Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Reading

It has been amusing reading the posts of a few deluded souls comparing Charlton's progress this season with Reading. Having watched them (tv/ahem) a few times this season, it's blatantly clear that they are not good enough for the premier league even with their expensive additions.
If we scrapped our way to promotion we really would become one of, if not the worst premiership teams ever.
I can't think of one player currently on our books who would cut it at that level. Am I being harsh? Who do you think is/will be premiership quality in our squad by the end of this season?

Comments

• Options
    Wiggins , Hamer and Solly could all cut it in the prem . Other than that I think your probably right.
  • Options
    Don't think you have too much to worry about. Even with major investment in Jan the chances of promotion would be very slim at best, although it would make for a fun run in.
  • Options
    Get promoted, pocket the cash and sign a few low premier league/high championship end players, wait for the inevitable relegation, THEN build for the future, with financial stability.

Even though we probably won't get promoted.
  • Options
    Solly. Thats it.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Solly definately and now could play PL.

Wiggins has the potential in a couple of years.

Hamer at an outside bet, same with Morrison.

Apart from that lot no one except some of the kids in a few years time.

I agree with Kentaddick though...get promoted and take the cash to improve the team and pay of the debts.

You can "build a team" for years without getting anywhere - just ask Wenger.
  • Options
    Solly only the boy is prem class and always has been
  • Options
    edited December 2012

Get promoted, pocket the cash and sign a few low premier league/high championship end players, wait for the inevitable relegation, THEN build for the future, with financial stability.

Then spend the next two seasons selling the best of the bunch, paying the inflated wages of the also-rans while they go through the motions, and as if by magic "hey! prestissimo!" we're f*****ed!

;0)
  • Options

It has been amusing reading the posts of a few deluded souls comparing Charlton's progress this season with Reading. Having watched them (tv/ahem) a few times this season, it's blatantly clear that they are not good enough for the premier league even with their expensive additions.
    If we scrapped our way to promotion we really would become one of, if not the worst premiership teams ever.
    I can't think of one player currently on our books who would cut it at that level. Am I being harsh? Who do you think is/will be premiership quality in our squad by the end of this season?

What expensive additions?? They've spent next to no money (4 mill I believe) you can't compare them to us at all
  • Options

Solly definately and now could play PL.

Wiggins has the potential in a couple of years.

Hamer at an outside bet, same with Morrison.

Agree with this.
  • Options
    Hamer, Solly & Wiggins.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'd swap places with them now, no question.

Yes, they might go down (although that's not a certainty) but they are in the prem and will be strong position even if they do drop because they haven't overspent and have very rich backers.
  • Options
    I doubt many of our players would cope in the PL, Solly is a possibility, a fit Fuller would of course. Maybe Hamer or Button.

People have high hopes for Wiggins, but he needs to prove himself in the Championship first before people can talk about him stepping up, the same applies to Morrison.
  • Options
    It's sadly becoming a fact of life that anyone that gets promoted to the Premier League will struggle. The resources available to bottom third prem clubs and top third Championship clubs are obscenely unbalanced but it remains that even one season in the top flight can if managed sensibly provide the platform for financial security and a good chance of making it back into the Premier League on a stronger and sounder level at least giving some hope of consolidation. As for Charlton I think only Solly is already good enough and we are realistically six players short of even a promotion push. I somehow doubt that the January transfer window will change that.
  • Options

But then again you could probably say that about the majority of the teams in this division. That's why they're in the Championship and not higher!

Is it harsh to say we would become one of the worst, if not THE worst, Premiership team ever? Yes, considering we aren't even in it.

Who really thought that Wigan would still be there after all these years?!
  • Options

Just like Derby did a few years ago?

Sadly all depends on what money we would have to play with.

• Options
    Nicholas said:

Just like Derby did a few years ago?

Sadly all depends on what money we would have to play with.

In all fairness, with the new TV deal it will look like Derby were in receipt of soup kitchen handouts in comparison to where a one season shot will get you nowadays.
  • Options
    Wiggins, Solly, Morro would do a job, Pong, Fuller. I personally think our team is better then Readings now...

