Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Business Banking

If I could keep the same Account Manager for more than 5 minutes, I would happily throttle her/him. Anyone recommend a bank for small businesses (under £5m T/O) that are NOT Lloyds TSB?!?

Comments

• HSBC have done an OK job for me. Account managers are always hard to get hold of though and I wouldn't expect a good service which ever bank you go with.
  • I'd avoid NatWest. Just opened up a start-up account - and was well and truly impressed by the woman who dealt with everything.

Had a very good chat, discussed options they could help me with and even discussed the future. Also a very lenient bank when it comes to credit ratings from what I gather.

Why would I advise against them? I've been informed I'll lose her soon and everything will be done over the phone, with a call center. So no business manager who knows me, knows my plan and so on. More than a little disappointing as I was well and truly impressed by how helpful she appeared to be. Just what the doctor ordered if you're starting up and need some advice; or perhaps even if you're established and need advice.

I've been in Metro Bank when a friend has been dealing with his business transactions and they appear good; can't speak from personal experience though.
  • We use natwest but you need to ensure you get the right branch, always been helpful to us with loans etc, although now we might need a large temporary loan / short term overdraft they may not be so accommodating. There business team even sent us a bottle of champagne when we landed a major contract.
  • We use natwest but you need to ensure you get the right branch, always been helpful to us with loans etc, although now we might need a large temporary loan / short term overdraft they may not be so accommodating. There business team even sent us a bottle of champagne when we landed a major contract.

Sounds like a lot of the stuff I've heard about NatWest - hence why I opted for them. I don't suppose you've heard anything about these changes? I may be worried for no reason!
  • I have a personals account with Metro and think they are great
  • I use Barclays who are OK. I know Metro well and in my experience they are good. Handelsbank are also good if you fit their profile. Where are you based? I can introduce you.
  • Never heard of Handelsbank. We are across Europe but based in London.

Was the co-op comment serious? Are they good for business customers?
  • RBS Business Banking are okay - I have been with them for 12 years.
  • edited December 2012
    kafka - what's your business & where in London are you based? I'm in Barclays, but in the larger side (£20m t/o upwards) looking after professionals. As you know & a few above say, it's all about finding someone reliable & durable. I know a few people in that side of our business. Happy to ask around and find someone good in you area if it would help.
  • Sponsored links:

• Maglor works for HSBC in business banking and is a top bloke. Why don't you PM him?
  • kafka said:

Never heard of Handelsbank. We are across Europe but based in London.

Handelsbank have good coverage. see weblink below. it just depends what you need your bank for as to whether you are a good fit. If there is an Addick on here in a bank best talk to them.

http://www.handelsbanken.co.uk/shb/inet/ICentRb.nsf/vLookUpFirstPage/Central

• LuckyReds said:

We use natwest but you need to ensure you get the right branch, always been helpful to us with loans etc, although now we might need a large temporary loan / short term overdraft they may not be so accommodating. There business team even sent us a bottle of champagne when we landed a major contract.

Sounds like a lot of the stuff I've heard about NatWest - hence why I opted for them. I don't suppose you've heard anything about these changes? I may be worried for no reason!
    Lucky Red, we have not been informed of any changes, just that I am always nervous when we have to ask to borrow money short term, mainly because its a cash flow problem and you actually need it, long term money tends to be for investments which often is not a major disaster if you get turned down.
  • kafka said:

Never heard of Handelsbank. We are across Europe but based in London.

Handelsbank have good coverage. see weblink below. it just depends what you need your bank for as to whether you are a good fit. If there is an Addick on here in a bank best talk to them.

http://www.handelsbanken.co.uk/shb/inet/ICentRb.nsf/vLookUpFirstPage/Central

Website looks interesting. Might explore this a bit more. General impression I get of big banks is that they are all the same with no indivudual customer attention.

Thanks everyone for your views.
  • Handelsbanken have a good reputation if you are in a sector that they are interested in. Just one thing to take note of if you need to borrow. They have their own base rate rather than using the Bank of England base. Currently it is 1.5% (rather than the BoE of 0.5%). I don't know what their margins are like, but just worth remembering.

Best of luck, Tel
  • I'm a business relationship manager with Natwest. Depending on your business size it may be possible to help. You will also remain to have contact with me as my level isn't changing.
  • Coop bank came top of the small <£5m business banking for many years and they're recommended by the Fed of Small Businesses. I'm thinking of going over to them for my business, with NatWest now and they've deteriorated over the past 2-3 years...
  • NatWest, of course, doesn't actually exist except as a wholly-owned subsidiary of that basket case RBS. So, I suppose one decision to make is, if the Scots vote for independence, do you want to be banking with a very large loss-making bank, publicly-owned by and run from a very small country that might be in a different time zone? All I'd say is remember Icelandic banking.
  • HSBC were pretty good with me, sure I had the first 6 months free of charges when I first opened me account too.