Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

It's snowing ! (Feb 2022 Page 77)

Comments

• Mrkinski said:

I've been watching the excitement build over the past week in the netweather forums (its a welcome distraction from the takeover thread). Respected posters reading the charts say potentially a week of snow for the south-east.

Where there's just as many WUMs.
  • It was 22C yesterday in Boston. Now it’s just getting ready to snow.

Now that’s weather.
  • Hex said:

Mrkinski said:

I've been watching the excitement build over the past week in the netweather forums (its a welcome distraction from the takeover thread). Respected posters reading the charts say potentially a week of snow for the south-east.

Where there's just as many WUMs.
    Dont tell Doucher.
  • I’ll expect all the snow gritter crews will be in the Canary Islands next week. I’m
    Sorry guv but the misses wanted an earlier holidays this year.
  • So are we gonna get snow down here in the South East or not ?
    And if so when please.
  • MrOneLung said:

So are we gonna get snow down here in the South East or not ?
    And if so when please.

According to the Met Office snow showers can be expected anywhere from late Monday through early Tuesday onwards. With temperatures on or below freezing all day it’s certainly going to settle so I think we can all expect some disruption next week.

• Great, just when I am trying to fly from city airport.
  • Flying from Gatwick Monday morning. Fully expect “late Monday” to change to “early”.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2018
    Hex said:

MrOneLung said:

And if so when please.

Predicting snowfall is usually very difficult especially when you are relying on showers which can be hit or miss. Early next week our showers will be created over the North Sea so precise wind direction which gives longest route over the sea is critical. Wind strength will determine how far inland the showers penetrate.

Those of us in NW Kent will be looking for a Thames Streamer, a mini version of lake-effect snow. A very precise wind direction, roughly ENE, is needed. If you place a ruler on a map you will see that an ENE wind misses the coast of Holland and East Anglia and heads up the Thames Estuary. As the wind hits the NW Kebt 'mountains' snow is deposited.

Later next week the easterly wind is expected to bring more unstable air meaning more and heavier showers across most parts of the UK.

Coming from the continent the air is dryer with dew points well below freezing so even if temperatures are above freezing snow will fall. The low dew points also mean it will be dry powdery snow.

So how much snow will we get ? Nobody really knows so wait and see, but be prepared for the worst !
    Thanks Hex.

have told my boys guaranteed snow next week, and few days off school likely.
  • London & Kent won't get much, if any snow next week. Weather patterns mean it will drift northwards once hitting the East Coast.
  • London & Kent won't get much, if any snow next week. Weather patterns mean it will drift northwards once hitting the East Coast.

Hope you're right....
  • Hex said:

MrOneLung said:

And if so when please.

Predicting snowfall is usually very difficult especially when you are relying on showers which can be hit or miss. Early next week our showers will be created over the North Sea so precise wind direction which gives longest route over the sea is critical. Wind strength will determine how far inland the showers penetrate.

Those of us in NW Kent will be looking for a Thames Streamer, a mini version of lake-effect snow. A very precise wind direction, roughly ENE, is needed. If you place a ruler on a map you will see that an ENE wind misses the coast of Holland and East Anglia and heads up the Thames Estuary. As the wind hits the NW Kebt 'mountains' snow is deposited.

Later next week the easterly wind is expected to bring more unstable air meaning more and heavier showers across most parts of the UK.

Coming from the continent the air is dryer with dew points well below freezing so even if temperatures are above freezing snow will fall. The low dew points also mean it will be dry powdery snow.

So how much snow will we get ? Nobody really knows so wait and see, but be prepared for the worst !
    Could you be a bit more precise ? :wink:
    Ok. I'm 100% confident that nobody knows for sure, not even @golfaddick ;-)
  • This is John Hammond take on the up coming weather which backs up Hex views

MONDAY 26TH FEBRUARY – SUNDAY 4TH MARCH

Severe impacts

By Monday, very cold (‘polar continental’) air will have arrived across all areas of the UK – a marked step up in chill from the weekend. Temperatures in many places will be barely above freezing, the cold accentuated by the easterly wind.

Weather-wise, initially, western areas will be driest and brightest. But already there will be snow flurries further east. And through the day, snow showers here will become heavy and more prolonged. Accumulating snowfall is likely to develop across central and eastern parts of the UK, especially as we head into the night.

