Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bolton vs. Charlton Athletic | 15th December 2012 | Match Preview, Teams, Predictions, News & Views

WSSWSS
edited December 2012 in General Charlton
Introduction

Over the past six games, Charlton sit top of the form guide for away performances. Three wins and three draws, combined with the best defence on the road (0.9 goals conceded per game) has seen Charlton rise into the top half of the Championship table. The Addicks will be hoping to extend their unbeaten run to eight games against recently relegated Bolton Wanderers who are not firing on as many cylinders as they would've hoped considering only four players left from their once Premier League squad. A win could realistically see Chris Powell’s men move up to eighth place and in a strong position to push on through the busy Christmas period.

The Team

Chris Powell’s declaration that he is planning to use his squad makes predicting the starting line-up against Bolton very difficult. Last time out, against Brighton, the team set up to nullify the passing approach of Gus Poyet’s men and it worked to an extent but had some negative effects. Danny Haynes on his return from injury was quiet after being stuck out on the right wing and could move back up top alongside Rob Hulse should we decide on a two-pronged attack.

Last Saturday also saw Lawrie Wilson return at right back and put in a man of the match performance. Chris Solly played left back as Dan Seabourne was ill but I’d expect him to return to the fold come Saturday and that leaves Powell with a decision. Solly will certainly return to his natural position on the right but will Wilson line-up in front of him or does he stick with Pritchard? It’s going to be a close call. Frimpong and Stephens played well in the centre against Brighton but having both Jackson and Seabourne on the left would leave us woefully pedestrian-paced down one flank.

So hard to call this week.

Here’s Preview Towers predicted lineup: Hamer; Solly, Cort, Morrison, Seabourne; Wilson, Pritchard, Frimpong, Stephens, Jackson; Hulse.

The Opposition

Bolton are without a win at home in the last three games and are sitting in 18th place in the league and will be hoping to kick start their season. Bolton have not lost to Charlton since 2002 when goals from Jason Euell and Chris Bart-Williams secured a 2-1 victory so the natives will be optimistic. The top performers for the Trotters this season have been the talismanic Kevin Davies and midfielder Chris Eagles who have shared 12 goals between them, but the team is spattered with recognisable names from the fringes of decent teams of the past. The likes of Stephen Warnock, David Ngog and Jay Spearing are all decent players, obviously not playing very well.

Prediction

Tough, tough game and despite the excellent away record for Charlton this season I’m finding it very difficult to see us getting anything from it. Minor setback. 1-0.

Come on you reds!

Comments

• Options
    I can see this one as draw 1-1.
  • Options
    Charlton to continue their superb away form with a solid 0-1 victory with the winning goal coming early in the 2nd half!
  • Options
    I know I say it often but I'll take a point right now.
  • Options
    I don't think it is a hard choice for who plays on the right-wing , Wilson for me everytime. Pritchard is much more effective in the middle, Wilson can beat a man and get decent crosses in.
  • Options
    1-1 Wilson the goal scorer.
  • Options
    Wilson for sure plus Haynes in for Pritchard
    Charlton win 2-0
  • Options
    I can see us nicking this with a hotly disputed penalty ...
  • Options
    2 0 win on the road again for the mighty addicks with the defence standing strong allowing Hulse & Haynes to get the goals.
  • Options
    I can't see us winning this one,2-0 to them.
  • Options
    think we'll come unstuck here, a score draw at absolute best after going 1-0 down early on
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think WSS's team prediction is likely to be spot on.
  • Options
    Thought people were being over the top on this being a really hard game as they are 18th but their home record is decent. Draw will do
  • Options
    Bolton make a point to their neighbours Burnley by beating us 2-1, in a thudding non-game of mud, longball and violence with at least one sending off. More of our chaps off the field and onto the injured list makes Christmas congestion look tough.
  • Options
    looking forward to this one,
    Solly & Wilson on the right
    Seaborne & Kerkar/JJ on the left
    Steph & Frim in the middle
    2 Hs up front with Richado on the bench

no probs 0-2 win
  • Options
    1-1 Haynes
  • Options
    Another away draw. 0-0 or 1-1.
  • Options
    Can see he dropping Pritch for Wilson.

fancy we might nick it 1-0
  • Options
    Bolton Wanderers 2 v CAFC 0
  • Options
    Kerker returns in front of Seabloke, Wilson in front of Solly, Fuller returns upfront.

Upshot is a storming 2 - 0 win over Lennie and Dougie
  • Options
    Bolton aren't having a good season, and are there for the taking, I'd expect at least a draw.
    Dougie may live to regret his decision...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fancy at least a point, always strange playing against LL after so many memories.
  • Options
    O-2 to the travelling Haddocks. Morrison and Fuller.
  • Options
    I reckon that predicted line up is about right. I fancy us to win this, with a hard fought 1-0 win. Scorer will either be Morro with a late header or a direct free kick from the skipper.
  • Options
    All I'll say is " Keep the Faith" !!
  • Options
    1-2 Charlton
  • Options
    Not sure what team CP will pick. Logic suggests Pingpong, Stephens and Wilson in the middle. Take your pick with left midfield. Hulse and Haynes up front. I can't see where Pritchard fits in there but in sure CP will pick him. Can't call this one I think we should lose but this team keeps surprising me.
  • Options
    1-1. Gut tells me sendings off will occur.
  • Options
    Difficult to call - Bolton should be doing better than their current league position suggests. I have a terrible feeling they'll choose Saturday to show the world what they're made of. Hope I'm wrong - I often am (just ask the wife).
  • Options
    3-0 to the haddocks .... goals from Jackson, kermy, and Cort

--------------HAMER----------------
    SOLLY ----CORT----MORRO-----SEABOURNE
    WILSON ----STEPHENS---JACKSON----KERKAR
    -------HAYNES ------KERMY------------

bench = button, devrite, frimpong, pritch, green, hulse, bwp
  • Options
    1 - 0 to notlob