Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Our non league signings

Think Bradley P, has to be the best Non league signing since i have support this club, A gem compared to Fleetwood,Dickson and the rest of the players that we signed and didn't see much of.

Comments

• Options
    Paul Williams - Woodford Town
    Colin Powell - Barnet
  • Options
    Pritch is a great lad and I think it's a great story , was made up for him scoring last week but I do worry that he is getting exposed at times , I might be wrong but in some games the championship seems a step up too far

But saying that he is a great find and done wonders last season
  • Options
    Morrison from Wednesday ;-)
  • Options
    Paul Gorman (from Fisher?) always promised a lot and scored a few but never quite cracked it.

Scott McGleish was signed from Edgeware Town and had a decent career away from Charlton.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited December 2012
    Sasa Ilic came from Fisher didn't he?
  • Options
    WSS said:

Sasa Ilic came from Fisher didn't he?

I thought it was Stamco. I remember seeing him play there in a cup match against Canvey Island. Next thing I know he's with us; I couldn't quite believe it.
  • Options
    HandG said:

Paul Gorman (from Fisher?) always promised a lot and scored a few but never quite cracked it.

Scott McGleish was signed from Edgeware Town and had a decent career away from Charlton.

Didn't Gorman have a serious knee injury which he never really recovered from, also was less than popular in the dressing room.

Sasa was St Leonards

• Options
    Easily Colin Powell for me.
  • Options
    Paul Williams did it at the top level for Charlton. He was superb. £20k investment, top scorer and sold him for about £700k.
  • Options
    Paul Williams was class , didn't he score 2 v Man Utd at Selhurst?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Yes...in a 2-1 win in our relegation season. Both from about two yards.

• Options

He got capped for England B after that game

• Options
    Going back, I think Williams was one of the quickest strikers I've seen at Charlton. Very good finisher too.
  • Options

Pritch is a great lad and I think it's a great story , was made up for him scoring last week but I do worry that he is getting exposed at times , I might be wrong but in some games the championship seems a step up too far

But saying that he is a great find and done wonders last season

Im a massive Pritchard fan.

Dont think it is a step too far when you consider he is playing out of position.

He is a CM all day long and i think when Frimpong goes back in Jan he should be played in there.
  • Options
    Pritchard has been a revelation. I never expected him to be a first team regular when he first signed, especially in a higher division. Part of me was thinking he was going to be another Dean Sinclair.

Amazing really that he had been playing the lower leagues all that time without being spotted.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    cafctom said:

Pritchard has been a revelation. I never expected him to be a first team regular when he first signed, especially in a higher division. Part of me was thinking he was going to be another Dean Sinclair.

Amazing really that he had been playing the lower leagues all that time without being spotted.

Thing is, his style of play isnt eye catching.

He's a hard working midfielder that keeps it simple.

Someone like Danny Green, for example, would stick out at that level because of his dead ball ability...or Chris Dickson with his goalscoring record.

I remember playing against Histon for Dartford and we got beat 5-0. They had a centre midfielder similar to Pritchard and he was on a complete other level to anything ive played against before.

Makes you think how much talent goes unnoticed.
  • Options

Easily Colin Powell for me.

Agreed!

• Options
    Yep, it's got to be Paddy Powell from Barnet.

And of course Cyril Davies who was capped for Wales U-23 and Dickie, Dickie, Dickie Plumb who scored about 10 goals for us and hit the woodwork about 20 times!

Both came from Yeovil Town, who were non-league at the time.
  • Options
    Morts - legend
  • Options
    Aren't we losing Pritchard to Zimbabwe?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And Frimpong is hoping Ghana will pick him?
  • Options
    Agree on Paddy Powell and, going back to my early days, Sam Bartram (Boldon Colliery)
  • Options
    And on the other side of the coin, there was Gary Churchyard or whatever his name was.

There was a player totally out of his depth.
  • Options
    And Peter Shaw, from Staines Town, who made a shaky start but settled down to become a dependable centre back.
  • Options
    Can't believe nobody's mentioned Dorian Smith. Another of the many pearls unearthed by Alan Pardew, who presumably signed him on the basis that he was called Dorian and therefore might be up for a shag.

Luke Holden looked decent on his one substitute appearance, seemed a bit unfortunate to be let go I thought.
  • Options
    One we kind of missed out on was Matt Elliott - signed from some lowly non-league side and never given a chance. Went on to great things with Leicester and a Scottish International
  • Options
    Mike "Ned" Kelly, big physical CM signed from Bexley United.

Played about 10 consecutive games for us in Division 2 and really looked the part - then got banged up!
  • Options

Morts - legend

Thought he was working in a book shop and not playing when we signed him?

• Options

Morts - legend

Thought he was working in a book shop and not playing when we signed him?

Correct. Released by Fulham
  • Options

One we kind of missed out on was Matt Elliott - signed from some lowly non-league side and never given a chance. Went on to great things with Leicester and a Scottish International

Epsom & Ewell?