Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Boxing Day Tube Strike confirmed

Comments

• Options
    Sounds like an absolute gravy train for all concerned.
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

We pay your wages thats the poor f__kers that have no choice in using the shit system and you pay him £120k plus a year nice one.

Like he gives a f++k about the public we are USED by his Union to get YOUR demands. Its the grief and shit year after year that we have to puct up with that gets YOUR demands.
    OUR HASSEL

Health and Safety is just another load of bollox used to get his demands through.

Good post GH pal!
    No, it was his one a day froth at the mouth moments:-).

I dont pay Bobs salary no more than GH does and they are certainly not my demands.
    I design and make things and stuff for a living.

I just think some people look at others and belittle their jobs and worth. As I always say, if you think you can do the job or are worth more money, give it a try.

BTW GH the tube network is far from being a shit system. Also I've seen with my own eyes people lose body parts because Health and Safety was treated as bollox. HSE prosecute for bollox attitudes.
  • Options

We pay your wages thats the poor f__kers that have no choice in using the shit system and you pay him £120k plus a year nice one.

Like he gives a f++k about the public we are USED by his Union to get YOUR demands. Its the grief and shit year after year that we have to put up with that gets YOUR demands.
    OUR HASSEL

Health and Safety is just another load of bollox used to get his demands through.

Ha ha ha, as long as Uncle Bob is pissing you off to this extent he'll get my membership money each month. This has made my Christmas.

Long Live Bob, Long Live The RMT.
  • Options
    Good to see that Bob Crow upsets the right wing nutters amongst us, despite being Millwall perhaps he's not all bad after all.

Perhaps if Boris Johnson really is the man he wants us to think he is then he'll have it out with Crow and we'll see what he's really made of. I think that Boris, unlike Maggie and others, may lack the testicular fortitude to take this battle on, especially in mid winter.

However, in all seriousness, getting paid 52K for driving a tube is a bloody good wicket, that's more than many highly qualified professionals get so methinks that the tube drivers need to be very, very careful about how they play this less they kill the goose that lays the golden egg.
  • Options
    Plaaayer said:

Bob Crow must be a man of the people, he lives in a council house after all!

If he went and bought a mansion you'd all beat him with the stick "how can he be in touch with his member's in his 8 bedroom country estate?".
  • Options
    cant see what all the fuss is about. apart from going to the footy what other problems is the strike going to cause ?

It might have some benefits like getting all those sad people who want to go shopping ( like the other 363 days a year) to get a life
  • Options

that's more than many highly qualified professionals .

I know what you mean but estate agents call themselves professionals:-)

52k is a good wage (if that is in fact true basic wage which I suspect its not) but with shift work, anti-social hours, a management and general population that thinks you a tad undeserving.... I'm not sure its enough.
  • Options
    O totally agree with bob crow and striking when it is to do with the stripping of maintenance, driverless trains,etc,etc. Do not agree though when they want more cash

• Options

Like he gives a f++k about the public we are USED by his Union to get YOUR demands. Its the grief and shit year after year that we have to put up with that gets YOUR demands.
    OUR HASSEL

Ha ha ha, as long as Uncle Bob is pissing you off to this extent he'll get my membership money each month. This has made my Christmas.

What do you do then?

• Options
    Is RedArmyse7 Bob Crow?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He's so far up his arse he may as well be.
  • Options

Good to see that Bob Crow upsets the right wing nutters amongst us, despite being Millwall perhaps he's not all bad after all.

Perhaps if Boris Johnson really is the man he wants us to think he is then he'll have it out with Crow and we'll see what he's really made of. I think that Boris, unlike Maggie and others, may lack the testicular fortitude to take this battle on, especially in mid winter.

However, in all seriousness, getting paid 52K for driving a tube is a bloody good wicket, that's more than many highly qualified professionals get so methinks that the tube drivers need to be very, very careful about how they play this less they kill the goose that lays the golden egg.

Really though is it worthwhile Boris trying to fight it. After all, the increase in their already over inflated wages is just passed on to the users of the system. Few of us actually have an alternative but to use the system to get around London so we end up paying it.

It is an absolute disgrace. I'm all for people having to strike as a last resort IF their pay and conditions are poor. I don't think any of the tube staff (drivers especially) can honestly say either of those things are true. Here's an idea though. If people don't want to work bank holidays, how about they don't follow a career where you will potentially have to work them?
  • Options
    As soon as anyone gets the better in an argument with the likes of Crow, they bring safety into it when in reality, it's always over dough!
  • Options
    Its not about wanting or not wanting to work Bank holidays its about what they think is the rate for a days work. Since you have to ballot for a strike and give 28 days notice this is the last resort for them. Why should you only strike if conditions and pay are poor? Wait until they get that bad the the jobs not worth doing anyway.
    Their union would advise them otherwise if they didn't think they had a chance of improved conditions.
  • Options
    edited December 2012

How much should a train driver be paid then? I dont think its greed or stupidity to want a good wage for the work that they do.

