Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

It's snowing ! (Feb 2022 Page 77)

Comments

• Options
    Swisdom said:

I'd love to take the kids sledging but there don't seem to be any decent hills around Swanley........(anyone know of any ??)

I always remember when I was a kid we went over to the local woods where there was a decent , but fairly short, slope. I always found a tea tray better than a sledge.

Pinks Hill estate. Cracking hill there parallel with the m25

thanks Swisdom.

• Options
    Must be some towards hextable way?
  • Options
    What about Footscray Meadows?
  • Options
    Also going Gillingham early tomorrow morning bit concerned about getting back? Real step slope to get out off in my rear wheel drive even in snow mode!
  • Options
    Was gonna say Pinks Hill as well Golfie that's where we went as Kids, also Ruxley Golf Club is feckin brilliant.
  • Options
    There are no roads in gillingham that are a problem ( at the moment ) !
  • Options

The amount of wipe outs I witnessed today was mad at one stage there was a 6 sledge pile up and one kid getting a wooden sledge round his swede

No one seriously hurt some of the younger ones a bit tearful

You def should never turn your back on the slope

It's a risk vs reward past time the pics and memories of your kids and yourselves just doing something so fun and it's free just about tips it for me and where we go there are hundreds up there and the atmosphere is blinding

Until the hood rats turn up and start throwing snowballs at the kids going down

Takes a few of the dads to have a bit of a word and they soon leave the cowards

We buy a new sledge in the summer when the shops are banging them out for a couple of quid

Saw the same sledge for a score today that I paid 3 quid for

We bought 4 sledges this summer as they do tend to snap after a few days down the slope

I managed to break my back very badly sledging Christmas morning two years ago. It has to be the the worlds most dangerous pass time
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Anyway, my earlier cockiness has come back and bit me in the arse. Been snowing now since 17.30 and lots of it! Duvet and DVD day with the missus tomorrow then. Sweet.

Ain't you going to the match? You must be the nearest lifer to Blackburn!

Duvet and DVD !! ....... hey, what about poor Fanny and Co going all the way ?

;o)

Blackburn is way over the Penines Oggy and we had a lot of snow yesterday so that's my excuse. Nothing to do with being fickle and fairweather ;o)

Anyway, more importantly, what's this about Fanny going all the way?!?
    It's all true ! Been all the way and back today with my 3 toyboys .....and never felt better !

You could have joined in too, AddickUpNorth , if you'd bothered to come !

• Options
    Saucy!
  • Options
    Wow Strasburger how and where

Ate you fully recovered and what happened if you don't mind
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Was gonna say Pinks Hill as well Golfie that's where we went as
    Kids, also Ruxley Golf Club is feckin brilliant.

I grew up 2 mins from Pinks Hill !
  • Options
    Happened in Yorkshire up a very large hill!
    Had my daughter on my lap and we hit a rock as I was slowing the sledge down with my feet which lead to a few broken vertebrae.
    I was mobile for about the first 6 months but with lots of pain. It got very bad after that and I started to have lots of falls and then lost movement for a few hours at a time.
    Turns out the problem with walking and standing was due to my muscles compensating for the breaks and pulling my spine to much in the wrong directions putting pressure on the nerves.
    Fingers crossed I have been ok for the last 8 months after I started using a very good osteopath in Eltham.

Something like that really makes you appreciate life. It is way to short and we all have much living to do.
  • Options
    supaclive said:

Was gonna say Pinks Hill as well Golfie that's where we went as
    Kids, also Ruxley Golf Club is feckin brilliant.

I grew up 2 mins from Pinks Hill !
    I lived on the estate for 13 years - vcracking when it snowed though always one twat there with his skis! It's not bloody Aspen, Colorado

• Options
    Morning All.
    Meant to be driving to Welling later, anyone near Lodge Hill/Denton Road ?
    Whats the roads/snow/ice conditions down there ?
  • Options
    Fine at the moment but snow is on the way so could all change.
  • Options
    Thanks fr.
    Meant to be leaving SE26 about 9-30am, so would like any updates if possible.
    Thank You.
  • Options
    Just seen on sky news that the snow has just hit the coast and to the east of London will get 4cm to 8cm
  • Options
    edited January 2013

Morning All.
    Meant to be driving to Welling later, anyone near Lodge Hill/Denton Road ?
    Whats the roads/snow/ice conditions down there ?

Just staring snowing in Welling and is settling on the side roads.
  • Options
    Snowing very heavily on downs north east of Maidstone - I'm not going anywhere today by the look of it!
  • Options
    Thanx GA.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Snowing here in Snodland. Looks beautiful out of my window
  • Options
    Heavy now in SE26....
  • Options

Heavy now in SE26....

Go on a diet then. ;-0)
  • Options
    Fine snow in brighton , but seems to be laying !, probably coming up to London !
  • Options
    Medway is covered in a blanket of snow. The big question is, where have all the chavs gone?
  • Options
    Heavy snow in Harpenden, settling.
  • Options
    Snowing in North London...
  • Options
    Couple of inches overnight in the Medway area and still coming down steadily for those travelling to Gillingham.

Side roads likely to be difficult especially on a gradient
  • Options
    Blizzard like conditions in Bexley. Settling too.
  • Options
    edited January 2013

Blizzard like conditions in Bexley. Settling too.

Really !

A blizzard is a severe snowstorm characterized by strong winds and low temperatures. The difference between a blizzard and a snowstorm is the strength of the wind. To be a blizzard, a snow storm must have sustained winds or frequent gusts that are greater than or equal to 56 km/h (35 mph) with blowing or drifting snow which reduces visibility to 400 meters or a quarter mile or less and must last for a prolonged period of time — typically three hours or more.[1] Snowfall amounts do not have to be significant. In Australia the definition requires that at least some snow has been raised from the ground.[2]

Impact of blizzard
    A severe blizzard has winds over 72 km/h (45 mph), near zero visibility, and temperatures of −12 °C (10 °F) or lower. A ground blizzard has snowdrifts and blowing snow near the ground, but no falling snow.[3]
    Blizzards can bring near-whiteout conditions, and can paralyze regions for days at a time, particularly where snowfall is unusual or rare. The 1972 Iran blizzard, which caused approximately 4,000 deaths, was the deadliest in recorded history.