Reading players who would get in our 1st 11: Le Fondre, Kebe, Tabb possibly, Their defence is dross and goalkeeper although didnt do much wrong last night doesn't look better then Hamer IMO
  • Options
    Shorey obviously while wiggins is out but personally think wiggins is a better player now and shorey isnt as good as he used to be.
  • Options
    Problem with reading is they have blown there budget on pogremniak 12 million I think it was, defence and midfield should be priority.

As for us I would say solly and fuller good enough for prem, people saying hamer I still think he is finding his feet at this level let alone ready for prem, also wiggins is still untested at championship level even though i think he would cope we don't know yet.
  • Options
    just Solly and Stephens for me. Disagree entirely with those that say Fuller.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes, I can read.
  • Options

Yes, I can read.

whooshhhh
  • Options
    Reading are on a different planet to us.
    We are a mid table side at best, maybe not even that good.
    Not one of our players would cut it in the Premier league. If they were good enough thats where they would be playing.
    Solly might make in the future so may one or two others but last year most of them were league 1 standard.
    Wish things were different but the players we've got the FA cup will be the only way we will be playing top flight teams anytime soon.
    That said, this aint that bad is it? we are hard to beat and play some decent stuff 30 minutes a game.
  • Options
    Wiggins
  • Options
    sollly, wiggins and fuller

morro and stephens have prem potential
  • Options
    With (massive) help from parachute payments, Reading will probably yo-yo between the prem and the champ over the next few years. Too good for the champ, well below muster for the prem. However some players might well become disillusioned and either seek to move on or cease to give of their all for the cliub.
    As far as CAFC is concerned, IF we get promotion (unlikely but not impossible) and prove to be the worst ever prem team, so what ? .. I dare say the boo boys will fill their lungs with rage and make their 'feelings' known as they did for Lord Llewellyn, but the comfort of large sums of cash, which, if spent wisely could ensure the future of the club would be great consolation. The key words are 'spent wisely'. Football club owners and managers have a propensity to spend money like drunken sailors on shore leave after 6 months at sea.
    As for Reading ? : Attack and midfield are adequate, defence a shambles. Nothing that Solly and Morrison couldn't help to sort out
  • Options
    Remember Hamer was 3rd (4th?) choice keeper at Reading when we signed him, that shows the depth of their squad. That they've struggled in the PL shows the gap between the Championship and PL. West Ham have coped better, as they have players with PL experience, indeed should never have been relegated in the first place!

Due to our situation, the youngsters who could make the step up (Shelvey, Jenkinson) have been sold, along with others (e.g. Bailey?) who might make the grade. Looking back to our 98/99 promotion, most of the Wembley team played a part in the PL the following season, and weren't disgraced, but then that was a far better team than the current one.
  • Options

most of the Wembley team played a part in the PL the following season, and weren't disgraced, but then that was a far better team than the current one.

This is very true and the gap then, player quality and money wise, between the prem and the champ was not as wide as it is now. Mere survival for a season or two in the prem for a newly promoted club usually entails spending lots of millions. Norwich and Wigan have done it on a comparitive shoestring, but how long can they last out ?
  • Options
    Isn't a large factor that has been missed the managers ability and influence? We saw first hand what a group of players can achieve if correctly motivated and organised. As it happens I quite like McDermott and think he's a decent manager but he's no Curbs...
  • Options

most of the Wembley team played a part in the PL the following season, and weren't disgraced, but then that was a far better team than the current one.

This is very true and the gap then, player quality and money wise, between the prem and the champ was not as wide as it is now. Mere survival for a season or two in the prem for a newly promoted club usually entails spending lots of millions. Norwich and Wigan have done it on a comparitive shoestring, but how long can they last out ?
    When you think back to some of the players in that Wembley team, you realise the gap between then and now.

Top players like Mills, Rufus,Kinsella and Mendonca

Charlton stalwarts like Brown, Robinson, Newton, Keith Jones

Experienced top flight pros like Bright and Bowen

Solid pros like Youds

The talented Ilic

Steve Jones, ahem.

The likes of Barness and Mortimer who couldn't make the Wembley team. Morts would walk into the current team!