By Tuesday. I’m expecting disruptive amounts of snowfall to have fallen in some places. There is likely to be marked variation in amounts of snowfall, but parts of southeast England, East Anglia, northeast England and eastern Scotland are in line for some of the larger accumulations.

Conditions will deteriorate further through the midweek period, with the prospect of disruptive snowfall to be carried more widely westwards across some parts of the UK. Nobody is immune to snowfall by this time. I expect school closures, as well as major impacts on travel and other infrastructure.

One feature of the snow is that it will be very dry and powdery, due to the intense cold. As a result, drifting of snow into deeper accumulations is likely.

The most intense cold is likely through this period. Many places will struggle to get above freezing by day, meaning melting of snow will be limited, despite the strengthening sunshine. Overnight frost will be severe and penetrating as a result of the easterly wind. Where winds fall light over snow-cover, double-figure negative temperatures are possible.

We’ll need reminding that we’re into early March as the bitter cold continues to the end of the week. But there are some interesting variations between computer models in other respects. Some attempt to push low pressure systems up from the south, whilst others usher in fronts from the north. The jury is still out. However, either way, the nett result will be to inject moisture into the pre-existing cold airmass resident across the UK. And that brings the prospect of a spell of more prolonged heavy snowfall – either from the south or the north – by next weekend.

The jet stream will be left weak and ‘punch drunk’ for some considerable time
    MONDAY 5TH MARCH – SUNDAY 11TH MARCH

Lingering cold and snow

The hemispheric reversal of winds, initiated in the stratosphere in mid-February, will have a lingering effect on weather systems well into March. The jet stream will be left weak and ‘punch drunk’ for some considerable time. As a result, milder Atlantic air will struggle to dislodge the cold.

Milder air may make some limited inroads into some southern and western parts of the UK, turning some of the snow to rain.

But on balance, the week will remain chilly for most, with the prospect of further sleet and snow, especially the further north and east we are across the UK. Overnight frosts will remain quite widespread.

MONDAY 12TH MARCH – SUNDAY 25TH MARCH

A slow recovery

It’s hard to believe, given the cold weather that we will still be enduring, that we are approaching the equinox.

Given the increasing strength of the sun, temperatures, almost inevitably, will be rising from their nadir at the start of the month.

But the recovery into something that could be called “springlike” looks like being slow and erratic. I expect further wintry weather at times, with temperatures remaining lower than normal for the time of year.

For weather historians, March 2013 stands out in recent memory as a remarkably cold month – the coldest for over 50 years. As now, the severely cold weather then was preceded by a Sudden Stratospheric Warming. So the question is whether we are about to endure something of a repeat performance…

Given the current volatility of the atmosphere, we will, of course, update this blog during the week if our thoughts change significantly in the days ahead.
  • Hex said:

MrOneLung said:

And if so when please.

Zzzzzzzzzz
  • Bloody freezing over here. Was at the Viktoria Plzen match last night and I think Partizan gave up the ghost because an equaliser would have meant extra time. It was already -4. Set to get worse with -4 being the MAX daytime temp for a few days. Frustrating though that there has been no snow around Prague, (although there is in the mountains).
  • Sponsored links:

• @Hex do you have a good weather service to follow for next week, think last time you shared one was great, and whats the magic dew point number?
  • SNOW SNOW SNOW
  • Generally a dew point above freezing means rain but not always ! There are over 10 parameters to consider which is why it's so complicated at the margins, where we usually are in the UK.

Normal advice applies. Watch the forecasts and when showers etc are forecasted, watch the radar.

This advice doesn't apply to hedgehogs and tortoises who should remain asleep !

Careful Golfie, that sounds similar to Michael Fish in '87:-)
  • LenGlover said:

London & Kent won't get much, if any snow next week. Weather patterns mean it will drift northwards once hitting the East Coast.

Hope you're right....
    Golfie lives in his own world Len. We're getting dumped on.

I was just about to day the same thing about the John Hammond forecast. I wont believe it until I see it settling on my car outside......or WIOTOS !!
  • Next weekend we'll get a ton of snow down in the South East when the next Atlantic Cold front hits our 'Beast from The East'

I was just about to day the same thing about the John Hammond forecast. I wont believe it until I see it settling on my car outside......or WIOTOS !!
    John Hammond is doing the opposite of Michael Fish, you are doing a Michael Fish:-)