision gone the other way!.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    no one crys more about refs than Charlton fans FACT
  • Options
    Im glad you enjoyed your day mate. All the best.
  • Options
    Glad I don't have to watch your style of football everyweek. You tried to bully us & got away with it, but just my honest opinion.
  • Options
    If you visit the post match thread at the top you will see that most of us agreed it wasn't a sending off.

But it wasn't all one way traffic either. The lino you didn't rate missed two clear handballs and Pritch also got harshly booked too. He could also easily have given a second yellow to Clayton for his goal celebrations too.

Glad you enjoyed the day btw.
  • Options
    You rest your case? The ref is only 10 yards away, not 50 upwards like most of the away fans so his first viewing is a hell of a lot better than anyone else's in the ground. Having seen the reply, it's a two footed challenge, could say he was using excessive force, no arguments as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options

Referees have a difficult job and as you say on first viewing it looked harsh so what does the referee base his decision on.......first viewing?. I rest my case. It was a shocking decision and the fact that watching it on TV is inconclusive in your view only amplifies how bad a decision it was. If you are sending a player off after 30 minutes of a match on a greasy surface, you have to be 100% sure and he cant have been.

Eh? You make no sense. I'm not the ref. I didn't have the same view as him. From my original viewpoint - many metres away from the incident and not looking at it from the same angle as the ref - it looked harsh. The ref was closer and was at a different angle. Having seen it again on the TV - from another angle (and clearer than my original view) - I can see how it may have looked reckless.

The ref was sure it was so sent him off.

Not sure how that makes your case. Perhaps you have different rules up north.
  • Options
    Guess both sets of fans are always going to see it differently. Thought the red was justified from what I saw, didn't see the penalty incident very clearly but in contrast more than once some of the Huddersfield players literally manhandled Solly, Stephens and Hulse and didn't even get called for a foul.

That said, played very well with ten men, probably earned a point tbf.
  • Options
    Thanks again for the sentiment of many of the posts on here, hopefully we will both be in the same division next year as this is my favorite London away day. I like Charlton Athletic and the fans, I don`t like refereeing decisions that greatly impact my enjoyment of a game I have paid good money and travelled over 200 miles to!.

Just watched and watched the TV coverage over and over again and Southern goes in one-footed, it was never, ever a sending-off and I think the red card will be rescinded. The challenge by I think it was Solly is also clearly studs showing and chest-high so there was no `evening-up` going on with the penalty decision. The ref gave it because he had no option (had it been 50/50 I doubt we would have got it). It was a stonewaller.

Re our style of play, we try and play football and knock the ball about a bit but yes we are strong in the tackle. Anybody that does not want to watch that week in, week out. I recommend netball.
  • Options
    We woz robbed.

Yawn.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Think Southerns challenge warranted a yellow. End of.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't think you can say it was 10 v 12.5. From where I was I thought it was a red but I haven't seen a replay since. I also thought that the ref spent the last half hour or so trying to give you a way to get back into the game.
    Thought the officials were poor for both teams though.

I think that we were edging it before you went down to 11 men. It's a well known fact by charlton fans that we play worse against 10 mean. Lost to Watford 2-1 when they had 10 men. Beat Burnley 1-0 but didn't deserve to, when they had ten men.

Hudds look a good team, knock it around nicely and will probably do well this season.
  • Options
    Leeds based thanks for you posts here. it had been a gritty and interesting game until the sending off and after that the gams wasn't as good. I think you should be proud of your team because you hung on in there and got what was probably a deserved point.
    As for the singing, the accoustics in your stand amplify your efforts well but for us at the other end the sound tends to disappear into the sky before away fans hear us.
    Best wishes.
  • Options

Thanks again for the sentiment of many of the posts on here, hopefully we will both be in the same division next year as this is my favorite London away day. I like Charlton Athletic and the fans, I don`t like refereeing decisions that greatly impact my enjoyment of a game I have paid good money and travelled over 200 miles to!.

Just watched and watched the TV coverage over and over again and Southern goes in one-footed, it was never, ever a sending-off and I think the red card will be rescinded. The challenge by I think it was Solly is also clearly studs showing and chest-high so there was no `evening-up` going on with the penalty decision. The ref gave it because he had no option (had it been 50/50 I doubt we would have got it). It was a stonewaller.

Re our style of play, we try and play football and knock the ball about a bit but yes we are strong in the tackle. Anybody that does not want to watch that week in, week out. I recommend netball.

Glad you can recommend netball, never seen it myself, but good to know what really goes on up north. By the way didn't think you passed the ball particularly well thought you lumped it well though!
  • Options
    It was a lumpy game to be fair - very scrappy.
  • Options
    The ref made poor decisions both ways. I thought Hudderfield were decent and will stay up with ease this season, perhaps the highest finish of the three promoted teams. Jordan who?
  • Options
    I thought it was a red from where I was sitting.. But when I saw it back it was just a yellow. That also makes me think Solly should've got a yellow too.

I'll take the point. 10 from 12 is pretty good.
  • Options
    Sorry but don't know how you can say that wasn't a red. Watch the football league show around 37 minutes in. He absolutely flies into Morrison with both feet off the ground and is so late against a player who hasn't even got particularly quick feet. Apart from anything else, the officials have a responsiblity to punish those sort of tackles with red cards otherwise it gives other players license to be so wreckless without fear of repercussions.
  • Options
    Reminded me of last season at the Galpharm when I think the ref was very heavily in Huddersfield's favour. Showed Russell a straight red but let constant thuggery from the Town players slide. We were the better team with ten men and were unlucky not to snatch a draw like you did yesterday.

Swings, roundabouts.
  • Options
    "We only get sh!t refs" must be one of the most cringeworthy chants in the game.
  • Options
    Glad you enjoyed your day. Had some good banter with some town fans, nice bunch