Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

panorama

Britains housing crisis.
Anyone watch it tonight. There are times when you watch things that make you sick to the pit of your stomach. This was one such time.

Comments

• Options
    Yes, very sad indeed. The company I work for are in partnership with Shelter, who are a fantastic charity that help people with these kinds of difficulties. I will be making sure I donate regularly as it could happen to any of us.
  • Options
    Didn't watch it all but obviously something close to my heart.

Did seem strange that a family being evicted for mortgage arrears managed to drive away from their property in two cars - one a dirty great 4x4 Lexus. Surely that gets binned to pay the mortgage? Or am I being harsh?
  • Options
    I thought it was interesting that only the women with cancer sought help from family & friends - both families with children didn't seem to mention seeking help from parents and or siblings until right at the end when the family of 4 went to live with a sister.
  • Options
    Very sad indeed, and felt very uncomfortable that the people were not given more help, and support.
    I appreciate that you only heard the story from the people being evicted, but where was the safety net for these people?
    The lady with cancer had a very harsh experience, and needed good advice and support, she did not seem to me to be looking for a handout?
    God only knows what effect this was having on the kids in these examples?
    I appreciate that housing cannot be just given away, but the system shown in the programme at present seems pretty hopeless.

• Options

I thought it was interesting that only the women with cancer sought help from family & friends - both families with children didn't seem to mention seeking help from parents and or siblings until right at the end when the family of 4 went to live with a sister.

People are far too ashamed to admit they need help, for most it is an absolute last resort when really it should be pretty high up on the list.
  • Options
    Broke my heart. The woman with cancer was a real nice girl.
  • Options
    Saw it. Its a shame that you have to be legally repossessed and evicted from a house you own or else you cannot get help from the Council it appears. If you were under pressure on your mortgage so sold the house to repay your debts and then went to the Council, it appears they then say you made yourself intentionally homeless and then they cannot help.
  • Options
    I work in a local authority Housing Department and I see this every day. Very sad and no-one seems to be doing anything about the situation.
  • Options
    Was very sad. When you get on that downward spiral its a God awfull place to be and get off of.

Huge lack of housing and an expanding population. Things wont get better.
  • Options
    edited December 2012

Britains housing crisis.
    Anyone watch it tonight. There are times when you watch things that make you sick to the pit of your stomach. This was one such time.

Had tears in my eyes watching parts of it. Felt sorry for the banker and the lady with cancer, both appeared to have tried everything to keep a roof over their head but didn't manage it. Even the family in the hostel seemed to try and sort things out with the Dad finally getting a job but still having to fight for some help.

Didn't have quite as much sympathy for the 100% mortage family with two cars - if they were earning that much, why weren't they saving money for the future?

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Was very sad. When you get on that downward spiral its a God awfull place to be and get off of.

Fully agree.

Heard a woman on the radio in tears this morning as her and her husband both lost jobs, been unable to find work and have been living on the breadline for the last few years. Has a £20 budget each to buy her 19 and 21yr old daughters xmas presents.

Its not just those on a downward spiral though, its the general squeeze on those that are (what should be) a relatively comfortable position. A guy said he has worked 82hrs overtime this month, he earns £1800 a month, his mortgage and bills come to £1500, so he works those extra hours so his family effectively have £300 to live with through the month. That is the real common theme at the moment I feel, and if the economy doesn't turn in the next couple of years and some how mortgage rates and rents go up, i think it could be absolutely frightening.

• Options
    We've had this very own story on here with RedMidland nearly going to the wall like this? I think that's correct.
    Once it starts to go wrong, it can go horribly wrong.

• Options

A guy said he has worked 82hrs overtime this month, he earns £1800 a month, his mortgage and bills come to £1500, so he works those extra hours so his family effectively have £300 to live with through the month.
    There my friends is the perfect example of why this Government are absolutely 100% correct in their decision to cap benefits at £2,167 per month.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    Those who caused the banking crisis, the mortgage crisis, the middle ranking staff unemployment crisis, are probably the same people who are buying up the repossessed houses and making a nice profit on them. While accepting that there are a certain number of feckless people who allow themselves to get into impossible debt situations, the cases outlined on Panorama show the degradation and despair that can follow unemployment and an inability to pay a mortgage or rent.
    I presume that there are still many thousands of asylum seekers who are being comfortably housed, fed and furnished by the UK taxpayer. I, as one solitary taxpayer, would sooner MY money was spent on helping UK citizens who have fallen on very hard times rather than on foreigners who have never and possibly never will contribute a penny to the UK tax and wefare/benefit coffers
  • Options
    All I know is that if I was the father with the wife & 4 kids all living in a 1 room property the council would know about it as I'd be camping on their doorstep DEMANDING a bigger property - some people do not protest enough.