Less than nurse. I think its insulting that a tube driver earns 3x what a nurse does, especially for 'the work that they do'
  • Options

Its not about wanting or not wanting to work Bank holidays its about what they think is the rate for a days work. Since you have to ballot for a strike and give 28 days notice this is the last resort for them. Why should you only strike if conditions and pay are poor? Wait until they get that bad the the jobs not worth doing anyway.
    Their union would advise them otherwise if they didn't think they had a chance of improved conditions.

Sorry I didn't mean only strike is pay and conditions are poor. I meant that in the scenario that the tube drivers are using that is their reason for striking. Like I said I don't think many could argue that they are poor.
  • Options
    So Shine, it should be a race to the bottom them? Pay drivers less than £9per hour. You wont get people doing the job for that.
    What about paying nurses more? Or how about nurses demand better pay . They wont of course, low paid profession always has been always will be and everybody is happy to exploit them.
  • Options
    edited December 2012

So Shine, it should be a race to the bottom them? Pay drivers less than £9per hour. You wont get people doing the job for that.
    What about paying nurses more? Or how about nurses demand better pay . They wont of course, low paid profession always has been always will be and everybody is happy to exploit them.

Not really, but thinking 50k isnt enough wages to sit on your arse and push a button for 10 hours a day is arrogant... I think it needs to be put into perspective.

If a driver is on 50k, then a nurse should be on 100k +
  • Options
    edited December 2012

OUR HASSEL

Here Here. My £13 a month is well worth it when it gets those responses.. Long Live Bob.
  • Options
    Disagree there Shine. I know this won't be popular, but if someone enters into a career with low pay, I really don't see how they can then later moan that it doesn't pay enough.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Its amazing reading the posts on here, not many actually seem to know what the strike is about yet still make comments about the wrong bloke, brilliant.

My view on Bob Crow, great if he's fighting for you, but a bugger if he's in the oppos corner.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    cafc999 said:

O totally agree with bob crow and striking when it is to do with the stripping of maintenance, driverless trains,etc,etc. Do not agree though when they want more cash

I work on the railways ( not the tube) and i don't know anybody who would strike for more pay especially in the current economic climate.
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

As soon as anyone gets the better in an argument with the likes of Crow, they bring safety into it when in reality, it's always over dough!

That's utter rubbish.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    shine166 said:

Not really, but thinking 50k isnt enough wages to sit on your arse and push a button for 10 hours a day is arrogant... I think it needs to be put into perspective.

Shine, how do you know that a driver just sits on his arse and presses a button for 10 hours a day? Have you ever driven a train? I worked on some rolling stock and believe me, it is quite involved. Remember, they are also responsible for the safety of all the passengers on their train and platform.
    Also, if someone is willing to give them 50k then good luck!
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Its amazing reading the posts on here, not many actually seem to know what the strike is about yet still make comments about the wrong bloke, brilliant.

My view on Bob Crow, great if he's fighting for you, but a bugger if he's in the oppos corner.

Can someone explain what it is then? This is what I read:

“This result shows the strength of feeling among our Tube driver members,” said Aslef general secretary Mick Whelan. “We are seeking quite reasonable assurances – that working on this day will be voluntary and that those who do attend will be adequately compensated. It is beyond belief that management cannot make an offer that achieves these points.”

So that to me says the majority want to choose whether they work on a traditional bank holiday, as I said above if that is what you want, don't take a job where you will have to work it. Secondly, how can those that "volunteer" to work a compulsory work day then ask for more money on top of their already extortionate salary.

Both arguments to me seem totally ridiculous. Or have I got it wrong and that's not what they are striking about?

• Options

BIG_ROB said:

That's utter rubbish.
    If I say it's not, you'll come back with a massive post regarding safety.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Disagree there Shine. I know this won't be popular, but if someone enters into a career with low pay, I really don't see how they can then later moan that it doesn't pay enough.

So you can only complain when you are on high wages and want more ?.
  • Options
    I do not believe for one second that a tube driver job is worth the figures quoted (compared to nurses, bus drivers etc) and when the tube drivers are laid off due to expense and automation, I think they will struggle to earn similar wages for driving anything other than spaceships. That said if my union was that strong I might be earning a great deal more than I do now and I would not complain.
  • Options
    cafc999 said:

shine166 said:

Shine, how do you know that a driver just sits on his arse and presses a button for 10 hours a day? Have you ever driven a train? I worked on some rolling stock and believe me, it is quite involved. Remember, they are also responsible for the safety of all the passengers on their train and platform.
    Also, if someone is willing to give them 50k then good luck!
    Well ive never seen one step out of his carrige to see if the passengers are ok and generally other staff are on a platform to take care of that.
    If they do more, please let me know as it may change my opinion.
  • Options
    automation will not happen in our lifetime, there is no one brave enough to make that decision