Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Help needed with graphics.

edited December 2012 in Not Sports Related
I've invented a board game (although board games bore me rigid) and would like to make a prototype. I found it quite easy to design in MS Word but when I pasted it into MS Paint it sort of moved about. It's design is not so different from a Ludo board so am looking for a programme that will enable me to do this simply. Any tips greatfully recieved.

Comments

• Options
    I'd suggest inkscape. You might find Gimp useful too. Both are free and very powerful tools, but thy can be quite complicated. For most things you'll want to do though you can find decent tutorials on Youtube. Good luck.
  • Options
    Gimp is good. I'm going to take a look at inkscape myself.
  • Options
    Wow...Inkscape is cool...very complicated but will do exactly what I want.

Many thanks Stig. All I need now are some boardgame nerds to trial it for me.
  • Options
    Here's some links that might be off use to you:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com
    http://www.bgdf.com (Board Game Designers Forum)
    http://www.playtest.co.uk/

When you say board game bore your rigid, have you played many modern board games? Not the sort of crap sold in Toys R Us and Argos (a million and 1 Monopoly rethemes and the same old crap Hasbro/MB have been selling for the last 50 years). Have a look at Boardgamegeek at the sort of games that are out there, you may be surprised. Having designed a few board games and possibly having a number published next year, you need to play a lot of games to see how they work mechanically. Most people's exposure is Monopoly (usually played wrong, everybody seems to play their own rules) and Risk. Risk isn't necessarily a bad game, but Monopoly is a fairly terrible game. As a hint, roll and move is a bad idea generally. Players want to make meaningful decisions, not roll dice and simply do as they're told, where is the fun in that and where is the actual game?
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I dont like board games because I'm no good at them. My board game has one throw of the dice at the start of the game, without this there would be only 144 game plays...which believe me you can memorise. With the dice throw to find your start point the game plays go up to 182,000. So a random start, but from then on its a game of skill. Those good at or interested in Algebra will like it most.

ps. Totally agree about rolling a dice all through the game...yawn!
    pps. Cheers for the forum linky thingy.
    ppps. I'm crap at maths.
  • Options
    BGDF is a good place to start, lots of people (many who have had games published) willing to offer help and advice. Randomizing starting positions/conditions is a good way of introducing variability and replayability.

Boardgamegeek has Board Game Design forums, but the sheer volume of info on there can be overwhelming. However, posting there will usually generate good feedback from a wide-range of gamers.

I guess the most important thing to understand is that game design is a lengthy process. I've got a game that is going to be published (small print run, around 500 copies) early next year. I came up with the original design late last summer and it came out pretty much fully formed (i.e. the idea came out as a fully formed, playable game, rather than just an idea that took a load of work to get into something approaching a playable form). It's still taken well over a year of testing and tweaking to get it into a publishable form.

Also, do it because you like the game, not because you want to make money. Game designers don't make any money, there are a handful of full time game designers in the world, everybody else does it part time or as a hobby. Outside of Hasbro/MB, no body is selling games in massive quantities, so even a really successful game will probably only a designer a few thousand pounds.

WIth that in mind, it might be work considering Print and Play. Basically you release the files for your game and people print up and play their own versions. I've released a few games this way, even got nominated for an award a couple of years ago. It's a good way of getting people to play your game, and there have been quite a few print and play games signed up by publishers recently.
  • Options
    Nice to see that trainspotting has some competition.
    Have you tried paint shop pro?
  • Options
    Thanks for your time and knowledge andy. I wouldnt say I was well off, but I don't need to make money from it. With most things I invent, anything over costs goes to a charity of my choice. Cant say I've spent a lot of time developing it...about an hour. A few things I forgot: You can play it on your own or up to 4 players. With 4 players you can sometimes get a draw so the two nearest or in the inner circle play off against each other. Although I invented it, I'm not very good at it so it irritated me, but in saying that I had to keep playing until I got to the inner circle (3am this morning) and thats on beginners level...told you I was hopeless. I'm going to make a few and give them away as Xmas presents, that way I'll get some feedback whether good or bad.
  • Options

BGDF is a good place to start, lots of people (many who have had games published) willing to offer help and advice. Randomizing starting positions/conditions is a good way of introducing variability and replayability.

Boardgamegeek has Board Game Design forums, but the sheer volume of info on there can be overwhelming. However, posting there will usually generate good feedback from a wide-range of gamers.

I guess the most important thing to understand is that game design is a lengthy process. I've got a game that is going to be published (small print run, around 500 copies) early next year. I came up with the original design late last summer and it came out pretty much fully formed (i.e. the idea came out as a fully formed, playable game, rather than just an idea that took a load of work to get into something approaching a playable form). It's still taken well over a year of testing and tweaking to get it into a publishable form.

Also, do it because you like the game, not because you want to make money. Game designers don't make any money, there are a handful of full time game designers in the world, everybody else does it part time or as a hobby. Outside of Hasbro/MB, no body is selling games in massive quantities, so even a really successful game will probably only a designer a few thousand pounds.

WIth that in mind, it might be work considering Print and Play. Basically you release the files for your game and people print up and play their own versions. I've released a few games this way, even got nominated for an award a couple of years ago. It's a good way of getting people to play your game, and there have been quite a few print and play games signed up by publishers recently.

Fascinating stuff. Not really into board games (other than Crib or Monopoly which I still think is a great game but agree people never play the right rules) but would love to see your game when it comes out, Andy.
  • Options
    So just because my game is marked out in crayon on wallpaper with a dice made from dried dog poo, youre not interested. Fine by me.....play andy's game! Hope you burn the turkey :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Here's a few links:

Infection Express is a single player game, nominated for an award in 2010. Currently working on the 3rd edition, which will be the final version.
    http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/57139/infection-express

City of Guilds: The Dice Game (There are other City of Guilds games I'm working on) is the one getting published in the new year:
    http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/106782/city-of-guilds-the-dice-game

I have at least 2 other games that publishers have approached me about, one of which I think is close to "complete" (as compete as a design can be, you can tweak forever) and likely to get published in the near future (i.e. within 2 years, publisher has a load of work to do on their part before publication of a game)
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Wow andy, the listing terminology alone is more complicated than my game...I would never be able to explain it. Looking at some of the stuff I dont think mine would be too appealing to adults as it looks like Ludo. Best to stick to my day job...oops just remembered I'm retired. Think I'll just stick to making a few and giving them away, cos in design alone you are in another league. Very impressed though...looks like a lot of work has gone into it, so well done.
  • Options
    Don't give up, there is a huge variety of games out there. Check out Nestor games. They're a one man Spanish publisher and probably games more similar to your design.
  • Options
    I love monopoly, always beast it