I know this will infuriate some people, but I didn't have too much sympathy with the women with cancer - she had a mortggae & therefore should have had insurance to cover it - life & critical illness insurance on her mortgage (approx £50k I think) wouldn't have cost the earth
  • Options
    I can see your point but life and critical illness insurance is expensive and if you are really cutting costs, some people might make a choice to cut that monthly bill.

• Options
    Just watched it on iPlayer. Depressing to say the least.
    The poor lady with cancer, the most depressing of all. Lost her house for a poxy 9k and not a friend in sight.
    The others I found depressingly feckless. 1/2 million %100 mortgage, investment banker who couldn't sort out his own finances and a "family" who certainly know how to breed but no idea how to provide other than Croydon council will.
  • Options

All I know is that if I was the father with the wife & 4 kids all living in a 1 room property the council would know about it as I'd be camping on their doorstep DEMANDING a bigger property - some people do not protest enough.

I know this will infuriate some people, but I didn't have too much sympathy with the women with cancer - she had a mortggae & therefore should have had insurance to cover it - life & critical illness insurance on her mortgage (approx £50k I think) wouldn't have cost the earth

But that is the point Golfie when things get tough financially they look at what they could reduce I know people that have dropped critical illness cover and household insurance to save less than 200 quid a month but they have to pay 3quid a day for the school meals and the fare for their child to get to school in cheshunt as its not on the oyster otherwise they would have to find the £155 a month for their son to go to school and eat out of their monthly pay cheques, however they only have £200 per month left after bills food etc that has to go on fuel tax insurance mot, to enable them to get to work

this country is backwards in the fact that those that work pay tax try to do the right thing are the ones that have to gamble more against bad news and issues that may arise in health and home

its wrong that there is no safety net to help them

i heard on gmtv this week that if you are on the dole you can apply for a bridging loan or a hardship loan to get them through xmas, where is the incentive to work

its wrong so so so wrong

• Options
    edited December 2012
    It's a fact that prices are so high in this country; from houses, cars, to food and clothing, because traditionally, or at least since the 1960s, credit has been so easy to obtain. Live now pay later unfortunately has become like a bad marriage, not marry in haste repent at leisure but borrow now and regret at your leisure whilst living on porridge in some rat infested, flea ridden dosshouse.
    AND companies such as Wonga should be run outta town and their thieving bastard owners tarred and feathered.
  • Options
    Food and clothing are not expensive.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

they are if you have no money
  • Options

where do you live ? ... shoddy clothing is dirt cheap but a waste of money .. food ? .. 46% overall price increase in the last 12 months
  • Options

where do you live ? ... shoddy clothing is dirt cheap but a waste of money .. food ? .. 46% overall price increase in the last 12 months
    obviously not in the UK or he doesnt actually do any food or clothes shopping himself
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Algarve (the clues are there). Came back from the UK ten days ago, £1.39 for a loaf of bread in a corner shop there, €2.20 in a supermarket here. Bought various shirts and a cracking Ben Sherman crombie half price in a sale, over here you are lucky if you get 10% off in a sale. Average wage here is a third of that in Britain and there is no tax allowance either. No idea where you got that stat Lincs, but the evidence of my eyes did not back that up at all. I do plenty of clothes and food shopping shine, you just don't know when you are well off mate.
  • Options

they are if you have no money
    Can't fault the logic there...

• Options
    Strange, when my parents went to Portugal they said it was really cheap there.
  • Options
    £1.39 and €2.20 are both to much for a loaf of bread !
  • Options

Strange, when my parents went to Portugal they said it was really cheap there.

But they were on holiday Stu, I was referring specifically to food and clothes shopping.
  • Options
    Annoys me when people moan about the price of food and clothing but think nothing of knocking their pipe out on fags, booze, phones, ipads and other such "essentials".