Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Amsterdam....

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2012
    "Any rough places to avoid near RLD?"

I stayed right in the middle of the RLD earlier this year and never had any issues. Like most big cities after dark, keep an eye on money/wallets etc and don't be stupid! There are so many people about anyway it never bothered me.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    When I go to Amsterdam I always visit here, great bands on.
    Just off Leidseplein square.

Safe to open at work.

http://www.waterhole.nl/

• Options

@WillmoreTheRed - regards the RLD. If you go down there during the day you'll be safe as houses. At night, just keep your wits about you like you would any other place. Obviously the nature of the area means it attracts some dubious characters but don't act like a twat, ignore the street dealers and you'll be fine. Make sure you keep your missus close tho.

If it's not too cold then Vondelpark is a great place to enjoy a smoke. Be discreet with street smoking, a bench along a quiet canal is always a good option.

Be very discreet. In one night I saw the Police getting rough with two separate groups out in the streets.
  • Options
    Cheers for all the advice here. Was an amazing trip and returning next month loved it that much!
  • Options

Cheers for all the advice here. Was an amazing trip and returning next month loved it that much!

Would you consider taking in an AJAX game whilst there?
    One eck of a stadium they've got there!

• Options
    Jarman said:

Would you consider taking in an AJAX game whilst there?
    One eck of a stadium they've got there!

I didn't get to see the ground when I was there as there was so much to do but have planned to go there next time.
  • Options
    10 of us rented an apartment in September for a weekend stag do, absolute carnage.
  • Options
    Locals hoping to ban tourists using the "cafes", Dutch only.
  • Options
    anne frank's museum is an eye opener. don't visit, as my friends did, the morning after eating tons of mushrooms or you'll struggle.

opposite the grasshopper hotel (by the sex museum) there is a great chip and mayo kiosk for a snack. beware of bikes and trams and bikes stuck in tram lines.

keep your wits about you, if you get approached in the red light district, don't enter into a conversation with the drug pushers just keep walking or they will carry on pestering you.

try to get to see a band at Paradiso and maybe some comedy at boom chicago on the elisaplein (sp?!)
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Locals hoping to ban tourists using the "cafes", Dutch only.

Thats been talked of for at least 6 or 7 years, they were telling me that on 06
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bit like banning smoking in cafe's. The Dutch ignore laws and do what they want. Too much money to be made from tourists, so it will never happen.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Talking about drug pushers when we first went there (1990) my wife was approached by a guy (while I was in the loo) he actually opened a brief case in front of her which had all sorts of drug parafenallia (sp) in it, as I came out the loo he closed the case and casually walked off, bizaar experience indeed.
  • Options
    Had week of work so spontaneously returned with a mate this week. Was still amazing even on second time... Went to Rotterdam as well this trip well worth a visit!
  • Options

Had week of work so spontaneously returned with a mate this week. Was still amazing even on second time... Went to Rotterdam as well this trip well worth a visit!

I have to go to Rotterdam for work. There is no way I would ever leave Amsterdam to take a voluntary trip tio Rotterdam. Its like having a holiday in London and popping up to Birmingham for the 'vibe'.

• Options
    Haven't got further than Rotterdam train station and have to say that was enough. I remember a lot of scowling right wing skinheads milling about and was glad to leave town. I'd stick to Dam.
  • Options
    Went there once for an England game (the 2 0 do I not like that match) Never felt the need to go back.
  • Options
    Do a lot of work in Rotterdam and it's certainly not a tourist attraction. Very industrial and commercial. The Dutch call it Moroccodam for a very good reason. There again Amsterdam thrives on tourism.
  • Options
    My mate worked in Rotterdam about 10 years ago. We paid a weekend visit. He used to tell us how lovely it was where he lived. I though it was like Thamesmead.

Amsterdam was great, but Rotterdam no thanks.
  • Options
    Rotterdam is the Millwall of Holland. I've got Dutch family and they all say the same about the place, scummy.
  • Options
    It's a port city, historically these are run down and a bit dodgy but a lot of money has gone into Rotterdam recently. It wasn't too bad when we went 2 years ago, though probably only worth visiting if you have a definite reason to. There was one nice area on the waterfront with bars and that oddly shaped hostel, and walking to and from it was alright. De Kuip is a cool stadium.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Our HQ is in Rotterdam place is OK if you know where to go, plenty of good restaurants etc but it is not a weekend destination and agree the area around central station is a no go after 9 o'clock. Amsterdam is OK but I find it a bit dirty and scruffy these days. Would consider Antwerp you can get flights from London City and its a really nice city.
  • Options

try to get to see a band at Paradiso and maybe some comedy at boom chicago on the elisaplein (sp?!)

Definitely worthwhile. Had a great evening there
  • Options
    any tips on family friendly activities or places to go? Anne Frank, Van Goh, canal trip, anymore?

Ta
  • Options
    Amsterdam has a zoo, haven't been tho. Anne Frank's definitely for the history but be prepared to answer questions that your kids might not like the answers to.
  • Options
    Groucho bar best smoke I have ever had
  • Options

Groucho bar best smoke I have ever had

Probably not 'family friendly' tho ;o)
  • Options
    Not in Amsterdam but a few miles north is Volendam. It's a nice old fishing village and you can get a boat across to Marken which is really peaceful. Not sure if it will suit the kids though, but different from the hustle and bustle of Amsterdam. Be prepared to queue for Anne Frank's house. Whatever, hope you have a good trip.
  • Options
    Peanut sauce on fries

Red leb if you spot any
  • Options
    If you plan on going to Anne Franks House, then book online before you go. You can then bypass the mile-long queue and go straight in. It's not a 'pleasant' experience, but very moving.

The Iamsterdam website is really good: http://www.iamsterdam.com/

Vondelpark is good for families if the weather is nice. Artis Zoo would also be a good bet, haven't been myself though so no idea on how good/bad it is.

I love the canal trips, it's an excuse to sit back and put your feet up for a while. Doesn't cost very much and you get to view the city from a different perspective. Going under those low canal bridges is a bit scary, as it going out into the dock area, alongside massive cruise liners in a tiny little boat!
  • Options
    Yeah it is mate very family friendly

You can chain them up to the railings outside and watch them through the window

Child care for pot heads