Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Production Line - Who Is Next ?

Apart from picking up bits and pieces from this forum I am not really aware of the potential and ability of our youth players. I know that many of you do take an interest so I was wondering who I can expect to see next making a breakthrough and the reasons that you think they will.

Comments

• Options
    Should be Azeez, he is running things at under 21 level and his first loan is to a league club. I wouldn't be surprised to see him make half a dozen appearances by the end of the season and then get snapped up by a Prem team a la Jenkinson
  • Options
    1 - 0 to Azeez thanks.
  • Options
    Not many make it to the first team .. at least not at the Valley
  • Options
    George Boyd??
  • Options
    Seriously though, should be Azeez. He seems to have a fair bit about him, as well as a nose for goals.

There do seem to be a good crop coming through & I know a couple of the lads on here, who get over to Sparrows Lane, are very complimentary. I'm hoping that the guidance of Paul Hart & his team will see a few more making it (first time round) than in recent years!
  • Options
    Azeez and fox IMO

Azeez first

Then fox

Then silva
  • Options
    Gomez playing for England u16's on Sky tomorrow evening.
  • Options
    Yeh gomez being tracked by prem clubs so could he go before hes 18 a bit like mcginty, hes meant to be one of the best talents to ever come out of charlton, better than mcginty, and jenkinson in terms of quality
  • Options

Gomez playing for England u16's on Sky tomorrow evening.

^^^^^^ This lad is the Dobermans undercarriage

Azeez likely to be the next one but Cousins still with us so would expect to see him making the step up at the end of the season maybe.

• Options
    Bump.

Would need results for us to go very badly and very well for others for us to get dragged back into the doo doo I think. Get another couple of points on the board and I wonder would it be worth or even advisable to bring a couple of our youngsters into battle. Would give the new boys a real boost to take into the summer and give CP something to think about. Who though ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Azeez deserves a chance.
  • Options
    We might see a couple more added to the bench, but I think'll they'll want to finish as high up the league as possible, so doubt they'll be too many changes to the first XI. Azeez might get a couple of sub appearances.
  • Options
    Did anyone mention Harriott?
  • Options
    edited April 2013

It might be me being pedantic but I think the thread refers to debuts and Callum made his a couple of years back now but dropped out of the picture until recently.
  • Options
    Next season I expect Nick Pope to replace Button on the bench. Michael Smith could also feature.
  • Options

Next season I expect Nick Pope to replace Button on the bench. Michael Smith could also feature.

no way, we need a better second choice than Pope and Button is a great No2. Pope still needs to prove himself, a loan at a league 2 club a la Elliott would be good for him and us.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    for me there is nothing better than seeing players come through the ranks, sure big signings are exciting but to see lads come into the side is blinding, sign of a really healthy club to keep drip feeding players in through the system.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

It might be me being pedantic but I think the thread refers to debuts and Callum made his a couple of years back now but dropped out of the picture until recently.
    No point me saying Solly then?
  • Options
    Revived this thread to see what those lifers now think. From reading the above it seems that Swisdom aside, the emergence right now of Jordan Cousins has surprised a few and we know that can also be said for Joe Pigott as he doesn't feature above at all.

Who's going to be hammering down SCP's door come the closing stages of this season ?
  • Options
    The next players in the academy who will be ready in the next year are Poyet and Muldoon. Always thought that Jordan Cousins would make it, but he had a time when he stagnated a bit for the U18s. Whoever converted him to a midfield player was spot on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If Smith keeps doing it at the Wombles might see he come back Christmas, back up to Kerms as target man.
  • Options
    I have yet to miss a KSC game, which usually involves mainly our academy players.

Three stand out for me. Poyet stands out for me. Can tackle, pick a pass, and sets a good tempo. The one problem is that he plays in the same role as Jordan Cousins.

I have been very impressed by Munns in his short time at the club. He tends to play in an an advanced midfield role, has great ability to run at people, great vision, and a terrific work rate. His problem is his small stature. But a good small one is better than a bad big'un.

The other player who impresses me is Feeley. He is a powerful centre back, who rarely loses a header. He is more comfortable on the ball than most centre backs. He is also, IMO, a future Charlton captain.
  • Options
    Easy to say now but when I first saw him as 15 year old in the Victory Shield I thought Cousins looked better as a DM rather than a RB or CB.

The way he's going, if we hold onto him, Karlan Ahearne-Grant might only be a few years off. Top u18 scorer last season as an u15, made his u21 debut this season (Pigott stepping up and Smith and Azeez going out on loan helps of course) and has continued to score goals for the u18s. Not seen him play so don't know where he is with his all round game.

From what I've seen of Azeez and Sho-Silva I'm not convinced about them. That said Pigott didn't look levels above them, and they have far more pace. A good run of games out on loan might help them push on though.

Of the midfielders Poyet looks more likely to make the step up over Muldoon, Bradley Jordan and Harry Gerard for me.

Out of the defenders Holmes-Dennis and Gomez are very good prospects. Not sure about Fox, Feely and Osborne, like Azeez and Sho-Silva a loan spell might help them push on.

We've also added Daniel and Munns to the u21 squad this summer. Not sure where the club see them at the moment.

Those that regularly watch the u21s and u18s might see things a bit differently.
  • Options

The other player who impresses me is Feeley. He is a powerful centre back, who rarely loses a header. He is more comfortable on the ball than most centre backs. He is also, IMO, a future Charlton captain.

I know am only going by a computer game but on FIFA his pace is set @ 33???

Is he really that slow or is that a game not have a scooby?
  • Options
    Saw Bradley Jordan pre season think he looked pretty good but obviously only 1 game .