Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Olympic Stadium Legacy.

Leaving any "rivalry" aside, is it right that West Ham are going to take over the stadium? It probably makes commercial sense, but I can't help thinking it's a bit of an anti climax to have football come and take it away from the sports it was built for.

Comments

• I think its good, someone pointed out in another thread that it could make them broke with 5 years :)
  • I think the one big mistake they made with the stadium was not building it in such a way that it could be converted easily for football, and then back again for track and field when needed. I just don't think there is enough regular demand for it to be commercially viable as a purely athletics venue Rob? Shame though, as you point out.
  • I think the one big mistake they made with the stadium was not building it in such a way that it could be converted easily for football, and then back again for track and field when needed. I just don't think there is enough regular demand for it to be commercially viable as a purely athletics venue Rob? Shame though, as you point out.

Maybe it could've doubled as a music/athletics venue, but the Greenwich Tent would put the kibosh on that idea. And West Ham do need a bigger ground I suppose, if only to fit Big Sams big head in it!
  • I would have given it to Athletics and American Football personally, there would be enough demand for tickets as there are a lot of fans over here, and every 'Away' team will have a UK following. I think the 'London Beefeaters/Towers/Blitz/Royals/Regulars' would have been great!
  • I always wondered if there really was a genuine "legacy" for the stadium I guess there would have been if Wembley hadn't been redeveloped but personally I wouldn't want to watch Football there as you would be too far from the pitch. Agree with BigRob it should have been designed so that the athletics stadium could be retracted but apparently that was rejected by the Olympic committee.

If I am very honest, and I want to add I loved The Olympics, I always thought the legacy thing would be encouraging youngsters to take up sport it was never a reality that the venues would be widely used after all the cyclists all live and train in Manchester why would they change that? The Stadium is frankly at 80,000 capacity too big for either West Ham or Spurs it would bankrupt them.

So it will stage the Athletics world cup (whenever that is) and the occasional event but probaly like all these stadiums it will stand empty most of the time. Shame but it was worth it anyway.
  • sam3110 said:

I would have given it to Athletics and American Football personally, there would be enough demand for tickets as there are a lot of fans over here, and every 'Away' team will have a UK following. I think the 'London Beefeaters/Towers/Blitz/Royals/Regulars' would have been great!

Sorry? The Olympic Stadium to be used for American Football? The only reason the American Football games sell out Wembley Stadium is the novelty factor of it only being over here once a year. There's no way there's enough interest in this country to fill it out on a regular basis for a sport which the vast majority of Brits have zero interest in.

Plus, the stadium is going to be reduced to 60,000 for Football - which, although still very large, is a little more manageable and realistic for a club like Spurs and maybe even West Ham on the odd occasion.

• Can't agree with all of that Dave, especially as it was me not Rob who mentioned the retractable stands... LOL.

I think there is definitely room for a second world class velodrome in a city of 10 million people in a country where cycling is becoming a major sport. The swimming pool is being scaled down and will be used by locals, so will the copper box , BMX track and the white water venue which is already in line for the world championships next year. I seem to remember one of the other venues is being taken down and moved to Basildon or somewhere?

The main stadium is a problem though, If it is not going to be a dual purpose venue perhaps Orient and the Hammers could share it? It could be used for big Wembley style concerts in the summer which might be too big for The Dome?
  • edited December 2012

Can't agree with all of that Dave, especially as it was me not Rob who mentioned the retractable stands... LOL.

Alright AA pal, I'll let you have that idea. ; )

• BIG_ROB said:

Can't agree with all of that Dave, especially as it was me not Rob who mentioned the retractable stands... LOL.

Alright AA pal, I'll let you have that idea. ; )

:-)
  • Rightho guys well one of you mentioned a retractable stand. Stand by my comments the GB National cycling team will continue to train in Manchester hence anyone with talent will have to move there to progress. The pool is usable that thats great but the stadium I fear will be underused drastically.

Still who cares it was great and I loved every minute.