Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Derelict London

2»

Comments

• Options
    The black and white photo taken from Cox Mount has got me old house in it! (Use to be opposite The Victoria at 648 Woolwich Road)
  • Options
    .......where that bench is must be where me front room once was!
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Quality, nice one @Oakster pal!
  • Options
    I might be being thick - where was the actual pitch ?
  • Options
    its to the right of the pylon. Didnt have Paddy Powell marking out the pitch in them days so was a bit abstract. Mind you we always did wellplaying down the hill in the second half.
  • Options
    What a brilliant update, I'd never even heard of some of the lost sports grounds like Charlton stadium and Woolwich stadium
  • Options
    se9addick said:

I might be being thick - where was the actual pitch ?

The old photo, is from Cox Mount, looking out over the Thames where the barrier now stand. The school to the right is what use to call Woolwich College.
  • Options

Loved the mention of Charlton Dog Track worked there as a teenager in the mid sixties to boost up my apprentice wages, at Harveys on the Woolwich Road.

The Woolwich Road area was full of big employers those days, Harveys, Johnson & Phillips, Sykes Stones Foundries and Siemens. Happy days!

British Ropes - Bridon Sports?
    Ah Bridon Sports I refereed them many times in their Spartan League days up at the Meridian.
  • Options
    Another employer was Duresco paints thêir factory was where the Thames barrier is now. My grand father Dick Churchill worked there for over 50 years as a colour matcher in them days a job was for life..I believe that Stones Foundry made the propellers for the great ocean liners the queen Mary and Elizabeth.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @fossdeneboy, when were you there pal? I went from 88 onwards.
  • Options

Loved the mention of Charlton Dog Track worked there as a teenager in the mid sixties to boost up my apprentice wages, at Harveys on the Woolwich Road.

The Woolwich Road area was full of big employers those days, Harveys, Johnson & Phillips, Sykes Stones Foundries and Siemens. Happy days!

British Ropes - Bridon Sports?
    Ah Bridon Sports I refereed them many times in their Spartan League days up at the Meridian.
    Bridon Sports still play at the Meridian.

• Options
    @BIG BOB I think I must be a lot older than you as I left fossedene seniors in 1958 when we moved to Essex.
  • Options

@BIG BOB I think I must be a lot older than you as I left fossedene seniors in 1958 when we moved to Essex.

Lol yeah, I weren't even thought of then!