Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hate Xmas

edited December 2012 in Not Sports Related
Think people should make the effort and call it Christmas meself, I know it might sound a bit rich coming from me, but I just find it lazy to cut it short. Not just on CL, but when I see it on pub signs etc.

That is all.

Comments

• Options
    Do you feel this way about all abbreviations?
  • Options
    Agree
  • Options
    I thought this was a thread about hating Christmas, imagine my disappointment!
  • Options
    No, just Xmas/Christmas and I ain't religious.
  • Options
    Think it comes from Greek, the X representing Christ. So not a new thing.
  • Options
    edited December 2012

Agree

Meant I agree about the Xmas/Christmas thing, not the question about abbreviations. IMHO,LOL, PMSL, @.
  • Options
    Yeah I agree , it loses its meaning after all . CHRISTmas , its Jesus birthday . Xmas does nt mean anything
  • Options
    What's so special about Xmas/Christmas then?
  • Options

Agree

Meant I agree about the Xmas/Christmas thing, not the question about abbreviations. IMHO,LOL, PMSL, @.
    Agree
  • Options
    JT said:

Agree

Agree
    You agree that I agree??? ;0)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ....and there goes the topic...
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    The letter X (Chi in Greek) has been used for centuries to denote Christ.

An X is a cross after all and Chi is the first three letters of Christ.

I think the earliest abbreviation in England goes back to the Anglo-Saxon chronicles.

It was also common in Victorian times before anyone bemoans that "Christ is being taken out of Christmas in these material and secular times".

I can see that some people, like Grande Robert, don't like it which is fine but I doesn't bother me either way.
  • Options
    Smart arse
  • Options
    Oh sorry.

;0)
  • Options

I think the earliest abbreviation in England goes back to the Anglo-Saxon chronicles.

It was also common in Victorian times before anyone bemoans that "Christ is being taken out of Christmas in these material and secular time".

I can see that somepeople, like Grande Robert, don't like it which is fine but I doesn't bother me either way.

Yeah, I know its been around for years and know some say that the X is for Christ or the cross, but it's a personal thing and I just prefer the full Christmas meself, think it sounds better to use the full word.
  • Options

It was also common in Victorian times before anyone bemoans that "Christ is being taken out of Christmas in these material and secular times".

I can see that some people, like Grande Robert, don't like it which is fine but I doesn't bother me either way.

I'm a Robin pal! ; )
  • Options
    How was he supposed to know when you go about abbreviating it? :)
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

I'm a Robin pal! ; )
    Pardon, Grande Rouge-Gorge :-)

Smart arse

I know. There was a series on Radio 4 with Stephen Fry about the English language which had a whole episode on "X"

It's also perfectly legal to sign legal documents "X" if you wish.

• Options
    Rizzo said:

If you received a Christmas card with Merry Xmas on the front, would you think it would look as nice on the old mantelpiece as one that said Merry Christmas?
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Rizzo said:

How was he supposed to know when you go about abbreviating it? :)

Who are you his back up?

; )

(If your name was Robin, you'd use Rob an all!)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Rizzo said:

If you received a Christmas card with Merry Xmas on the front, would you think it would look as nice on the old mantelpiece as one that said Merry Christmas?
    It genuinely wouldn't bother me but I hate Christmas anyway.
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

BIG_ROB said:

Rizzo said:

It genuinely wouldn't bother me but I hate Christmas anyway.
    Your opinion don't count then. ; )
  • Options
    It's the number on the piece of paper inside that concerns me most
  • Options

WH Smiths vouchers come in credit card form now like.
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

That's another thing that pisses me off about Xmas. I used to get WH Smith vouchers from my Aunt and there is literally nothing in that shop that I would want to buy because I can get it somewhere else cheaper.

• Options
    and how many copies of FHM and pencil sharpeners do you need anyway?
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

BIG_ROB said:

That's another thing that pisses me off about Xmas. I used to get WH Smith vouchers from my Aunt and there is literally nothing in that shop that I would want to buy because I can get it somewhere else cheaper.

Is there nothing about Christmas you like then?
  • Options
    @big_robin

Is there any chance of a xmas Christmas special guess the rack
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Rizzo said:

BIG_ROB said:

Is there nothing about Christmas you like then?
    Getting time off work.