Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hamer is he good enough?

edited November 2012 in General Charlton
my view is very unsure about weather he is good enough, yes fairly decent shotstopper but the guy cant CATCH!! (big goalkeeper trait) also his distribution is very frustrating does not get it out quick enough. his fault for the hudders goal yesterday league 1 we could get away with it, not this league

who else agrees or who doesent just curious if its just me, maybe give the button kid ago just got horrible feeling he could cost dearly against millwall

J block supporter

Comments

• Options
    You're more of a twat than me
  • Options
    He is are first team goalie who would take his place? We should get behind him and help him to develop into a better goalie
  • Options
    He wears the kit that Nike have given him?!

Yes he (as well as Fuller, Hulse, etc.) cost us 2 points on Saturday, but he's won us more points than he's lost this season. He will be our keeper for the foreseeable future and can only improve.
  • Options

so what your opinion then mate or just gonna call me something and not back it up
  • Options

He is are first team goalie who would take his place? We should get behind him and help him to develop into a better goalie

true i know this, but hes very wobbly
  • Options

He wears the kit that Nike have given him?!

Yes he (as well as Fuller, Hulse, etc.) cost us 2 points on Saturday, but he's won us more points than he's lost this season. He will be our keeper for the foreseeable future and can only improve.

fair play, just worried millwal coming up, well see, never really rated him always very clumsey, and very slow with getting rid of ball, needs to improve on that
  • Options
    I don't agree with the cant catch line. His catching and punching is greatly improved this season, yesterday was pretty much the first flap I can remember this season.

He even put in quite a few good catches from crosses/corners yesterday.
  • Options
    Yeah he is still young, when he got sent off at Orient last year and Sullivan came on the difference between the two was big, Hamer has got better over time.
  • Options
    flynners said:

so what your opinion then mate or just gonna call me something and not back it up
    How many points has he won us then? 1 against Hull and 3 against Burnley, is that not his job? He's won us more than he's dropped so stop moaning.
  • Options

I don't agree with the cant catch line. His catching and punching is greatly improved this season, yesterday was pretty much the first flap I can remember this season.

He even put in quite a few good catches from crosses/corners yesterday.

first of many well see, just voicing my opinion
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    personally never confident when he comes for the ball, same when cort has it at his feet, nervous aint the word.
  • Options
    First of many? Based on what? he's flapped at one in 18 games, so over a course of a season he will flap 3 times in total.

He is a proper character, his distribution is great, whether it's quick or not, he hits his target 19 times out of 20, he is a decent shot stopper, but his positioning in goal is the best factor in my eyes, last season he rarely needed to dive as he was in a good enough position to just step across, this season he is diving a bit more but again he gets to more than many of our keepers in recent history. The guy is quality and will be gracing Prem pitches soon enough
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

First of many? Based on what? he's flapped at one in 18 games, so over a course of a season he will flap 3 times in total.

He is a proper character, his distribution is great, whether it's quick or not, he hits his target 19 times out of 20, he is a decent shot stopper, but his positioning in goal is the best factor in my eyes, last season he rarely needed to dive as he was in a good enough position to just step across, this season he is diving a bit more but again he gets to more than many of our keepers in recent history. The guy is quality and will be gracing Prem pitches soon enough

lots of hamer lovers i see, i hope your right with how many flaps he will make really do always get nervous when he goes for the ball and whenever he touches ball outside the box
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    To be fair one flap all season is generous, I can still see his waft at the City Ground playing in my head now. And his edge of the box lack of awareness is now very apparent.

However, a goalkeeper always has more on his plate and more focus on him than any other player. Fuller for example (who I think is class and not 100% fit again yet incidentally) has missed 3 sitters in 2 matches, including on a 4 on 2 counter-attack.
  • Options
    Good enough IMHO
  • Options
    He seems a better keeper away from home than at The Valley .
    As for the original question , the answer in an obvious yes.
  • Options
    He has improved so much this season in coming out and claiming balls in the air. He missed that one yesterday but everyone makes mistakes.

His distribution is brilliant when he uses it. He needs players out wide or up top to make runs otherwise there is no point him knocking it long only for the oppo to win it back.
  • Options
    lots of hamer fans, obvs while hes in goal ill sing the songs etc, but just worried he will cost us dear
  • Options
    flynners said:

lots of hamer fans, obvs while hes in goal ill sing the songs etc, but just worried he will cost us dear

Haven't you got anything more important to worry about? He's a good keeper . Leave it at that.
  • Options
    Not convinced by him last season, despite the obvious club achievements but following his eye treatment he seems to have gained confidence and poise this season. Would love to see him put under pressure by Button, but at this pint in time u would say he is a good championship level keeper
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yep
  • Options
    flynners said:

Question: what would worry you more against Millwall, Hamer starting and playing his usual high standard but with the small possibility of flap at some point? Or a different keeper with no 1st team experience playing for Charlton with all eyes on him under immense pressure?
  • Options
    Good enough for this league definitely.
  • Options
    will only get better
  • Options

flynners said:

Question: what would worry you more against Millwall, Hamer starting and playing his usual high standard but with the small possibility of flap at some point? Or a different keeper with no 1st team experience playing for Charlton with all eyes on him under immense pressure?
    this
  • Options
    Happy enough with Hamers progress. Notable improvements in all areas since he's been at the club due to regular 1st team action. Yeah, there are times when he'll f**k up, if he didn't he'd be playing for a much bigger club than us.

As for his distribution, I think he's pretty damn good at it. Yes there are times when I (and others) think he should have released it earlier, but do we know what instructions he's been given by the gaffer? no we don't.

Is he our best option in goal? I don't know as I've yet to see Button play for us, but Powell obviously thinks he is..............

P.S I do agree about feeling nervous when Cort has the ball at his feet though. The term "hot potato" springs to mind. ;-)
  • Options
    Flapped at one and made quite a few decent takes saturday, has improved a fair bit since last season in my opinion
  • Options
    Not this again...
  • Options
    He catches nearly every cross that comes his way?! Obviously he won't catch every single one but I'd say he catches at least 90% of them
  • Options
    I like Hamer a lot - getting better and better